New Fantasyland, I have a problem

The Empress Lilly

I think people are somehow over-estimating the "coaster" part of the mine ride -- it's a tracking system similar to what they use for Casey's train in DL and DLP, only the actual "vehicle" is somewhat modified for the ride. This isn't an e-ticket coaster -- it's a slow-moving dips-and-valleys-and-curves smooth ride through a themed background area...it isn't a huge "coaster"...
I think you are quite correct. Which I suppose is both good news and bad news. :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That remains to be seen. Personally, I think there is a tremendous amount of magic in classic FL rides. It is the essential Disney experience to me. Whereas I have never ridden a kiddie coaster I enjoyed.

Also, there are a lot of people who are simply incapable of riding the 7DMC. One of my sister's and mine favourite rides was SW. We always did it together. Since she had a traffic accident, she can't do coasters. We'll never ride SW again.
And my mother will be too old, and my new niece can't yet ride it for a while. Gonna be fun, I might end up doing Snow White, our family favourite, on my own.

Fair enough. Everyone has their own favorites and I'm not really trying to put down the classic rides. Many todlers and young kids were terrified of the witch in the original SW ride (my kids included) so it was not for everyone either. I was really talking about the size and elaborate detail in the parts that are built already and the rendings we have seen of the completed ride when comparing the 2.

FLE has a lot of non-ride aspects that are huge additions too. We are trading in hotdog carts and insignificant food stands for BOG restaurant and Gaston's tavern plus whatever food they offer in storybook circus. There are other pretty nice additions for smaller kids including the splash zone, story time with Belle and the second dumbo. Maybe not for everyone, but nice for people with young kids.

ishmael0316

I think when it is all said and done, the new Fantasy land will be amazing. I cannot wait to eat in the (dare I say it?) west wing! The Little Mermaid will be a fun little ride. Gaston's Tavern, come on, its Gaston, it HAS to be amazing. A place to meet all the princesses instead of having me run all over the place, LOVE IT! Snow White's ride, while not the original, looks like it will be fun. Rapunzel's tower, awesome! I am not a little girl, I just play one in Disney World.

The place was never intended to be a thrill seekers paradise or roller coaster haven. It is a place for families to enjoy being immersed in the most magical tales of Disney. Will I miss Mickey's house, sure. Will I miss SWSA, sure. But I think the things we are getting FAR exceed what we had. Then again, I am a man who happens to LOVE princesses. Just my 2 cents.

Californian Elitist

That remains to be seen. Personally, I think there is a tremendous amount of magic in classic FL rides. It is the essential Disney experience to me. Whereas I have never ridden a kiddie coaster I enjoyed.

Also, there are a lot of people who are simply incapable of riding the 7DMC. One of my sister's and mine favourite rides was SW. We always did it together. Since she had a traffic accident, she can't do coasters. We'll never ride SW again.
And my mother will be too old, and my new niece can't yet ride it for a while. Gonna be fun, I might end up doing Snow White, our family favourite, on my own.

This sucks to hear. I still don't understand why they got ride of Snow White. I hope you don't have to end up riding the Mine Train alone!

The Empress Lilly

This sucks to hear. I still don't understand why they got ride of Snow White.
Both DL and WDW have IASW, Pooh, LM, plus a FL train ride.

Of the other dark rides, the essential Disney classics, DL packs in five classic dark rides in FL. WDW has PP alone. And that's after the expansion. We won't even have our submarines anymore, which DL still has.

But we will have more restaurants and shops and a tavern.

Beholder

I'm in the "wait and see" group. I would have loved a bigger attraction presence, but I understand the motivation was spreading out the crowds, adding more dining options. So hopefully, in the not to distant future, I'll get to see it first hand. Nevertheless, I'm excited to see the details and the level of theming it hopefully has.

Goofnut1980

Agreed.

I wonder how much they've spent so far for the gain of half a dumbo. I hate to even think about it. Yikes.

I was looking at the MyDisney Experience app on my iPhone yesterday and Dumbo was 135 min wait... and that was at 5pm... It's Dumbo, I ask why??? lol

Also, this rises the question. Why did they transfer Kathy Magnum to Florida?? We all know it is for Avitar land. It must be because she is what they need to not only create a perfectly themed land, but the excitement that it will need to bring it to the next level.

Turtle

Original Poster
I'm totally happy with what we are getting...

Now, if we don't get a new Tomorrowland, i'll be upset.
I'm sorry but I don't see what some people say of Tomorrowland?

Is it the theming or the rides? If it's the rides, I'd love to see Stitch replaced, Laugh Floor (moves to hollywood studios) replaced, Carousel of Progress (Epcot) and also the Speedway replaced. That's all I can think of.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm sorry but I don't see what some people say of Tomorrowland?

Is it the theming or the rides? If it's the rides, I'd love to see Stitch replaced, Laugh Floor (moves to hollywood studios) replaced, Carousel of Progress (Epcot) and also the Speedway replaced. That's all I can think of.
That's over half the land in itself.

Beholder

Tomorrowland, to me, is like DHS. It doesn't have that sense of coherency, an overall theme that ties it all together. COP and Stitch, Laugh Floor and SM, and Speedway and Buzz. It's just kind of "thrown" together. The impression I get when I think of TL are the characters. Pixar and Stitch. That's what I think of. Ugh. Not the future, not a stylized vision of tomorrow, not an exciting journey into a technological wonderland, but a watered down "land" haphazardly strewn with animated overlays. But, that's just my opinion.

The Empress Lilly

TL should be restored to the gorgeous futurism of 1971. Take a cue from DLP, where they solved the problem of the future never remaining the future for very long by having a retro-TL.

But whereas DLP resorted to the retro-futurism of Jules Verne, 1890, WDW can resort to the retro-futrism of Walt Disney, 1970. Amazingly, it will be authentic! And it will tie the land in with the Contemporary, the monorail, the TTC, EPCOT, and indeed the entire WDW project. Nothing that the usurpers down on Int. Drive build would ever be able to compete with so much history, such deep roots, such authenticity.

wiigirl

I'm totally happy with what we are getting...

Now, if we don't get a new Tomorrowland, i'll be upset.
Me too!
75.gif

DisneyJunkie

Yes but badly in need of it.

True, and if they should redo Tomorrowland again, they need to make sure it stays within the theme. The Speedway - which should be torn out but won't be - has nothing to do with the theme of tomorrow or the future, nor does the Monster Inc Laugh Floor. And it seems everything that goes in the space where Stitch is now is one poor attraction after another (this current one the worst yet).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think people are somehow over-estimating the "coaster" part of the mine ride -- it's a tracking system similar to what they use for Casey's train in DL and DLP, only the actual "vehicle" is somewhat modified for the ride. This isn't an e-ticket coaster -- it's a slow-moving dips-and-valleys-and-curves smooth ride through a themed background area...it isn't a huge "coaster"...

Where have you heard this? Everything I have heard about this ride indicates that this will be a proper coaster and at least as fast and intense as Barnstormer/Goffini, but not up to the level of Big Thunder. The swinging car element of this ride wouldn't work if this was a slow moving ride. I agree this won't be up to E-Ticket standards but it will be more of a thrill then Casey Jr.

KCheatle

I have to admit that usually I'm not too happy about "negative" comments on here, but I would have to say I also agree. Yes, it will all look cool, but they spent so much time on the rock work, castle walls, landscaping, etc. when I think most of us would have preferred another ride. I mean, look at Peter Pan and IASW. They are like in commercial strip mall buildings and they are still super popular. I guess the theming makes it a more immersive experience, I just don't udnerstand why it took so long? The Mermaid ride they didn't even have to think about! They literally just copied and pasted it into MK from DL. And the only other "new" ride won't even be done for another year. I just don't know what took so long!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom