News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner - Every Possible What If ....? Has Been Discussed.

lazyboy97o

Advertisement
Not sure how any of us can be sure about that at this point. We all know disney will surprise us by changing this project 5 more times before they break ground.
The permits for water management have been filed. Significant engineering work has been completed. This is not just a concept.

alissafalco

Any idea on the size of these? Surely they must be able to fit wheelchairs & scooters?? The little ones they have at ski lifts are too small.

Lift Blog

WDW95

Where will the maintenance facility be? And also, the route that's been floating around here is probably not accurate. I am 100% certain the gondolas will not travel above buildings and resort rooms.

Minthorne

Peter here from Lift Blog. I see someone linked to my article a few posts above. You guys can probably tell I've never been to Walt Disney World! However if anyone has technical lift questions I'd be happy to answer them. In addition to my blog about lifts I run a gondola operation at a major ski resort.
With regard to a drop/load station mid line (if that terminology makes sense) such as what would be at what is the new DVC location (also label CBR North in places) - I'm assuming this is also be a place where the gondolas detach. It is in the middle of the line. If a passenger wants to continue I also assume you would not disembark. Would the car move through the same loading queue or could it "fast track" back onto the cable? Or could it skip detaching altogether?

Lift Blog

With regard to a drop/load station mid line (if that terminology makes sense) such as what would be at what is the new DVC location (also label CBR North in places) - I'm assuming this is also be a place where the gondolas detach. It is in the middle of the line. If a passenger wants to continue I also assume you would not disembark. Would the car move through the same loading queue or could it "fast track" back onto the cable? Or could it skip detaching altogether?
Anytime there's an angle change more than a few degrees, cabins must detach, turn and re-attach with a time penalty of about 30 seconds. There are examples of straight mid-stations where cabins only detach in one direction but I doubt that would apply here. (Example: Heavenly, CA https://skiliftblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/img_57451.jpg)

Disney execs are probably grappling with which route will most commonly be taken and that will become the direct routing, whether it's two, three or four stages. Other lines can be built tangent to the main line, but passengers will have to transfer. That shouldn't be a big deal when cabins can be spaced as little as ~15 seconds apart on each line.

Last edited:

Lift Blog

Has anyone stated or taken a guess at how many cabins there might be running at a given time?
Hundreds. You guys could do some math assuming cabin spacing of 130 feet on the line and approximately 6 cabins in each station at any given time (12 for mid-stations as they are basically two stations put together with the turnarounds cut off.)

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Peter here from Lift Blog. I see someone linked to my article a few posts above. You guys can probably tell I've never been to Walt Disney World! However if anyone has technical lift questions I'd be happy to answer them. In addition to my blog about lifts I run a gondola operation at a major ski resort.
Hi, Peter!

So, among the lift enthusiast community, is the news (well, very very very likely rumor) that Walt Disney World is going to be using Gondola Lifts a big deal?

danlb_2000

Original Poster
Any input you have on this would be most welcome.

Top Bottom