News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It was not a joke. They can run in wind speeds slightly above 40mph. They hopefully will not need to, but they can. I've been in touch with the manufacturer.

I thought you were joking that they will have AC when winds are more than 40 mph referring to those strong winds as "AC".

I thought it was a joke because we have several insiders saying rather definitely that they will not have AC.

Is changing one's mind about AC or no-AC something one does as the station foundations are getting ready to be poured?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I thought you were joking that they will have AC when winds are more than 40 mph referring to those strong winds as "AC".

I thought it was a joke because we have several insiders saying rather definitely that they will not have AC.

Is changing one's mind about AC or no-AC something one does as the station foundations are getting ready to be poured?

Yes, it probably wouldn't be to late. The biggest change would be to the cars, but if they are using an ultracapacitor system for power like London does, there would also need to be changes to the stations to accommodate the charging hardware.

mmascari

I think its always been an option but everything that has been said so far is that it won't have AC. I don't think it would be a huge deal with out it but it would be nice to have it as well.

Designed for AC, but then with AC that's broken or doesn't work well would be much worse than designed without AC from the beginning.

A design that's for AC has air movement goals that are all about keeping cool air in and hot air out. Not losing what's already been cooled. When the cooling mechanism breaks or isn't working correctly, this design has issues. Since, it's not set up to create ventilation and instead the air get's stagnate and hot. Not an issue if it's working as designed, but when broken the design creates issues. Just like a car or sealed building when the AC breaks. (Or a monorail.)

A design that's for ventilation, especially for passive ventilation, there's nothing to break. It creates ventilation from the movement of the car through the passive design of the cabin for air flow. More like an open air pavilion designed for a breeze.

Given the design trade offs, personally I would rather have proper ventilation than broken or sub par AC. Since we know the cabin air volume is relatively small vs the size of the open door and the limited size for a cooling unit, and the doors open every 5 minutes or so, I'm not sure an AC system could ever cool enough to be more than sub par even when working optimally.

SLUSHIE

Lets just assume they wont have AC, and if it does we can all be pleasantly surprised.

If they ever wanted to add AC at a later date, they could. During a refurbishment or whatever they could retrofit the cabins and add whatever hardware they need to the terminals.

These system are modular, it's not like because it wasn't initially built with it they would have to start all over. Its just an option for a standard system, sorta like the different options you can get when you are buying a new car.

In the ski industry though, you don't really see a lift get a retrofit all that often, usually how they were built is how they stay, because I guess it's not always worth the additional investment.

Last edited:

mmascari

In the ski industry though, you don't really see a lift get a retrofit all that often, usually how they were built is how they stay, because I guess it's not always worth the additional investment.

As a percentage of lifts in operation, it's probably a very small number of retrofits, but they do update them sometimes. Maybe some examples of the chairs being swapped out for a different style/upgrade. But, more often what's done isn't really a "retrofit" but a full replacement. Things like changing a double or triple chair that's not detachable into a high speed detachable chair. When they do this, I'm guessing they have to replace the towers in addition to the terminals too. Making it more of a full replacement than a retrofit. Done to increase uphill capacity.

Which isn't the same as just replacing the cabins for a different style on a gondola line. Adding in additional station-cabin interactions, such as charging, would be a little more involved than just swapping out cabins for a model with different passive features.

GCTales

Lets just assume they wont have AC, and if it does we can all be pleasantly surprised.

If they ever wanted to add AC at a later date, they could. During a refurbishment or whatever they could retrofit the cabins and add whatever hardware they need to the terminals.

These system are modular, it's not like because it wasn't initially built with it they would have to start all over. Its just an option for a standard system, sorta like the different options you can get when you are buying a new car.

@Lift Blog , how realistic is this scenario??

NormC

There will be no AC. Each leg is pretty short and the doors are wide open the whole time the gondola is in the station. It is an unnecessary expense. The Maxwell Ultracap powered AC system on the Emirates Air Line in London is not working well at all.

raymusiccity

Yea, but, they are going to have AC aren't they? I mean, they gotta have AC. And what about an in-flight snack? They gotta have that don't they? I hope they have a restroom on board so that people don't pee in the corners like they do on the Monorails.

There's always an alternative if it gets too hot ! 'Necessity is the mother of invention' !

article-2275618-176FE755000005DC-693_634x468.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom