New Epcot opening procedure?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Original Poster
Touring Plans is reporting that Epcot has substantially changed their opening procedure. They no longer admit guests into the Innoventions plaza until the whole park has opened, and the "welcome show" with the characters and the family of the day in the Test Track car has been eliminated.

Has anyone seen the new opening?

Kind of disappointing if it's permanent.

RSoxNo1

Touring Plans is reporting that Epcot has substantially changed their opening procedure. They no longer admit guests into the Innoventions plaza until the whole park has opened, and the "welcome show" with the characters and the family of the day in the Test Track car has been eliminated.

Has anyone seen the new opening?

Kind of disappointing if it's permanent.

Perhaps they're re-doing the car used for the opening, although you would think they could do that when the actual attraction is down.

t3techcom18

As an Epcot CM who has done rope drop many a time, I can confirm that the rope drop that was, is now permanently (suppossedly) gone. It has been relocated to the front turnstiles, with no cast going to greet, no Test Track car, and yeah...ugh. Mixed feelings indeed.

menamechris

When Magic Kingdom does rope drop so well, I never understood why something of similar creativity couldn't be used at Epcot. It always seemed like such a non-event to me....

TalkingHead

Why would they eliminate this opening? Is something else going to replace it? If not, this is a classic example of declining by degrees.

wdwfan22

A new opening segment is in the works for Epcot, however it will take place at the entrance rather in the Innoventions plaza. A few Confetti cannons have already been added. Not sure when the new opening will begin to take place.

floridabill

A new opening segment is in the works for Epcot, however it will take place at the entrance rather in the Innoventions plaza. A few Confetti cannons have already been added. Not sure when the new opening will begin to take place.

I can give two flying flips about cannons! walking just a little ways into future world, getting that little tease before the park opens! And possibly riding in the test car while cast members wave at you! Now that is a truly magical moment and what disney is! I am so beyond frustrated with what they are doing to WDW! I still love disney! but I feel as they are playing us as fools, we pay them and are at the mercy of them and there cost cutting ways! Pretty soon the cost wont even be justified! bad monorails, selling land! ughh the list goes on! Very sad it really does kill me a little inside to know what the were and to see what they have become! :cry:

menamechris

Wow! This would be awesome news! I do enjoy rope drop shows. I think it is a great reward for those who get to the park early. Hopefully, it will be fun.

sksowell

Hopefully they still let you past the turnstiles before park opening as this will definitely rush things as the park will be open and people will be rushing to try and get in.

wagnerdanp

We stayed at the Beach Club last week. I went into EPCOT on a non-extra magic hour (9 am) and the international gateway opened 10 mins prior to 9. We walked up to the fountain where there was a test track car. Now, we went into EPCOT on an extra magic hour morning and the International Gateway did not open until 8 am. We were disappointed because we thought that the main gate would have been completely open with tons of people in front of us. However, it seemed that the main gate had not massed a ton of people and that the main gate was letting people in one at a time through the turnstiles at 8 am.

These were just my observations last week...

mickeysshoes

So I take it this is very new thing. We saw the other opening just a few weeks ago...and after 12 trips to WDW this was I guess the first and only time i will be able to see that show. :shrug: oh well! Will they do anything at the back gate or will this new show only be the main gate??

erasure fan1

Wow! This would be awesome news! I do enjoy rope drop shows. I think it is a great reward for those who get to the park early. Hopefully, it will be fun.

I dont mind the rope drop the first time I go to the park. After that I wish they would just let us in like the old rope drops. Just let us in if we dont want to see the show and stop us at the different areas before the lands.

Scooter

I was there last week and the rope drop in Epcot was still going on. I went twice. Once on Sunday (Sept 4) and then again on Friday (Sept 9). Saw the test track car and all the Soarin greeters were there as well. If they changed anything, it's new this week.

Kamikaze

When Magic Kingdom does rope drop so well, I never understood why something of similar creativity couldn't be used at Epcot. It always seemed like such a non-event to me....

Because, if they used primarily characters, people would whine. And whine. And whine.
And since World Showcase doesn't open with the park, you can't really have a WS based opening either.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
As an Epcot CM who has done rope drop many a time, I can confirm that the rope drop that was, is now permanently (suppossedly) gone. It has been relocated to the front turnstiles, with no cast going to greet, no Test Track car, and yeah...ugh. Mixed feelings indeed.

Too bad. I liked that opening. It was low-key, but fun.

Hmmm...okay. For one thing, this will make use of a rather large area that doesn't get used (presuming we're talking about inside that gates, not outside. And...maybe...maybe...it'll hasten the removal of the tombstones?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom