News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

trainplane3

Yes I know we all knew this ages ago. But Disney, or DVC, have now confirmed it, that's my point. To DVCers at least, but it is now "official".

The restaurant though, I'm not sure it will be. TOTWL is DVC exclusive, but I doubt DVC members can sustain an entire restaurant. TOTWL isn't full for most evenings until about 30 minutes before the fireworks. only at really busy times of the year is there any problem getting in, and the rest of the year they will sometimes let renters or cash guests at BLT up without a membership card.
To add to this, TOTWL was busier every other time EXCEPT when I was just down at WDW for Christmas. It was packed in August and September 2016 but Christmas weekend it was pretty empty. It certainly is random and I'm not sure a total DVC restaurant can be supported by only DVC'ers. And if they do go all DVC with it, I'd take a guess and say it would be a pretty standard menu and not California Grill tier.

nickys

Premium Member
To add to this, TOTWL was busier every other time EXCEPT when I was just down at WDW for Christmas. It was packed in August and September 2016 but Christmas weekend it was pretty empty. It certainly is random and I'm not sure a total DVC restaurant can be supported by only DVC'ers. And if they do go all DVC with it, I'd take a guess and say it would be a pretty standard menu and not California Grill tier.

The more I think about this, they may want it to be a resort TS restaurant akin to say Kona Cafe, to appeal to resort guests. So they might make it DVC members and any other resort guests. Unlike BLT, Riviera isn't a DVC part of another resort, so it won't have shared facilities. If they do that, then I agree, it won't be the "new Cali Grill".

At the very least I think the lounge will be for DVC members only, plus maybe those with restaurant reservations.

Minnie1976

Pictures from October of the building of the gondolas!
Sorry they aren’t good pictures. I tool them from the moving bus.

64514129-B5B2-4357-BE63-FDDCA91A8908.jpeg
B80E0325-DA75-4F9A-A855-54899D0A1CF5.jpeg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
While looking for the photos, I read some of the "thoughts" posted about the gondolas on the other site. Here's some of the "highlights":

- "I don't think the gondolas will allow wheelchairs or ECVs..."
- "It looks like it will take 60-80 seconds for a gondola to load/unload..."
- "No place for a gondola to disconnect..."
- "The gondolas look like they'll hold 4-6 people..."

o_O

tirian

While looking for the photos, I read some of the "thoughts" posted about the gondolas on the other site. Here's some of the "highlights":

- "I don't think the gondolas will allow wheelchairs or ECVs..."
- "It looks like it will take 60-80 seconds for a gondola to load/unload..."
- "No place for a gondola to disconnect..."
- "The gondolas look like they'll hold 4-6 people..."

o_O
LOL. This is the only site with trustworthy news, although I’ve mostly gone into lurker mode because I don’t have time to argue with self-styled police officers who think their singular opinions are the only legitimate ones. But hey, that describes the entire Internet! ;)

jt04

Those tower foundations look massive compared with ski area standards. I hear Disney wanted everything burlier for hurricane purposes.

Yes, I have been amazed by how uber-engineered this project is. The timeline makes more sense seeing this. Far beyond the previous Disney skyway.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Those tower foundations look massive compared with ski area standards. I hear Disney wanted everything burlier for hurricane purposes.

Might also have to do with the fact that they are going into much less stable ground then you probably have on a mountain.

Speaking of towers, are they normally installed by the contractor that is doing the station structures and foundations, or will that be done along with the lift equipment install?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yes, I have been amazed by how uber-engineered this project is. The timeline makes more sense seeing this. Far beyond the previous Disney skyway.

Where are you getting that this project is "uber-engineered", we have seen very little construction at this point that could lead to that could support that conclusion.

jt04

Where are you getting that this project is "uber-engineered", we have seen very little construction at this point that could lead to that could support that conclusion.

I am judging by the foundation work. And also the distances are far greater than I assumed.

Lift Blog

Might also have to do with the fact that they are going into much less stable ground then you probably have on a mountain.

Speaking of towers, are they normally installed by the contractor that is doing the station structures and foundations, or will that be done along with the lift equipment install?

Doppelmayr normally does its own concrete for towers and terminals and installs the steel. This project isn’t normal though.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

I would also assume that everything's burlier and more substantial because these lifts need to operate every single day up to 14-17 hours a day without a seasonal downtime for refurbishment like ski lifts.

Do you know if urban transports lifts build differently than ski lifts because they operate year round?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom