News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Does it really matter? If they thought it was in any way necessary they would have opted to do it. They aren't going to have all their guests that use the system complaining about it.

Yeah, there are enough guests complaining about how bad this system is even before they use it (or even before it's built)!! #GiveItAChance

Herah

Didn't @Lift Blog report early in this thread that there is only one air-conditioned gondola operating anywhere, and that it doesn't work well? How does that reconcile with Dopplmayer offering it as a checkbox option?

nickys

Premium Member
I don't see a problem in floating past firework storage. Fireworks are pretty easy to store, they just have to be dry and in temperatures below their ignition point. People do work there, it's not like Disney only has to worry about the place blowing up if guests are near.

Maybe, maybe not. However the issue with getting the barges through the same entrance twice a day, with all boats having to stop during that procedure would soon have people complaining.

In the end though, for whatever reason it was ruled out. Somewhere this was discussed, but no idea in what thread.

JoeCamel

I don't see a problem in floating past firework storage. Fireworks are pretty easy to store, they just have to be dry and in temperatures below their ignition point. People do work there, it's not like Disney only has to worry about the place blowing up if guests are near.
Other than crossing two roads and connecting three different bodies of water (one of which is 15+ feet higher than the others) this is a piece of cake. I suggest you spend some time with Google maps before you embarrass yourself further.

Kamikaze

Yeah, there are enough guests complaining about how bad this system is even before they use it (or even before it's built)!! #GiveItAChance

Because most posters here are coming from a place where they have literally zero experience with this type of system, and/or are basing their view of the system on the old Skyway.

Walter Elias Disney

Because most posters here are coming from a place where they have literally zero experience with this type of system, and/or are basing their view of the system on the old Skyway.
So many new attractions/transportation/entertainment coming to the Walt Disney World Resort and all we can do is complain? I'm thinking this will be pretty incredible and I'm sure everyone will be utilizing this new system. I'm going back to the original thought that change will be constantly happening. Unfortunately, there are many that dislike change and have a rough time fathoming a new tradition. Sometime I believe the vast opportunities of land is a detrimental to our parks. We want the parks to continue with what we know and then receive MORE on top of that. That is why the original park is successful with their landlocked situation. Constant change happens.

cindy_k

These are awesome! Disney needs to up the wrap game.
Singapore-Cable-Car-50f3c969043c4.jpg

rob0519

Does it really matter? If they thought it was in any way necessary they would have opted to do it. They aren't going to have all their guests that use the system complaining about it. They aren't going to risk potential problems with guests overheating, etc.

If it saves Disney money , they will take that over guests complaining any day. Guests complain about things everyday and for the most part are just ignored. Now, I'm sure the Disney attorneys had an insurance actuary run numbers on how many fatalities from heat stroke could be expected per year based on running gondolas without A/C and the price of the resulting lawsuits. If the numbers worked in their favor, no A/C it is. (Anyone remember the Ford Pinto?)

thomas998

They did on-site testing and determined it wasn't needed.

There have been numerous people who have reported in this thread riding gondolas without AC in similar (or hotter) environments and that the lack of AC was not an issue.
Unless you were present and saw the test why put so much faith in it. Years ago companies put out press releases that said smoking wasn't bad, that asbestos was safe... and on and on. Depending on how you conduct a test you can get just about any result you want. I'll accept that someone did a test and determined Disney didn't need AC... but that doesn't mean I believe they don't need AC.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

If it saves Disney money , they will take that over guests complaining any day. Guests complain about things everyday and for the most part are just ignored. Now, I'm sure the Disney attorneys had an insurance actuary run numbers on how many fatalities from heat stroke could be expected per year based on running gondolas without A/C and the price of the resulting lawsuits. If the numbers worked in their favor, no A/C it is. (Anyone remember the Ford Pinto?)

You're right, they'd be willing to deal with complaints over cost for the most part - but they wouldn't dare not put in AC if it was actually needed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Unless you were present and saw the test why put so much faith in it. Year ago companies put out press releases that said smoking was a bad, that asbestos was safe... and on and on. Depending on how you conduct a test you can get just about any result you want. I'll accept that someone did a test and determined Disney didn't need AC... but that doesn't mean I believe they don't need AC.

We have had people on this thread who have ridden gondolas is climates as bad or worse the Florida and have said they were comfortable.

Maeryk

We have had people on this thread who have ridden gondolas is climates as bad or worse the Florida and have said they were comfortable.

Next you'll be telling me Disney expects northerners to stand outside in lines for hours in the Florida sunshine! And that they "tested" that and found out since a handful of people were okay with it, they'll be actually DOING it! That's INSANE!

Kamikaze

Unless you were present and saw the test why put so much faith in it. Year ago companies put out press releases that said smoking was a bad, that asbestos was safe... and on and on. Depending on how you conduct a test you can get just about any result you want. I'll accept that someone did a test and determined Disney didn't need AC... but that doesn't mean I believe they don't need AC.

Unless you've experienced this scenario, why would you be so adamant that AC is needed? Once again, there are systems in hotter, more humid climates without AC. And there are people on this forum who have been on those systems and said that the lack of AC was not an issue. This isn't a unique system. There is real world data to back up the decision.

I believe even @Lift Blog - who, as by his name indicates, runs an entire blog just on Gondolas and chairlifts, I believe personally vouched that the AC option was unnecessary. But lets take your completely uninformed opinion over real world data and someone who could be considered an expert, right?

cindy_k

Well, the loud ones do, anyway. If they are only on the back of the gondola in front of you, I think they will be cool. If they completely block your view of the landscape.. no thanks.
I am assuming that these are the wraps that you can see thru on the inside, like they put on busses.

Having baby Mickey's and Minnie's floating thru the sky would be attractive to children and families, which is Disney's audience. Kawaii sells.
-10-pieces-lot-mickey-tigger-ball-shaped.jpg

Dapper Dan

Other than crossing two roads and connecting three different bodies of water (one of which is 15+ feet higher than the others) this is a piece of cake. I suggest you spend some time with Google maps before you embarrass yourself further.
I don't know which body of water you're talking about that is 15 feet higher, because it doesn't exist. Crossing two roads also isn't a problem, it's called a bridge. You might even say they did this exact same thing on the other side of the park, even crossing two roads in the process.

...it's a yungle

IMO, no a/c seems to be an opportunity for WDW. Imagine vendors at the entrance to every station selling souvenir Skyline cups full of ice, to hold between you and your new Frozen (get it?) hand held battery operated fan. DVC members receive 50% discount. :cool:

Kamikaze

I don't know which body of water you're talking about that is 15 feet higher, because it doesn't exist. Crossing two roads also isn't a problem, it's called a bridge. You might even say they did this exact same thing on the other side of the park, even crossing two roads in the process.

'Not a problem' except that it costs money.

What about the inefficiencies of the boat system (meaning capacity and speed)? They are targeting 4500-5000 riders per hour with this system, according to Lift Blog. Do you know how many Friendship boats that would take? I believe capacity is well less than 50, but lets call it 50, because round numbers = easy math. 4500/50 would mean NINETY Friendship boats. And the trip would take probably ten times as long.

cindy_k

'Not a problem' except that it costs money.

What about the inefficiencies of the boat system (meaning capacity and speed)? They are targeting 4500-5000 riders per hour with this system, according to Lift Blog. Do you know how many Friendship boats that would take? I believe capacity is well less than 50, but lets call it 50, because round numbers = easy math. 4500/50 would mean NINETY Friendship boats. And the trip would take probably ten times as long.
There isn't any A/C in the Friendship boats either. I would rather be in a gondola up in the air that was moving at speed on a hot day than a Friendship boat that I had to wait on a hot dock for 10 minutes or more to board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom