New festival coming to Epcot in 2014

Cosmic Commando

A positive thing (if this is really true) is I don't see a technology theme slotting easily into the mold of F&W or F&G. Maybe it's a little creative thinking poking through. I'm not sure how Disney would monetize a technology festival, which I like. Booze with geeky names? Periodic table cookies? With geek chic, TED, and the Big Bang Theory(even if you don't like the show, it is still very popular), maybe the timing is right for something like this. I vaguely remember town hall meetings with famous guests during the planning phase for EPCOT... maybe this will be a throwback to an idea like that. TED talks have been viewed over a billion times online, and I don't think there's anything copyrightable about having some entertaining science presented to an audience. Epcot would be a pretty cool base for something like that. It would be a way of embracing the lofty ideals of the original pavilions, even if the current iterations are much more entertainment than education.

Figments Friend

I don't mind this at all. We all know Walt's vision for EPCOT was to be steps ahead of the "real world" in technology. We all know there's basically no way to do that at the pace that technology advances.

I see this as a yearly "homage" to that original vision.

Going to EPCOT to see technology we might use in our real lives 10 or 20 years from now. I like that idea.

And if it helps them sell tickets and Grey Goose slushies, I'm okay with that.

AS LONG AS IT'S DONE WELL. Big caveot there.

Agree. The key is that it needs to be DONE WELL...and not *dumbed down* for Guest Average. I am not saying it needs to be appealing to only science geeks and folks with a PHD, but make it intelligent and not insulting to my intelligence. That is the key.

If done with class, and done in good respects to the subject matter, this could be a HUGE plus for EPCOT....and i am not talking about *huge plus* as in ticket/merch/food sales either!

I am talking about it bringing back some of the intellectual aspects that made EPCOT great back in the day.
Back when the Park presented things such as new tech and forward thinking ideas that used to inspire people.

That can be done today, but it needs to be done in a creative and clever way.

Rodan75

I am envisioning a tech show like CES AND an Auto Show AND a Games expo. It would be awesome. You could also set up a similar festival in the vein of ShoWest at Disney Studios.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
And the server/bartender would be the Horizons butler robot. Or maybe R2-D2 outfitted as he was on Jabba's barge!

It would be great if this whole thing was to provide "employment" for the crapload of AA's that were on Horizons. "Out of the junk heap with you children who were learning to scuba dive with a seal! You've got work to do!"

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
True enough. I am just tired of EPCOT existing on stale festivals and food and booze sales.

You do realize that no pavilion in either FW or WS was built after 1989, right?

A few things Mr. Negative Nelly. First, the food and booze available at the EPCOT festivals is a great value! I tend to stock up on things just to take home. For example, we'll pour tons of choup purchased at the little kiosk outside of Canada into a spare purse my wife brings just for this. At $4.00 for 1.5 ounces the savings really add up fast! Secondly, you're forgetting about a few things. I think we can all agree that even though no pavilions have been built, the freshening up has been incredibly successful. For example, everyone knows the replacement for El Rio del Tiempo is probably the best thing in the history of things. Also, the turning of WoL into "The occasionally photographed, well decorated, storage facility o' fun" is appreciated by all. So consider these points before talking your tired trash, mister.

jdmdisney99

A few things Mr. Negative Nelly. First, the food and booze available at the EPCOT festivals is a great value! I tend to stock up on things just to take home. For example, we'll pour tons of choup purchased at the little kiosk outside of Canada into a spare purse my wife brings just for this. At $4.00 for 1.5 ounces the savings really add up fast! Secondly, you're forgetting about a few things. I think we can all agree that even though no pavilions have been built, the freshening up has been incredibly successful. For example, everyone knows the replacement for El Rio del Tiempo is probably the best thing in the history of things. Also, the turning of WoL into "The occasionally photographed, well decorated, storage facility o' fun" is appreciated by all. So consider these points before talking your tired trash, mister.
I believe you're missing a malcontent.

dhall

... Also, the turning of WoL into "The occasionally photographed, well decorated, storage facility o' fun" is appreciated by all. So consider these points before talking your tired trash, mister.
So that's where all the fun went! It seems to have gone missing, but now I know that they've been stockpiling it (probably trying to corner the market or something, before the boy who lived takes it all)

Cosmic Commando

Also, the turning of WoL into "The occasionally photographed, well decorated, storage facility o' fun" is appreciated by all. So consider these points before talking your tired trash, mister.
When they had that big DNA statue out front, I sometimes found myself pondering the complexity and mysteries of life on Earth (the wonders of life, if you will) instead of shopping. Problem solved!

JimboJones123

Locking this in between the Marathon Weekend and the Princess Marathon would be a bright idea. Lots of $$$ going through the parks with this crowd.

Oh well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom