News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Maeryk

There were steamships that were slower and smaller than the ferries we have today. They were replaced within a few years, but the monorail was never the only option. Setting your brand new park on the other side of a lake without a boat ride across is like having a gun on a theater stage that never gets fired.

http://www.imaginerding.com/2016/04/04/walt-disney-world-cruise-ships/

IIRC, the side wheelers didn't service the park directly from the TTC, rather, they ran like the resort launches do now, from the Bay Lake resorts to the park, including discovery island. But they weren't the same as the ferries.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
From Biorecontruct on Twitter. You can see the path has that the gondola will follow from the CBR station to DHS. The CBR south station will go in the land being cleared at the bottom of the picture.

DFb6HOfXsAMTyok.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is a summary of the current construction progress...

International Gateway: Construction wall in place.
Boardwalk: No evidence of work starting.
CBR North: Land has been cleared
CBR South: Land has been cleared
DHS: Utility markers have been seen in the area where the station will go.
AOA/Pop: Silt barriers and barges are in place on the lake. Construction equipment in the parking lot where the new boat launch is being built.

SLUSHIE

Really great to see how quickly they are starting work on this. I really wish we could have seen some photos of what the stations are going to look like. I think seeing that would give us a better estimate on how quickly this will be built. Either way, I think the terminals will need to be installed before any structure is built around it.

Once we see footers being poured for the towers though, I would expect it to come together pretty quickly after that

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Really great to see how quickly they are starting work on this. I really wish we could have seen some photos of what the stations are going to look like. I think seeing that would give us a better estimate on how quickly this will be built. Either way, I think the terminals will need to be installed before any structure is built around it.

Once we see footers being poured for the towers though, I would expect it to come together pretty quickly after that

@Lift Blog can confirm, but I believe it is the other way around, the station buildings will be built first and then the lift equipment can be installed in the building.

lazyboy97o

The deepest and most complicated foundations will be those in the water, so it might make sense to start them sooner.

lazyboy97o

I am surprised they haven't started on the Boardwalk turn station yet since that requires that a retention pond be reconfigured before construction can start.
That station would be of moderate complexity. Being a turning station it also does not have all of the guest access and clearance issues (don’t need to go to the ground when there isn’t loading) associated with the other stations.

Maeryk

My normal walking during a day at the parks is plenty justification for me.

Even with the walk from Y&B to Epcot, DHS (and one day, both), we get the most mileage in MK. 19.2K steps the year it was open till 2 AM. (and that was my count.. my wife did the half marathon that morning. and had some ungodly mileage).

Biff215

With the amount of walking I do over the course of a WDW trip I would never add to the by doing the walk to DHS even if it did save time.
I agree, but I've done it multiple times, usually trying to get one of my kids to nap in the stroller. It has to be one of the hottest walks in the summer sun, I would practically need a shower by the time I got to DHS.

Thanks for the updates on the construction process, this is going to be fun to watch it come together.

Kamikaze

good lord.. could you imagine the negative nancies if Disney said they were going to do a new boat route these days??

what about people that are afraid of the water..
what about weather...
what about pollution..
what about wind...
what about transfers...

Swap water for height and pollution for heat and you have the list of complaints for this.

Cosmic Commando

IIRC, the side wheelers didn't service the park directly from the TTC, rather, they ran like the resort launches do now, from the Bay Lake resorts to the park, including discovery island. But they weren't the same as the ferries.
Maybe they were used that way after they were retired, but everything I've seen seems like they originally went from TTC>MK. The model at the preview center had docks at the TTC, so I'm pretty sure they intended ferry service from there all along.

Maeryk

Maybe they were used that way after they were retired, but everything I've seen seems like they originally went from TTC>MK. The model at the preview center had docks at the TTC, so I'm pretty sure they intended ferry service from there all along.

Im digging in my memory.. remember riding them to discovery, and across bay lake on my first trip.. and that's before the covers were on space mountain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom