News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Kman101

Decisions could certainly be reversed. I doubt they would be in this case just like they still don't offer direct daily water park service any more despite complaints. But yes, plans could change but at this time they do not plan on running buses.

Should be interesting when the gondolas open and busses stop running. But very true they seem to ignore guests wanting direct water park service. Personally their bus system and how they run routes needs an overhaul but that's another discussion for another time. I'll shut it about the busses, I just think they'll have issues on their hands and maybe they won't care. They shouldn't and should hold their ground. Wouldn't want to be a guest services CM around that time lol. Sorry for repeat discussion I just thought it was interesting to talk about, some don't so I'll move on :)

Maeryk

Agreed. Sorry I brought busses back into the discussion but I just know how guests at WDW behave lol. And they cave into guests. They don't stand their ground so I was just musing about them reveresing the bus decision. Sorry to get some folks riled up over repeat discussion LOL. I agree they need to have no bus service when the gondolas open but I just see them having trouble changing guests habits. Not trying to look for silly problems or anything like the AC discussion ....

It's a bit meta, but let's not forget Disney's primary goal is to attract guests, and make them happy. As such, things are subject to change based on guest sat numbers. They aren't about to cut off their nose to spite their face, and intentionally tick off large swaths of people. A few here and there, sure.. basically because they cannot be all things to all people. But if half the people staying at those resorts won't use the new system, Disney will have to come up with something. They won't risk that much negative press. No plan survives point of contact.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But if half the people staying at those resorts won't use the new system,

That is highly, highly, highly unlikely. You think cheerleaders aren't going to use the lift? You think children aren't going to demand that their family use the lift? You think people who choose CBR won't know there's a lift involved and that their price went up because of that lift? You think people buying into Riviera DVC won't be told over and over again how great this is because of the lift, and yet buy into Riviera while firmly deciding to never use that lift?

And besides, what if they don't use the new system? Are they going to stay at the resort and never go to Epcot or DHS? They'll Uber or Minnie Van or drive themselves. As far as WDW is concerned, they went to the parks -- doesn't matter how they got there.

Maeryk

That is highly, highly, highly unlikely. You think cheerleaders aren't going to use the lift? You think children aren't going to demand that their family use the lift? You think people who choose CBR won't know there's a lift involved and that their price went up because of that lift? You think people buying into Riviera DVC won't be told over and over again how great this is because of the lift, and yet buy into Riviera while firmly deciding to never use that lift?

And besides, what if they don't use the new system? Are they going to stay at the resort and never go to Epcot or DHS? They'll Uber or Minnie Van or drive themselves. As far as WDW is concerned, they went to the parks -- doesn't matter how they got there.

Note i said "IF". I'm talking about Disney's adaptability, and how plans seldom come through exactly as they were initially presented. That's all. If Disneys' solution to traffic and congestion is to get rid of buses, having those simply replaced by much lower capacity ubers seems rather bass ackwards to me. We'll see, obviously, but while I'm sure right now they think bus service will be eliminated... I'm not entirely certain reality will play well with that plan. That's all I'm saying.

Kman101

Oh it matters to them, but to some degree I agree with you. The majority will likely use them. It's probably not at all going to be an issue but again, guests are creatures of habit, you don't think they'll be any bit of dissatisfaction not having busses? I do. Maybe not to the extreme they reverse their decision to cut bus service at these resorts. But it's a big "what if". None of us can really say we know how guests will react and what form of transportation they'll want to use. Look at this thread, so many wrung their hands over it. People are driven by fear of the unknown.

Goofyernmost

Lots of things don't make people very happy, including a fear of gondolas, but that doesn't mean Disney should have to address every little personal issue. They simply wouldn't be building gondolas if it wasn't to save money and traffic on their roads.
If they insist that people use the magic bus and go on and on about how the immersion experience is something close to Nirvana, then Disney sure as hell better consider on property transportation to be a priority. That is a step beyond personal issue. You create a captive audience you have the responsibility to consider their individual needs. Nothing there is more serious then that.

Goofyernmost

They are not all bus only. The magic kingdom resorts have no option other than monorail to get to Epcot. The Epcot resorts have no option outside of a very long walk to get to DHS. So if guests have issues with either of those modes of transportation they will have issues at those resorts.

Obviously bus service could and would be utilized as a back up. But that's different from being a daily offering.
Or walking or boats. Not the only option I'm afraid. And buses if necessary.

IanDLBZF

If you are staying in Fort Wilderness your only option to get to MK is the boat. Only if the boats are down do they run buses. I see the Gondolas at those resorts as being similar.
I think it may be similar to what we have over at POFQ, PORS, OKW, and SSR with their boats to Disney Springs to supplement the buses.

Goofyernmost

... and this will be one of the problems with offering buses, especially when the gondola first opens. If you offer buses people will use them out of habit even when they have no good reason not to use the gondolas. It's clearly not to Disney benefit that people uses the buses when gondolas are an option.
You don't really believe that most will not want to go on the gondola do you? I don't even stay onsite, but, I can't wait to ride it. But, you know why, because I can without any personal issue jumping in there and causing problems. That is me and the vast majority will want to use the gondola once they are in operation. Those are not the people that Disney has to concern themselves about. It is the others and those others can be vocal, they can tell friends how Disney abandoned their needs and feelings, they can scream it all over social media. They have no reason to abandon those needs. The full operation of the buses are not necessary, but, the option is.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
You don't really believe that most will not want to go on the gondola do you? I don't even stay onsite, but, I can't wait to ride it. But, you know why, because I can without any personal issue jumping in there and causing problems. That is me and the vast majority will want to use the gondola once they are in operation. Those are not the people that Disney has to concern themselves about. It is the others and those others can be vocal, they can tell friends how Disney abandoned their needs and feelings, they can scream it all over social media. They have no reason to abandon those needs. The full operation of the buses are not necessary, but, the option is.

I don't think it will be half the people at those resorts as someone else suggested, but I think if you offer buses people who don't really need them will end up taking them. I actually don't see full operation of buses being an option at all. Part of what is paying for this system is the savings from removing busses. If they have to run anywhere near the full complement of buses along with the gondola, then the gondola is a failure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom