New Epcot opening procedure?

Bolna

Considering the penchant TDO has to cut "unnecessary" costs, I can't say that I'm surprised that we're seeing the opening shows disappear. Disappointed, but not surprised.

Well, but what is necessary? Restrooms maybe. Otherwise, everything at Disney is entertainment, so they could cut everything because it isn't necessary following that argument.

And things like the opening shows are stuff that make me come back to Disney and put up with the premium they charge. If they demand the prices they do, they need to put out a premium product. And a first class experience is about those extras.

To be honest the disappearing of all the opening shows besides the MK (and who knows how long that will be around, it is the most expensive one for sure) is a real let down for me. I like to be at the parks early and seeing the show gives me a wonderful boost of energy to start my day at the park. This is what Disney is about for me!

COProgressFan

Well, but what is necessary? Restrooms maybe. Otherwise, everything at Disney is entertainment, so they could cut everything because it isn't necessary following that argument.

And things like the opening shows are stuff that make me come back to Disney and put up with the premium they charge. If they demand the prices they do, they need to put out a premium product. And a first class experience is about those extras.

To be honest the disappearing of all the opening shows besides the MK (and who knows how long that will be around, it is the most expensive one for sure) is a real let down for me. I like to be at the parks early and seeing the show gives me a wonderful boost of energy to start my day at the park. This is what Disney is about for me!

Well said. The problem with Disney's quest to cut "unnecessary costs" is that an entire concept of a theme park is "unnecessary" in itself. Where do you draw the line?

cjkeating

I am so disappointed that it appears the AK opening show is actually going.

The opening shows truly set the parks out against other competing parks and made the start of the day so special... very sad about this loss.

If the MK shows goes I will be devastated, the train coming around to Main Street with Mickey was one of the most magical and memorable things I have ever seen!

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Wait... They cut the dhs opening show?? Really? Whaddya suppose the cost savings is when cutting something like this?

menamechris

Wait... They cut the dhs opening show?? Really? Whaddya suppose the cost savings is when cutting something like this?

I would actually assume that it wouldn't cost much. I am sure the cast members have to be there by that time regardless to get ready for meet and greets, etc. So I am really not sure how much it will benefit the bottom line. I am surprised to say the least.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Original Poster
I am so disappointed that it appears the AK opening show is actually going.

The opening shows truly set the parks out against other competing parks and made the start of the day so special... very sad about this loss.

If the MK shows goes I will be devastated, the train coming around to Main Street with Mickey was one of the most magical and memorable things I have ever seen!

I highly doubt they'd ever cut the MK welcome show. There'd be riots if that happened.

And I agree that the trend of eliminating morning welcome shows is disturbing.

jlandis44

WDW eliminating rope drop shows...yet, places like Cedar Point still have little shows to entertain while we all wait for the ropes to drop. If Disney eliminates all the things that set them apart, there will be no reason for people to choose the more expensive option (Disney) over other amusement parks that might be closer. Then, they'll lose more money, raise prices, more people will stop coming, losing more money, etc. Shortsightedness never benefits the bottom line. I go to Disney for experiences that I CAN'T get anywhere else. But, other places have experiences I can't get at Disney (like, actual honest-to-goodness thrill rides). Disney - think long range...

COProgressFan

jlandis44;4818894 If Disney eliminates all the things that set them apart said:
Much like you said, Disney's operation for a number of years has been:
1. Cut back on the quality and quantity of offerings at WDW
2. Then attendance and/or guest spending declines
3. As a result, Disney feels the need to cut back even more
4. For good measure, they raise prices to make up the lost revenue

And the cycle repeats....

It's a really strange way to run a business. Look at what's been happening out in Disneyland the past several years. DCA was a stinker. But there has been a dramatic turnaround since then and they seem to realize that if they put out a quality product, people will come and the money will flow. That was once the attitude of management at WDW, but clearly is no longer the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom