New festival coming to Epcot in 2014

FigmentJedi

True enough. I am just tired of EPCOT existing on stale festivals and food and booze sales.

You do realize that no pavilion in either FW or WS was built after 1989, right?
I was going to reply with Mission Space, but I realized the only thing that keeps that from being a standalone ride with a gift shop is the McDonaldland playground. They really ought to put in a dark ride about the history of space exploration hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson or something in there.

WDW1974

I was going to reply with Mission Space, but I realized the only thing that keeps that from being a standalone ride with a gift shop is the McDonaldland playground. They really ought to put in a dark ride about the history of space exploration hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson or something in there.

Yeah, I forgot MS (which speaks volumes about how wonderful it is!) ... But I also tend to not include it because it did replace Horizons whether they built a new building for it or not.

The Tomorrownaut

I could think of nothing that would excite me more than this. That's exactly the type of exploratory and informational addition that Epcot has been missing for so long. I would love it!!!!!

PhotoDave219

True enough. I am just tired of EPCOT existing on stale festivals and food and booze sales.

My issue with the F&W portion of the current F&G festival is duofold:

1) The pineapple dole whip should be a pineapple float w/ rum, instead you end up with a shot of melted dole whip & rum and when you down it, it gets all icky. Doesnt sit well.

2) The food doesnt appeal to me at all.

Overall, There just arent enough F&G for me for the F&G festival. The topiaries are pretty, BUT.....

Cosmic Commando

I think that would put Epcot in the same category as Animal Kingdom: "Parks that have FEWER attractions than 7 years ago". Animal Kingdom lost that Pocahontas show without replacement, and Epcot lost Wonders of Life. They certainly haven't added new rides since then! How do ticket prices compare today to those in 2006?

Cosmic Commando

I love that man! Consulting on a new space pavilion to get the next generation "looking up" sounds like something that would be 100% right up his alley.

Cosmic Commando

I'd love to see him and Bill Nye in Tomorrowland or Futureworld at EPCOT. Really pitching real science, bringing back edutainment.
If you want to geek out like I did, Tyson's podcast (Star Talk) had a recent episode where he and Bill Nye were part of a panel for a Higgs boson "particle party". :cool: With his charisma and the way he has positioned himself as a spokesman for all of science, he would be a great narrator for SSE, too.

[rant]We have the darn touchscreens in every vehicle in SSE and it is 20 freakin' 13! I don't have anything against Judy Dench, but let us pick the narrator in SSE already! There are so many awesome people you could choose from! Neil deGrasse Tyson, Patrick Stewart, Morgan Freeman, James Earl Jones! You could have special narrations based on age range! You could have the old narrations hidden as "easter eggs" for the fanboys! Make it happen, Disney![/rant]

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If you want to geek out like I did, Tyson's podcast (Star Talk) had a recent episode where he and Bill Nye were part of a panel for a Higgs boson "particle party". :cool: With his charisma and the way he has positioned himself as a spokesman for all of science, he would be a great narrator for SSE, too.

[rant]We have the darn touchscreens in every vehicle in SSE and it is 20 freakin' 13! I don't have anything against Judy Dench, but let us pick the narrator in SSE already! There are so many awesome people you could choose from! Neil deGrasse Tyson, Patrick Stewart, Morgan Freeman, James Earl Jones! You could have special narrations based on age range! You could have the old narrations hidden as "easter eggs" for the fanboys! Make it happen, Disney![/rant]

I think what Disney marketing missed, is that there was a theme to Futureworld. It was a tribute what could be.

As a kid and teen, I remember going there, and being amazed. Were animitronics and rides fresh and new in the early 90s? No. But, the story the front part of the park wove was powerful. Start off with the best intact story left (though, I don't like the Judy Dench version as much as I did the Cronkite version)...Spaceship Earth. Then, Universe of Energy inspired future electricians and those who were interested in both environment and the energy required to power our civilization. Carousel of Progress showed us how transportation has improved our lives, and will improve the lives of all humanity. The Land gave us an understanding glimpse as to what it takes not only to be good stewards to the earth, but to feed earths growing population. The Living Seas gave a futuristic look into the largest part of the Globe we have largely left un-inhabited, our other frontier. Horizons tied it all together, with a story that touched on the possible futures hinted at in all the other pavilions. And Journey into Imagination told us how we were going to get there. Discipline, with outside of the box thinking and childish wonder when facing a puzzle.

That story has long since been replaced with themed attractions, poor attempts at thrill rides, and just general decay. Not decay of presentation, the presentation is fantastic (the Missions: Space building is fantastic, for example)...but decay of concept. There is no binding theme. And the park suffers as a result.

I always left EPCOT as a teen feeling inspired. Feeling wonder at what the future would bring.

I was still dreaming, as Tyson would say.

Cosmic Commando

That story has long since been replaced with themed attractions, poor attempts at thrill rides, and just general decay. Not decay of presentation, the presentation is fantastic (the Missions: Space building is fantastic, for example)...but decay of concept. There is no binding theme. And the park suffers as a result.
I'll out myself: I still love the new Universe of Energy. It may not inspire any electricians, but it gives a picture of our energy situation that is surprisingly not dated almost 20 years later. The crowning achievement of the attraction, IMO, is the ultimate message that brainpower is our most valuable resource and we (the big "we") have to think our way out of our problems.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'll out myself: I still love the new Universe of Energy. It may not inspire any electricians, but it gives a picture of our energy situation that is surprisingly not dated almost 20 years later. The crowning achievement of the attraction, IMO, is the ultimate message that brainpower is our most valuable resource and we (the big "we") have to think our way out of our problems.

I can see your point. I thought the addition of Ellen (not that I have an issue with her, I just would prefer Bill Nye or someone hosting the ride) is a stretch. Plus, I never found Ellen that funny (though she has her moments).

It's ok. Among the least diluted of the pavilions, for sure. I don't mind it, but I prefer the older version. Especially the pre-ride show. I miss those amazing cubes. There's a reason they are called "pavilions" and not "rides"...

RSoxNo1

Yeah, I forgot MS (which speaks volumes about how wonderful it is!) ... But I also tend to not include it because it did replace Horizons whether they built a new building for it or not.
Conversely, outside of Universe of Energy, the Mission: Space Pavilion is the oldest unchanged pavilion in Future World. Change has happened but the level of quality is suspect.

WDWFREAK53

May seems like the perfect time.
Like-minded people will be heading to DHS for Star Wars Weekends, have that same group stick around and see some cool new technology on display (They could even have "Tech of Star Wars" in there.)

Nemo14

May seems like the perfect time.
Like-minded people will be heading to DHS for Star Wars Weekends, have that same group stick around and see some cool new technology on display (They could even have "Tech of Star Wars" in there.)

Yes, but since they've got them hooked in already, they would make more $$ by scheduling a time when they would have to return, right?

jt04

There is an opportunity to bring in cutting edge tech and presentations. TED would be great. Or possibly even a mini-CES.

But seriously, no Bill Nye. Please no Bill Nye.

jt04

Centering events around the WoL pavilion would allow for live announcements and even televise the fair similar to CES. More and more companies prefer to stage announcements as stand alone events rather than being lost in a massive trade show. WoL could be used to attract unique announcements. It could even serve this function year round.

WDWFREAK53

Yes, but since they've got them hooked in already, they would make more $$ by scheduling a time when they would have to return, right?

Well, they'll be there for STAR WARS WEEKENDS...but maybe this will keep them on property for the rest of the week.

Buried20KLeague

I don't mind this at all. We all know Walt's vision for EPCOT was to be steps ahead of the "real world" in technology. We all know there's basically no way to do that at the pace that technology advances.

I see this as a yearly "homage" to that original vision.

Going to EPCOT to see technology we might use in our real lives 10 or 20 years from now. I like that idea.

And if it helps them sell tickets and Grey Goose slushies, I'm okay with that.

AS LONG AS IT'S DONE WELL. Big caveot there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom