News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You mean the "theming" at Pop which can't be seen from a theme park.
Look, I don't think the gondola's and towers in sightlines are that big of a deal either and I think this is going to be a fun and popular addition to the parks (plus anything that is an alternative to buses is a win to me). However, there is difference between tacky but intentional theming which is not out of place in its created environment versus an intrusion on sightlines that effects theming in a way that was not intended when the park was first built and which changes the intended perspective.
Well said. I’m most concerned with the sight lines from inside EPCOT (France). I see no issue with the towers or gondolas passing through or near the resorts or DHS parking lot. They don’t look any worse than a road with a bus on it passing through.

Creathir

Well said. I’m most concerned with the sight lines from inside EPCOT (France). I see no issue with the towers or gondolas passing through or near the resorts or DHS parking lot. They don’t look any worse than a road with a bus on it passing through.
Completely agree with this and the above post.
It’s like the monorail, which actively comes INTO the parks on both coasts.

It was intentionally put where it was put, and it is themed correctly for the area where it is.

Had it wisked guests up Mainstreet and around the hub, or around the World Showcase, it would have broken the theme completely.

Honestly, I would have preferred the Skyliner enter directly into the Italian or German palvions, perhaps right between the two. Ski lifts are extremely prevalent within the Alps and both countries have significant resorts there. If it went directly into the rear of the pavilion, it could be thematically hidden away completely.

We’ll just have to see how intrusive the final product is, not that it will matter. It’s going where it’s going, and until it’s death rates really kick into high gear, it likely will be where it is for decades to come.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

It was intentionally put where it was put, and it is themed correctly for the area where it is.

Had it wisked guests up Mainstreet and around the hub, or around the World Showcase, it would have broken the theme completely.

Honestly, I would have preferred the Skyliner enter directly into the Italian or German palvions, perhaps right between the two. Ski lifts are extremely prevalent within the Alps and both countries have significant resorts there. If it went directly into the rear of the pavilion, it could be thematically hidden away completely.

We’ll just have to see how intrusive the final product is, not that it will matter. It’s going where it’s going, and until it’s death rates really kick into high gear, it likely will be where it is for decades to come.
I’m sure there are gondolas in France too, but it’s more the scale that screws things up. With the Eiffel Tower being small to attempt to look distant the towers might mess that up.

UpDog71

Which was the original plan (from what I understand), just closer to the Germany pavilion. This whole thing sprang up out of the Riviera resort project.

Creathir

I’m sure there are gondolas in France too, but it’s more the scale that screws things up. With the Eiffel Tower being small to attempt to look distant the towers might mess that up.
The Alps also exist in France.
Very true on both accounts, but usually you don’t ski at the English Channel.

As to the scale, completely agree. It’s breaks the forced perspective for sure.

Guessing there were not many options with handling that problem given where they wanted entry to be.

Maybe they’ll build a new one further set back as part of the renovations for Rat?

Missing20K

Maybe they’ll build a new one further set back as part of the renovations for Rat?
I believe insiders (@marni1971) said TDO is aware of the issue, and as of now there are solutions being discussed but nothing decided upon.

From the Rat thread:
Cover the Rat Courtyard?
Move the tower?
Remove the tower?
Maybe there has been movement on this since?

Goofyernmost

You mean the "theming" at Pop which can't be seen from a theme park.
Look, I don't think the gondola's and towers in sightlines are that big of a deal either and I think this is going to be a fun and popular addition to the parks (plus anything that is an alternative to buses is a win to me). However, there is difference between tacky but intentional theming which is not out of place in its created environment versus an intrusion on sightlines that effects theming in a way that was not intended when the park was first built and which changes the intended perspective.
Unless you insist on making the Gondola's to be offensive to the surroundings you will not see them that way. As for the POP situation just because something is "themed" does not at all mean that it is not gaudy and foolish looking. WDW Resort is all one resort. Whether something is not seen from the theme parks is not relevant.

The Gondola's, I believe will help the transportation problem, decrease the carbon footprint, even if it isn't anymore then a happy coincidence. There are many things that could break the overrated, immersion if you decide to look at it. But, you don't have to do that. You don't even have to look that way or focus on the background of anything. We see what we want to see. You are determined that the Gondola's are going to be awful to see and that will be what happens for you. I think they are a very positive thing that Disney has done and therefore to me they are indicative of the manner the goes all the way back to Walt himself and that is to do new and different things that enhance the overall Resort experience no matter where it is. The Disney fans are capable of hollering wolf every time any change is made and 99% of the time given a couple of years it all disappears from our consciousness and stops being a negative and starts being something special about the place. This to shall be the case with the Gondola's. At some point down the road the Gondola's will be as iconic as the Monorail is today.

There was an uproar when the original Skyway was taken down and that "wonderful" attraction went over more then one land in MK over the roof tops complete with AC units and crud on the roofs. My wife had her immersion bubble burst when riding over the the top of the 20K Leagues Lagoon and she found out that the subs didn't really dive under. Yet, we all survived and enjoyed the illusions anyway. It even let you see backstage which is looked upon today as a major sin and yet, we all still miss it and when they took them out there was a reaction of upset because an "icon" of MK was removed.

Goofyernmost

You're right. Actually reading the posts instead of assuming would just be too hard.
You're right. I have ordered my hair shirt. It seems that I don't look at every thread every day and happened to miss the posts that strayed off the track and assumed that we were still talking about the Disney gondola since the thread is about the Disney Gondola's. For that I have been attacked twice and have had to defend myself over something that is so unimportant that it is mind numbing. This is the last though, from now on I am officially unconcerned.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unless you insist on making the Gondola's to be offensive to the surroundings you will not see them that way.
I agree with this mostly, the one area where it’s completely false is the France pavilion. When a tower from the gondola is taller than the Eiffel Tower it ruins the perspective for just about everyone. Hopefully they are doing something to address this.

Kman

We'll be waiting for you...
View attachment 334291

Better than this...

1545250165723.png

NormC

You're right. I have ordered my hair shirt. It seems that I don't look at every thread every day and happened to miss the posts that strayed off the track and assumed that we were still talking about the Disney gondola since the thread is about the Disney Gondola's. For that I have been attacked twice and have had to defend myself over something that is so unimportant that it is mind numbing. This is the last though, from now on I am officially unconcerned.

During a discussion of the Disney Dopplemayr gondola system it would not be unlikely to think we might discuss other recent Dopplemayr installations for comparison purposes. No one attacked you.

Last edited:

shernernum

Unless you insist on making the Gondola's to be offensive to the surroundings you will not see them that way. As for the POP situation just because something is "themed" does not at all mean that it is not gaudy and foolish looking. WDW Resort is all one resort. Whether something is not seen from the theme parks is not relevant.

The Gondola's, I believe will help the transportation problem, decrease the carbon footprint, even if it isn't anymore then a happy coincidence. There are many things that could break the overrated, immersion if you decide to look at it. But, you don't have to do that. You don't even have to look that way or focus on the background of anything. We see what we want to see. You are determined that the Gondola's are going to be awful to see and that will be what happens for you. I think they are a very positive thing that Disney has done and therefore to me they are indicative of the manner the goes all the way back to Walt himself and that is to do new and different things that enhance the overall Resort experience no matter where it is. The Disney fans are capable of hollering wolf every time any change is made and 99% of the time given a couple of years it all disappears from our consciousness and stops being a negative and starts being something special about the place. This to shall be the case with the Gondola's. At some point down the road the Gondola's will be as iconic as the Monorail is today.

There was an uproar when the original Skyway was taken down and that "wonderful" attraction went over more then one land in MK over the roof tops complete with AC units and crud on the roofs. My wife had her immersion bubble burst when riding over the the top of the 20K Leagues Lagoon and she found out that the subs didn't really dive under. Yet, we all survived and enjoyed the illusions anyway. It even let you see backstage which is looked upon today as a major sin and yet, we all still miss it and when they took them out there was a reaction of upset because an "icon" of MK was removed.
Thank you for not reading my post and comprehending it, but instead moving the goalposts for your argument. I did not say nor do I believe the gondolas are “awful” and I said as much.
I said you were comparing apples to oranges which you still are when comparing the gondolas to Pop.
Pop may be gaudy and ridiculous, but the way it is themed and looks was intended.
Those who don’t like the sight lines of the gondolas from inside the park (especially near France) are talking about something that alters the perspective of an area that was themed and appears in a very intentional and distinct way.
There are plenty of other examples where that has happened across Disney property and it doesn’t often bother me. However, your comparison was not a good or relavent one and that is what I pointed out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom