News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Lift Blog

I hope the towers have a pleasant look.
csm_10-MGD_Hans_im_Glueck_dbb9d6a9be.jpg

csm_10-MGD_Schoenleiten_a32d48d88e.jpg

Biased but I think they look pretty cool.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
My apologies if this has already been answered: but approximately how high off the ground will these be traveling? Monorail height? Or much lower? I love the idea of these but I not sure if my fear of heights will stop me from enjoying them.

I imagine they will be just high enough to clear whatever is below them which may just be Monorail height in a lot of places. The highest will probably be over CBR where is has to pass over the buildings.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I am sure they have already planned out mini sets to sell at WDW to make it a starter in itself.

Still waiting for Rivers of Lights hanging lights in the shape of the floats... so, we'll see if they capitalize in this.

Here's a freebie for marketing: Take the Disney monorail playset and package it with a Disney gondola playset and MK railroad playset.

davis_unoxx

Does anyone know approximately how long it will take to get from Caribbean beach to Epcot, and Hollywood studios? Does anyone know if the capacity of theSkyliner be that there's little to no waiting? Thanks!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Does anyone know approximately how long it will take to get from Caribbean beach to Epcot, and Hollywood studios? Does anyone know if the capacity of theSkyliner be that there's little to no waiting? Thanks!

Based on what we know it will probably about 5 minutes per leg, and it's rumored that Disney is shooting for 4000 to 5000 per hour on each leg.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
My take on the renderings from a lift technology perspective: https://liftblog.com/2017/12/08/disney-chooses-doppelmayr-d-line/

Just yesterday, Whistler Blackcomb in Canada announced construction of North America's highest-ever capacity gondola for next year. Crazy that the top five gondolas by capacity are now all going to be built in one year.

When you talk about a capacity of 4000 to 5000 per hour, first I assume this is on each leg, but does that mean 4000 to 5000 in each direction, or total in both directions?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

The math was worked out above in the thread. From memory: the slowest people per hour that these gondolas would do is 2,400 pph. So, imagine a line with 240 people in it. Six minutes later... it's gone. Some have speculated the pph would be 4-5 thousand... I'm skeptical of that, but if true, would make it twice as fast.

Each leg is about 4-5 minutes. The longest trip would be AoA/PoP to Epcot at 12 minutes (from memory).

Since the line to board and the gondolas would be constantly moving, any wait would seem like nothing compared to waiting for a bus and stop-and-go traffic.

davis_unoxx

Thanks for replies @danlb_2000 and @MisterPenguin . Do you have to get of the gondola on every leg of the journey? Say if you're going from Caribbean Beach to Epcot, do you have to get out at Riviera? Or if you're going from Pop to Epcot do you get out? Or is there specific gondolas with specific destinations ions on them like buses?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom