New Fantasmic! - Live Stream, Videos, Reviews, Reactions

vancee

I don't get how WDW's version is so terrible, they have their own huge stage and amphitheater like seating dedicated only to Fantasmic and it's still bad. Meanwhile over here in Anaheim we have no stadium benches and the Tom Sawyer's Island isn't using just for Fantasmic and it blows WDW's Fantasmic out of the park. I guess you could say that for a lot of things when comparing rides and shows between Disneyland and Disney World, Disneyland almost always wins. I bet our SWL will be way better even though they are "going to be the same".

vancee

And for the people complaining about too many misting screens, a lot of it is to prepare for the next act. The longest water screen which is around 4 minutes is right before the pirate scene. If you watch from the side by BTM, you could legit see the dancing monkeys run from their barges (and you were also able see them take their heads off, very frightening) to the pirate ship to become a pirate. Right when they step foot on the pirate ship, it took off moments after they got on. You could see them frantically changing into their pirate costume, but most of them were under their monkey costume already. Also, you can see the crew members frantically changing over the monkey barge to a princess barge, but now it looks like it's easier for them as they can just flip the torch or candles around in the new show.

I loved the PoTC scene, nothing wrong with it. The only things I did not like about the show (and I'm not a debbie downer like most people, I almost LOVE ALL CHANGE when it comes to the parks) were:
  1. Not enough effects to please me.
  2. Aladdin scene felt kinda short.
  3. Those monkeys are seriously hideous, especially when they turn around.. you can see the actor's head. They should've just stuck with the old ones.
  4. Not enough characters on the Mark Twain for me.
  5. No articulated heads!!!!!

TP2000

Original Poster
Another interesting thing, they seem to have added a few minutes onto the show's length. It's now 27 minutes long, and I could have sworn it was 23 or 24 minutes long before.

rodserling27

Visually, this new F! is incredible. But I can't help feeling like the new segments are wedged in. Almost as an after thought. They don't flow as well as the original show. POTC is atrociously out of place, I agree with some folks there.

But the biggest misfortune that has marred this beloved show is the unnecessary changing some of the music. Particularly the intro, the ending, the princess parts - the flow is all gone!

Visually speaking and technically speaking, this makes DHS' version look like child's play. But I gotta say...DHS has the better flow story wise and show wise, even in its old age. Ouch. That hurt to type.

Nland316

One thing I was expecting was a filled Mark Twain with way more characters than there were before. I miss the Chimney sweepers that used to be on the ship!

SuddenStorm

One thing I was expecting was a filled Mark Twain with way more characters than there were before. I miss the Chimney sweepers that used to be on the ship!

They got rid of the sweepers? That's a shame. Doesn't look like they were replaced with anything, but let's hope it's cause they were short performers or something. Such a small bit that makes a huge difference- like the evil queen turning into the old hag.

TP2000

Original Poster

Thank you for pointing me towards that. A very nice summary of those projects that range from WOW! E Tickets to nifty infrastructure improvements to minor time filler stuff like the "seamless CircleVision" film to appease the Communist Party. :cool:

And I love that they included the blurb from the Disneyland presentation about Paint The Night staying in Anaheim. That should put a stake through the heart of that ridiculous made up rumor that started in some WDW College Program dorm room after the keg ran dry.

TP2000

Original Poster
Just found this side-by-side comparison from the 2015 show to the 2017 show, and it sums it all up. There are so many parts of the 2015 show that now look so hokey and tired compared to the new show!

And the new show is a bit over three minutes longer; 23:35 for the 1992-2015 version, and 26:58 for the 2017 version.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Just found this side-by-side comparison from the 2015 show to the 2017 show, and it sums it all up. There are so many parts of the 2015 show that now look so hokey and tired compared to the new show!

And the new show is a bit over three minutes longer; 23:35 for the 1992-2015 version, and 26:58 for the 2017 version.

What I'd give to see the classic show with the new effects...

PiratesMansion

I was there the first preview and I think the new Fantasmic is a worthy update. I wish the Queen had stayed and that the dragon wasn't visible earlier now, but I think most of these changes were effective.

Nland316

Can somebody run down the best viewing opportunities for the new show? I'm curious about which is the best Fastpass viewing location color, and if I get to the park early for a Fastpass, do they distribute the best viewing area first?

SpaceGirl

I haven't been to the park yet to actually see it, so I watched it a few times on YouTube instead. Overall, I loved it. The few things I didn't care for were the new main vocals, some of Mickey's choreography, and that it didn't suddenly end like it used to. I worked in Attractions many years ago, and I worked Fantasmic most of the summers.

The voice of the old vocalist was a very soothing thing to hear after working several hours of chaos moving poles in the hot sun and directing people to go here or there. Even hearing that voice when seeing the show after I quit working at Disneyland, I'd still feel a wave of calmness come over me. I didn't feel that with the new vocalist, and I don't find her voice to be soothing at all. Her voice would be good for a daytime parade, but not a nighttime show.

I also loved how Mickey used to playfully wave his arms in the air at the beginning of the show. He no longer does that. I miss that. I also couldn't tell what he was doing on top of the cabin during the finale of the new show, as the cameras are panned out to show the fireworks, but it looks like he also no longer waves his arms to "direct" the fireworks. I guess I'll have to either find a video that focuses more on Mickey in the finale or go see the show myself once I'm no longer blocked off. But if he no longer does that (which it appears he doesn't, from what I've seen), that's another thing I'll really miss.

I also missed the old show ending, how there would be fireworks, a second or two of looking at the lit, empty island, and then, boom, everything goes dark as the last music note sounds. I don't like that it ends with fireworks, and it appears that the island goes dark and the music stops a second or two before the fireworks stop, but I could be wrong on that. Still, I prefer the old ending.

I'm iffy about the Pirates vs. Peter Pan thing. I like the Pirates addition way better. Watching them side by side, the Peter Pan scene almost seemed hokey compared to Pirates, but I think Peter Pan is a better fit to Mickey's dream than Pirates is. I also miss the, "Hey, uh, what's going on? Uh-oh," followed by the music, a second or two of silence, and the canon shot. I do like the replacement to it, though, Barbossa (?) appearing on the mist screen before the ghost ship comes. I love how they made the Columbia look really creepy.

The other thing I didn't like about the new version but isn't that big of a deal is that they seem to be focusing mostly on new characters, since Little Mermaid. They took out most of the scenes with pre-Little Mermaid characters and replaced them with newer ones. It's not the addition of the new characters I don't like; it's just I wish they would have found a way to keep both.

Other than that, I prefer the newer version to the older one. Love the upgraded special effects, and I love how they tweaked the old music (it sounds the same, but like they added more instruments to the old soundtrack). I can't wait to go see it in person!

SuddenStorm

After reading through here, Micechat, and Reddit, it looks like for every person with no issues wit hthe new version, there's 2 or 3 who don't like the Pirates, new recording, or changes to the pacing/flow of the show. Obviously, it's likely to be the same few people across each site, but it'll be interesting to see what the public response is over time.

Phroobar

I wish they would have skipped old stuff like the Little Mermaid, Aladdin and the Lion King in favor of more modern stuff. Those movies came out in the early 90's and have been represented in every parade, water and fireworks show for the last twenty seven years. Where is Zootopia, Wreak it Ralph, Moana, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Princess and the Frog? At least Tangled got represented.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom