New Fantasmic! - Live Stream, Videos, Reviews, Reactions

Nland316

Why would the Black Pearl have a huge wanted poster for Jack Sparrow hanging? Should have left it the same flag as Pan's for an homage to the original. A lot of the stunts in the scene were borrowed from Pan, which is a testament to the quality of the original segment- I'd say the Pirates isn't an improvement beyond the obvious technological advancements. Imagine a Pan segment but with all of the projection mapping? They could project Tinker Bell, Pixie dust, and some other stuff to make it look more "cartoony" than it was originally.

I will say that the canon fountain effects were extremely clever. I cannot get over how out of place the live action segments looked on the water screen. The practical performance on the ship itself is one thing, but the actual video footage was such a sore thumb in the show.

Figments Friend

I'm trying to stay somewhat 'spoiler free' as I'm seeing the show in about a month when I'm back in Anaheim.
Despite resisting to watch any videos for now, I'm very happy to hear the overall positive reviews.
Sounds like a real improvement to what was before, and that is always good to hear.

Looking forward to seeing this next month!
I am assuming FP will be availible for this as it was previously before the original show closed..?

-

dlpwishes

Really impressed with this! I think they've been very sensitive to the original.

We heard mixed things about the main theme, but I think it works really well. Not quite as changed as Tokyo was. Also - love that the original WoC 'Whole New World' music was used finally for Fant instead.

Agree with some that the pirates scene seems... off. But at least it's not he DHS Pocahontas scene...

Travel Junkie

Watched a video this morning to compare to seeing it in person. There are a lot of minor things that are missed in videos. There are projections everywhere. They even projected on the water in certain parts. The colors are more vibrant and as is usually the case, this is much better in person. The pyro got a nice upgrade as well. I really like what they did with it.

This is a worthy 2017 update. I think it highlights how dated the other version was. There was an emphasis on packing more into the same time frame with constant activity. There are very few lulls. The music feels more modern as well.

The pirates sequence sticks out as a sore spot to me. It's the one segment that fit in with what's around it. I guess they had high hopes for projections on the ship but since that has not panned out at least yet, it doesn't work at all for me.

Californian Elitist

Watched a video this morning to compare to seeing it in person. There are a lot of minor things that are missed in videos. There are projections everywhere. They even projected on the water in certain parts. The colors are more vibrant and as is usually the case, this is much better in person. The pyro got a nice upgrade as well. I really like what they did with it.

This is a worthy 2017 update. I think it highlights how dated the other version was. There was an emphasis on packing more into the same time frame with constant activity. There are very few lulls. The music feels more modern as well.

The pirates sequence sticks out as a sore spot to me. It's the one segment that fit in with what's around it. I guess they had high hopes for projections on the ship but since that has not panned out at least yet, it doesn't work at all for me.

Videos never do live shows justice, which is why I'm saving full judgement until the I see it with my own eyes.

BrianLo

I'm going to be good (or bad) and wait until 2019 to see this in person. Glad everyone seems positive about it and glad it still retains the spirit of Fantasmic.

As much as I'm in team change this is the one show I have enough affinity for that I'd never want to see it completely dismantled and turned into a different show entirely.

George Lucas on a Bench

The POTC scene is pretty lame and I'm not just talking about all the Disney vloggers screaming at nothing. The Peter Pan scene was exciting, this is just boring. Also, is that supposed to be the chick from the wedding video in Love Actually? Or someone from one of the 14 sequels I didn't see?

Curious Constance

They did use the skeletal projection mapping during the pirates segment. Cool.

upload_2017-7-16_10-33-53.jpeg

IMG_4791-610x407.jpg

Stevek

Overall, judging just from youtube videos, technologically quite an improvement. Pirates scene fell a bit flat for me and overall felt a bit disjointed...but that very well may be because I'm so used to the original all these years later. Hope to see it in late August, early September.

Disney Analyst

I think visually the new Pirates segment is stunning, the colours, constant cannon blasts with water splashes, that all looks great! The stunts are mostly the same, so that's great... I

t's just the music, and transition into the princess segment that I'm not as sold on. Nothing really beats Smee yelping into that perfect rise of the princess music, where as Pirates kind of has a climax and final button, which is strange in a show that should flow, the final button is at the very end, not in the middle.

Otherwise I do love the look of the new segment.

Disney Analyst

I wonder if this is a step in the direction of a brand new World of Color, since there is now some scene duplication between both shows, seems like only one should have a pirates section, nemo stuff, Whole New World, Friend Like Me...

JD2000

I am not wanting to be critical of Disney again but did they have to shoehorn the pirates movies into yet another? How does it even make sense when it's not animation like the rest?

We were able to watch the 9 and 10:30 shows last night. Overall we loved it. There were definitely more changes than I was anticipating, but the vast majority of them were positive and well done.

My favorite new piece of tech is hands down the new laser they've incorporated throughout the show. On the videos it looks like part of the projection mapping, but it is not. Its some sort of advanced system they've mounted on top of the building with the gumbo/chowder window, above the Club 33 balcony.

It is the same kind of tech seen in the Mystic Manor ride from Hong Kong. It looks very different from the regular projections in that it just POPS and literally looks like pixie dust or some sort of magic fireflies. It is used very effectively throughout the show and when combined with the projections leads to some pretty amazing effects. Some of the most notable areas: pixie dust during the opening 30 seconds, broadway style lights during "Friend Like Me", embers drifting in the air on the island during the POTC scene, and destruction of Maleficent's dragon form. Really an example of the imagineer's cutting edge use of technology!

SuddenStorm

The two biggest things I'm not sold on are the Gospel vocals for the princess medley, and the Pirates segment. If they were to tone down the vocals, revert back to Pan, and smooth some of the transitions it'd be a home run. Some of the changes are improvements over the original, but they're dragged down by all of the unnecessary changes that aren't improvements, and dno't work well with the show.

TP2000

Original Poster

Agreed that it's a worthy 2017 update.

Disneyland's Fantasmic! got a big series of tech upgrades back in 2008 and 2009 that brought new lighting, a digital projection system to replace the 70mm film projectors, and new audio and stagecraft. But it was still the original 1992 show, just with new tech behind it.

This is something entirely different, by reworking nearly the entire show, adding new characters and scenes and plot twists. It all seems to be very successful, and I appreciate that they showed restraint in limiting the Tokyo influence. I've seen the Tokyo show, and while some of it is lost in translation, it's not as successful or as enjoyable as the Disneyland original. It's apparent the American execs realized that and limited its influence on this new Anaheim version. Bravo!

Here's a good HD clip of the new Pirates scene. There does in fact appear to be some projection mapping going on with those skeleton guys.

I have half a mind to go down and try and catch the 10:30 or 11:30pm show tonight, just to see it in person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom