News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Note the comment about management.

It may be "cheaper", but I'm not talking about the economics here.

More about the possibilities and the innovation.

These things (can) hurt site lines, may or may not be able to operate when thunderstorms are in the vacinity, and are limited to single point to single point installations. (At least with current technology)

I personally have ALWAYS been enamored with the monorail and it's effectiveness and speed. It just screams futuristic.

Gondalas are cool, and could offer a unique perspective, but I'd much rather have something else.
It depends on how you look at this. Gondolas are gaining some traction as a potential for urban mass transit. They haven't really caught on yet in the US but WDW could actually be a showplace for the potential of the technology. Remember Walt was pretty interested in city planning and public transit. This project could be considered to be within the spirit of that thinking. A gondola system may not be sci-if futuristic but it could be a glimpse into a technology that could potentially be a part of the future of Urban mass transit.

Skyman1971

It depends on how you look at this. Gondolas are gaining some traction as a potential for urban mass transit. They haven't really caught on yet in the US but WDW could actually be a showplace for the potential of the technology. Remember Walt was pretty interested in city planning and public transit. This project could be considered to be within the spirit of that thinking. A gondola system may not be sci-if futuristic but it could be a glimpse into a technology that could potentially be a part of the future of Urban mass transit.
I totally agree. I'm really excited about this because I ride these machines all the time and love the mode of transportation. it is a quiet, relaxing ride, usually with a great view, and I've missed them in disney parks since they left. Walt sure liked them
9a0e3118f93fc0571d1a298529131963.jpg

JoeCamel

These things (can) hurt site lines, may or may not be able to operate when thunderstorms are in the vacinity, and are limited to single point to single point installations. (At least with current technology)

I personally have ALWAYS been enamored with the monorail and it's effectiveness and speed. It just screams futuristic.

Gondalas are cool, and could offer a unique perspective, but I'd much rather have something else.
OK Peter but it won't happen. Gondolas as proposed is what you will be looking at along BVD. I doubt your precious sightlines will be affected as the elevation will be as low as possible. How about dialing it back til you see what will be built?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Monorails Modern ? Hardly, the Wuppertal monorail opened in 1901 and still runs today.

matt9112

Since refrigerant based dehumidifiers take similar amounts of energy as AC, are we looking at some sort of desiccant air drying system?

Although insiders have said no ac there is electricity less refrigeration....how do you think fridge in cabins off the grid work? Granted this is a much higher load and is likely not viable.

EvilChameleon

I just think it's sad that people are so conditioned to stuff NOT happening, that when something actually IS happening, they don't believe it until they have asked 100 different questions.

NobodyElse

Just came across this story about a proposed system in downtown Chicago:
http://www.designboom.com/architect...dy-bond-marks-barfield-architects-05-05-2016/
Still just a proposal as far as I know, but the gondolas look way cool:
View attachment 193953

While the video in that article is neat, it's also a bit silly. By using time lapse footage for the background to their superimposed gondola renderings, they appear to be the slowest transportation option in the world.

michmousefan

While the video in that article is neat, it's also a bit silly. By using time lapse footage for the background to their superimposed gondola renderings, they appear to be the slowest transportation option in the world.
Yep, whoever produced the video was going for a very specialized feel for the clip. I just thought the gondolas looked neat... but also made by a designer, too. At any rate not an off-the-shelf product like WDW will likely get.

Lets Respect

I was one of the people who said I don't believe the gondolas will be built. Don't get me wrong, I believe there are permits out there and I believe that people are talking to insiders. I just believe the project will get cut at some point. Maybe when I see some construction pictures of the stations and all that then I will believe it 100% :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom