New Fanstasy Land - effects not working.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I was curious to see what the wardrobe looked like working, so I youtubed it - the CM in the video looks rushed to pick the cast and instruct in-between the wardrobe talking. I also noticed there are more parts to the story when the wardrobe is working! When I went and the CM had to act both the wardrobe and give out the parts, he only handed out the following parts:
  • 2 suits of armor
  • the Beast
  • Maurice
  • Phillipe
  • Mrs Potts & Chip
  • Enchanted Portraits
He did NOT include:

• Footstool
  • Featherduster
  • Salt & Pepper shakers
  • the Wardrobe
  • asking anyone else if they wanted a part
Perhaps it was the time the CM takes to give out the parts, as it didn't go as fast as the wardrobe does in this video. (I got to be Mrs Potts!)

Oh Dear Lord I want to dig my ear drums out.

ExtinctJenn

We didn't get to do Enchanted Tails with Belle on our trip last week as I had hoped but I can say from the Mermaid perspective that everything was working perfectly, including Flotsom and Jetsom. The Ursula animatronic was impressive to say the least and, at least for us, the large "Under the Sea" room had us so engrossed at looking around at everything that we didn't even notice the lack of ceiling to hide the ducts etc.

Lovelyrita08

I was super excited to see Flotsam and Jetsam working the other day! I thought they were stationary, because every other time their mouths didn't move, including the time I was stuck under them for 20 mins....they get old fast ;) I also missed seeing Sebastian the first time I rode the ride, I was so engrossed during "Under the Sea"

Sped2424

I was super excited to see Flotsam and Jetsam working the other day! I thought they were stationary, because every other time their mouths didn't move, including the time I was stuck under them for 20 mins....they get old fast ;) I also missed seeing Sebastian the first time I rode the ride, I was so engrossed during "Under the Sea"
I missed Sebastian both times on that ride lol I thought he was a new addition after I rode it a couple weeks ago

Magenta Panther

I just got word that they're running Enchanted Tales with Belle with the Portal/Mirror in an open position. How is that not a 101 effect? That's downright awful.

That's PATHETIC. That mirror effect was the most memorable thing about that attraction. What the heck is going on????

Prototype82

I saw them mobile as well on Saturday morning. They looked so creepy and fantastic. :D

PurpleDragon

I think there is another potential contributor to the cause of these problems other than just imagineering and park maintenance. It is possible that there are custom computer components built for these AA's that ended up being faulty and so Disney had to either jury rig the AA to keep it going or cover it till a replacement part can be ordered. Being an IT guy myself, I've lost count of how many times I've had to put an "out of order" sign on printers/fax machines/etc... till replacement parts came in. So lets not all jump to conclusions and start finger pointing when something isn't working properly, because its possible that a faulty component is to blame and a replacement has to be ordered, which is why they aren't fixed right off the bat. Since these are brand new attractions I doubt maintenance has ordered additional replacement parts yet since their life expectancy was supposed to be longer than 1 week. :confused:

erasure fan1

So lets not all jump to conclusions and start finger pointing when something isn't working properly, because its possible that a faulty component is to blame and a replacement has to be ordered, which is why they aren't fixed right off the bat.
Unfortunately Disney has not done enough in the maintenance department around the parks to warrant a benefit of the doubt in most peoples minds. So I can't really blame people for thinking the worst. The question is, if one of the AAs in mermaid ends up being a constant thorn in Disneys side, and just won't work right, Do you trust them to make it right? or just shut it down and say the heck with it. I really can't say I believe they would do the right thing and fix it at this point. I do hope they would prove me wrong though.

ExtinctJenn

I think there is another potential contributor to the cause of these problems other than just imagineering and park maintenance. It is possible that there are custom computer components built for these AA's that ended up being faulty and so Disney had to either jury rig the AA to keep it going or cover it till a replacement part can be ordered.
While I agree with your logic here and tend to lean on the side of giving TDO the benefit of the doubt... I see this a couple ways:

1) Disney pretty much invented AAs and continue to be the biggest users of them so really I just have a hard time accepting that excuse.
2) Two of the effects most commonly not working aren't AA related and are really just projections (the wardrobe's eyes and the mirror).

The latter being the thing I just can't get past with all this. Now, that said, it could very well be that the proprietary software developed to do each of these projections is buggy however I'd think it too was developed in house so the blame would still go back to the same place.

I get the logic though... kind of the same thinking as when a Space Shuttle has a catastrophic failure or something (that the blame isn't really on NASA but rather on the company that won the bid to make the parts and made them faulty). I honestly have no idea if TDO contracts out that work so if they do then sure, the logic works. If not though, there simply isn't anyone else to blame when brand new effects aren't working properly. Just my thoughts. :)

PurpleDragon

I get the logic though... kind of the same thinking as when a Space Shuttle has a catastrophic failure or something (that the blame isn't really on NASA but rather on the company that won the bid to make the parts and made them faulty). I honestly have no idea if TDO contracts out that work so if they do then sure, the logic works. If not though, there simply isn't anyone else to blame when brand new effects aren't working properly. Just my thoughts. :)

That's basically what I'm saying, it potentially could be multiple parties at fault here, not just TDO. Since none of us know what the problem is with these AA's, I just wanted to bring attention to the idea that other parties may be involved here that don't work for Disney (except on a contractual basis).

Also the assumption that every part of the AA is done in house is a shortsighted one. For every AA there are pneumatics, video screens, processors, control boards, etc... that are made by 3rd party vendors. Any one of these parts could fail and TDO would not be at fault.

Sped2424

I heard little mermaid is going down all the time apparently in the under the sea scene Ariel's AA is giving them a lot of trouble.

ExtinctJenn

Also the assumption that every part of the AA is done in house is a shortsighted one. For every AA there are pneumatics, video screens, processors, control boards, etc... that are made by 3rd party vendors. Any one of these parts could fail and TDO would not be at fault.
True... I just know in the past it used to be all in-house. ;) Either way, you can still trace it down to TDO being at fault though (again using the NASA analogy - when something happens and it's the fault of the manufactorer, they still should've done the quality control to prevent/catch it).

ExtinctJenn

Yes, but that doesn't mean they still make them.
Understood. ;) See above! Trust me I'm on the side of blaming anyone but TDO if we can (mostly because lately I'm dang impressed with what they are doing) but the point I'm making is I can see why people do and those are the reasons. I can see the concept of them still being responsible for the final product, no matter who made it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom