New Executive Structure?

aladdin2007

Original Poster
I do so hope you are mistaken on this one(I would not bet against you though)

What I hope is that in that in this new role each park VP will be required to take more personal responsibility and report to Meg C. since she obviously will not have time to get involved in the day to day of each park.

My other hope is she experience something that happened to me a few years back. I was doing what I though was a pretty good job, my director was replaced from one day to the next and I had a new boss I directly reported to. What I found out id that I had was doing a good job of meeting the expectations set for me but those expectations were not that high and tainted by previous boss. We were not aspiring to offer the best. We were content to protect our territory. My new boss was proactive, he does not care who broke, why it broke or who should pay for it. in his view if it is broken it needs to be fixed because that is why we exist. It completely changed my perception of my job and actually reignited my passion. I do not know much about Tom Staggs but I can only pray he can effect this type of change - end of wishful thinking.

That is an interesting point in the bold, however there is no specific president for WDW just still her, so Im guessing TDO is going to have even more power now? NOT GOOD.

IlikeDW

That is an interesting point in the bold, however there is no specific president for WDW just still her, so Im guessing TDO is going to have even more power now? NOT GOOD.
I can't argue with that, only hope that T. Staggs made changes in order to actually make changes, not just to print new buisness cards and letterheads.

aladdin2007

Original Poster
Sometimes you promote people to get them out of the way.

EDIT: Not saying it is a good idea...just that it is done.

True thats a better sounding scenario, maybe this could be good for WDW afterall then, except like Lee said the Disney Parks thing is spreading so theres going to be more of that mess. But whoever has the upper say at Disney World still has to answer to her and Staggs.

IlikeDW

Sometimes you promote people to get them out of the way.

EDIT: Not saying it is a good idea...just that it is done.

I don't want to harp on this, so this will be the last time I bring it up.

Sometimes people are promoted because they have accomplished everything that was asked of them in the way they were asked to and someone sees potential for more/better. Other times the promotion is other wise motivated, or just plain misguided. Unfourtunatly only time will tell and in that time much good or damage can be done.

From what I have read(mostly here) I have drawn the conclusion the Meg does what is needed, once it is painfully clear it is needed, but no more and no sooner. What I do not know is if that is by choice or directive...:confused:

yeti

True thats a better sounding scenario, maybe this could be good for WDW afterall then, except like Lee said the Disney Parks thing is spreading so theres going to be more of that mess. But whoever has the upper say at Disney World still has to answer to her and Staggs.

Just because "someone said" doesn't make anything concrete- this whole situation proves this. Insiders do what they can with what they have. Sources can be misleading.

devoy1701

I can't speak on Meg, but I see more synergies between the parks, like a typical business would do for economy of scale. This is good for shareholder to maximize shareholder wealth. I'm not so sure it's good for those of us guests that grew up on Disney creativity. One thing is for sure, changes are coming.

That would be great if this was any other company. But the parks thrive on individuality, not synergy. Synergy is what Disneyland Fans and WDW Fans believe is killing the parks. It's a slow and painful death.

Also, with P&R only making up about 15% of the Revenue for TWDC, I'm ok with this branch not focusing on maximizing my shareholder value. This branch should be focusing on the "synergy" of the Disney Brand and regaining brand loyalty by offering the best possible product out there today. This is a core value that the company was founded on and is lost in today's parks. People like Evan say that we're drinking koolade because the people are still having good vacations at the parks. No one ever said they weren't having a good time anymore.... I still have a great time at WDW...but it's not the product it used to be, it's not the value it used to be, and their are better products out there. That is what people like Meg and Bob have created over the past decade.

I do so hope you are mistaken on this one(I would not bet against you though)

What I hope is that in that in this new role each park VP will be required to take more personal responsibility and report to Meg C. since she obviously will not have time to get involved in the day to day of each park.

My other hope is she experience something that happened to me a few years back. I was doing what I though was a pretty good job, my director was replaced from one day to the next and I had a new boss I directly reported to. What I found out is that I was doing a good job of meeting the expectations set for me but those expectations were not that high and tainted by previous boss. We were not aspiring to offer the best. We were content to protect our territory. My new boss was proactive, he does not care who broke, why it broke or who should pay for it. in his view if it is broken it needs to be fixed because that is why we exist. It completely changed my perception of my job and actually reignited my passion. I do not know much about Tom Staggs but I can only pray he can effect this type of change - end of wishful thinking.

Meg was the one who let a lot of these things "break" at WDW....just like Pressler was the one who let these things break in DL...Disneyland has been repairing the damage over the past 10 years, but as others have said, looks like the second honeymoon might be over for DLR!

Save Disney, part 2 Out with Iger!!!!!
I tell you what...is there another Disney family member who can once again lead the charge? Perhaps this can be a chance for Eisner to redefine himself!

Pioneer Hall

Is she being pulled to CA or remaining in Orlando?

My guess is that her permanent home will still be Orlando. Considering the amount of travel she is going to be doing there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to pay to relocate her to CA. Al stayed in FL after he took on his larger responsibility as well.

Computer Magic

That would be great if this was any other company. But the parks thrive on individuality, not synergy. Synergy is what Disneyland Fans and WDW Fans believe is killing the parks. It's a slow and painful death.

Also, with P&R only making up about 15% of the Revenue for TWDC, I'm ok with this branch not focusing on maximizing my shareholder value. This branch should be focusing on the "synergy" of the Disney Brand and regaining brand loyalty by offering the best possible product out there today. This is a core value that the company was founded on and is lost in today's parks. People like Evan say that we're drinking koolade because the people are still having good vacations at the parks. No one ever said they weren't having a good time anymore.... I still have a great time at WDW...but it's not the product it used to be, it's not the value it used to be, and their are better products out there. That is what people like Meg and Bob have created over the past decade.

I don't agree with the direction as I hopefully made clear in my OP. It's a fact many here have seen and you just stated. Just the fact everything is labeled Disney Park tells it all.

I'll state that I'm not having as good a time as I did in the 90's. Funny how Disney talks about brand loyalty, but I'm not convinced they are walking the talk. Not the crap I see being pushed in the parks.
I tell you what...is there another Disney family member who can once again lead the charge? Perhaps this can be a chance for Eisner to redefine himself!

Sadly, I think Roy Jr was our last hope and now he is gone. I've said it a long time ago and I see it being posted here lately. Disney is Disney be name only. It's not family run and I don't know any Disney family owning a large share.

Our only hope maybe Steve Jobs

RandySavage

Ok.....serious question... Not sticking up for Meg.... but......

Being said... I am curious as to what SPECIFIC issues people have with her.

My opinions: I'm interested in land-use and greenfield preservation issues at WDW, so I loathe her land sell-offs like Flamingo Crossings & Golden Oaks. As Orlando & WDW continue to become engulfed by suburban sprawl, Crofton's short-term cash grabs will only invite long-term La Quinta Inn and McMansion-type development on former undeveloped WDW property (which I would have liked to seen remain as a greenfields).

I detest the decision to build the Bay Lake Tower at a height that equals/overshadows the Contemporary, making it clearly visible from Liberty Square. I also hate its architecture and tandem-ness, making that tract of Bay Lake look like a pedestrian mid-rise luxury condo block in Ft. Lauderdale.

I don't like that the new Mexican restaurant in EPCOT was built without regard to scale (to the Pyramid). This damages the perspective of the Mexico Pavilion when viewed from across the lagoon (all the previous designers of the Showcase Pavilions understood scale & perspective).

When I last visited in 2008, there was a certain shabbiness to the Resort that I had never noted before (falling apart menus at Marrakesh, beer bottles in the bushes outside our Beach Club room, light bulbs out on buildings, gun triggers broken on TSI, etc.). The buck has to stop with someone... and Crofton was prez of WDW at the time.

Those are few reasons why I don't think very highly of Ms. Crofton's tenure. Then there is all the stuff she didn't do. I can't think of many tangible improvements (at least, things that I consider an improvement) to WDW that took place under her watch, (Everest opened in 2006 and was thus greenlit before her ascension). I have no firsthand knowledge of the inner workings of TWDC, but I've read that investments like FLE, Star Tours II are fought by TDO (as was the big, planned Space Mountain refurb). If true, that's another mark against her.

IlikeDW

So I just read the entire article and I don't like the continued one disney theme, but this:

• Reporting to Meg and Bill on a dual solid-line basis will be Jeff Vahle, executive vice president, Facilities Operations Services (FOS), and Erin Wallace, executive vice president, Operations Integration. Erin’s team works to consolidate creative, strategic and technical expertise for operations into a single organization responsible for enhancing our ability to optimize guest satisfaction, revenue and intent to return. Jeff’s team works to drive design, process, system, manufactring and procurement efficiencies, and focuses on major initiatives such as guest and cast safety and preventative-maintenance processes. Jeff and Erin have done a terrific job evolving their organizations over the past two years, which allows us to formalize this integration across all global businesses and further develop their support for our businesses around the world.

Concerns me more than anything else, I have not seen Jeff mentioned often but If he is the one responsible for safety and Preventive Maintenance is he not responsible for many of the complaints? Is ride maintenance a separate division, is he only in charge of general maintenance? Maybe there is more to it, hope someone can educate me.

From his linked in page:
VP - Facilities and Operations Services
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
Public Company; DIS; Internet industry
April 2006 – Present (5 years 4 months)

Responsible for Engineering Services/Maintenance, Engineering, Renovations and Project Manangement, Security, Distribution, Horticulture, Utilities, Cast and Guest Safety supporting Disney Theme Parks World wide.

Pioneer Hall

So I just read the entire article and I don't like the continued one disney theme, but this:

• Reporting to Meg and Bill on a dual solid-line basis will be Jeff Vahle, executive vice president, Facilities Operations Services (FOS), and Erin Wallace, executive vice president, Operations Integration. Erin’s team works to consolidate creative, strategic and technical expertise for operations into a single organization responsible for enhancing our ability to optimize guest satisfaction, revenue and intent to return. Jeff’s team works to drive design, process, system, manufactring and procurement efficiencies, and focuses on major initiatives such as guest and cast safety and preventative-maintenance processes. Jeff and Erin have done a terrific job evolving their organizations over the past two years, which allows us to formalize this integration across all global businesses and further develop their support for our businesses around the world.

Concerns me more than anything else, I have not seen Jeff mentioned often but If he is the one responsible for safety and Preventive Maintenance is he not responsible for many of the complaints? Is ride maintenance a separate division, is he only in charge of general maintenance? Maybe there is more to it, hope someone can educate me.

From his linked in page:
VP - Facilities and Operations Services
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
Public Company; DIS; Internet industry
April 2006 – Present (5 years 4 months)

Responsible for Engineering Services/Maintenance, Engineering, Renovations and Project Manangement, Security, Distribution, Horticulture, Utilities, Cast and Guest Safety supporting Disney Theme Parks World wide.

He oversees all maintenance, but who knows how the responsibilities fall below him. Each one of those areas listed that he oversees would most likely have a single person that is in charge and reports to him. Then it goes on down the chain until you get to the people with the screwdrivers and hammers.

disneyidol

From what I have read(mostly here) I have drawn the conclusion the Meg does what is needed, once it is painfully clear it is needed, but no more and no sooner. What I do not know is if that is by choice or directive...:confused:

This is something I think is a general problem across the country. People doing exactly what is asked of them only and not challenging them to think ahead or creatively. Executives think like executives and artists think creatively. The problem is that in the entertainment industry, all executives MUST think creatively or they're screwed. I take serious issue with undergrads being business majors and then getting an MBA rather than them majoring in a specific field and then receiving and MBA to manage a business in their intended industry. Meg has a BA in marketing. But marketing for what?? Marketing is entirely different across industries. There's no way you can teach all undergrad marketing majors to think about every potential industry they can work in. That's just a personal thing. This to me helps to explain the lack of passion some have felt from her and mentioned early in this thread. Again, this is just a sociological observation.

Not to tie this in really, but having just recently carefully examined Epcot's wikipedia page I happened to notice the original logos of all the lands. They were all round. Now look at them. There's absolutely NO cohesiveness to them. This is something that is very telling to me. That's a marketing fail. Part of the reason that I think I understood Epcot and the essence the company was trying to portray was a futuristic sense of unity. There was just a cohesiveness that I feel is lacking across the board. Simple things like logos help to subliminally offer a message of the underlying feeling of the organization. Streamlined. Clean. Clear.

The innoventions logo has none of these things. Nor does it combine with any other land and this is definitely true of the other parks. This is something that upper executives should understand and Meg being a marketing major should catch a nuance like that. Nuances I think are all for Disney across the board and I seem to feel that this is really the biggest misstep, it may not look like a big deal but overall it is. I dunno.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom