New Enhancements, Dining Options Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

NotCalledBob

As expected, Carousel Cafe wasn’t complete and now has pictures of Julie Andrews along with succulents on the tables.

Stunning.

Insofar as Julie Andrews is entirely unproblematic, they should have just had pics of her in the carousel scene from Mary Poppins. Then the whole style of the place would at least make some sense.

To be fair, if you ask people, “what is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of New Jersey?” 9 out of 10 will say, “succulents.”

This will prove the naysayers wrong.

There was clearly a vision all along.

It's just IKEA were late delivering the succulents.

Et Voilà. The space is transformed.

Dizknee_Phreek

From what I've seen (aside from the great food), the Cake Bake shops are attractions in themselves due to the over the top decor. I actually think this place will be a hit for the Epcot resort area, especially for children.View attachment 691502View attachment 691501View attachment 691503View attachment 691504
I went to the location in Indy years ago - somewhat ironically when I was in town to see Off Kilter perform at the Indy Irish Fest. Whimsy is most certainly the signature look of the bakery, from the gorgeous decor to the baked goods covered in edible glitter. I feel like it will be a great fit for Disney.

lazyboy97o

I don't know if those pictures would make it look like an attraction, but it looks very nice and like it belongs at the Grand Floridian... Don't know why placing things in their proper locations by style has become so difficult... so now in turn, Grand Floridian should get a 1940s Boardwalk themed diner?
The Boardwalk is turn-of-the-century, not 1940s. Boardwalks were also known for being over-the-too and eclectic.

Chupaca Bruh

I don't think the issue is the outsourcing of projects or using other companies, it is the Disney Executives who sign off on the design. Whether or not Imagineering sends sketches to other companies for further design work or does the design themselves. The person in charge of design who signs it off is the person (or people) who is driving this new look. I understand the new look to a degree and think it works in some places but not in others. You can't apply this design style to everything property wide.

lazyboy97o

I don't think the issue is the outsourcing of projects or using other companies, it is the Disney Executives who sign off on the design. Whether or not Imagineering sends sketches to other companies for further design work or does the design themselves. The person in charge of design who signs it off is the person (or people) who is driving this new look. I understand the new look to a degree and think it works in some places but not in others. You can't apply this design style to everything property wide.
Final approval is not with the lead designer.

TrainsOfDisney

It’s right there in the quoted post…
“The person in charge of design who signs it off is the person (or people) who is driving this new look.”
That’s not “lead designer” - it’s the person in charge of design who signs it off. Obviously someone is in charge of signing off designs. That person indeed exists.

Bocabear

The Boardwalk is turn-of-the-century, not 1940s. Boardwalks were also known for being over-the-too and eclectic.
The original design intent was to place the resort in the 1940s... Hence the Art Deco Ballroom, the late 1930s-40s era lounge, the Miss America references in the now-missing Sweet Shop, the murals in the orginal Flying Fish restaurant... The design is made to invoke the feeling of an older resort...that had a history leading up to the design date ...if that makes sense... the furnishings in the lobby are not turn of the century, but of a later date with antiques from the turn of the century mixed in....

castlecake2.0

The original design intent was to place the resort in the 1940s... Hence the Art Deco Ballroom, the late 1930s-40s era lounge, the Miss America references in the now-missing Sweet Shop, the murals in the orginal Flying Fish restaurant... The design is made to invoke the feeling of an older resort...that had a history leading up to the design date ...if that makes sense... the furnishings in the lobby are not turn of the century, but of a later date with antiques from the turn of the century mixed in....
That’s what all these new updates always miss, the place setting and backstory. They just go 100% wayfair furniture. I get you do y want your resort to look like a museum but at least blend in a mixture of newer furnishings with period pieces. The coffee shop just needs soMe antique light fixtures and display cases and it would look ok.

UNCgolf

I find it insane that they don't have the foresight to predict when this blowback will occur. Like, just DO THE THEME.

While I agree completely with this -- you have themed resorts and that is part of the appeal; why are you trying to eliminate it? -- I also think it's a bit silly that they're changing direction based on social media reaction (if that's actually what's happening).

Social media (or fan forums, for that matter) is not a good indicator of what the public, or even the overall fan base, thinks about anything. It's a small, self-selected sample and not at all representative of people who visit Disney World.

I'll certainly take it, though, since I don't want to see the rest of the Boardwalk turned into bland genericism.

Incomudro

While I agree completely with this -- you have themed resorts and that is part of the appeal; why are you trying to eliminate it? -- I also think it's a bit silly that they're changing direction based on social media reaction (if that's actually what's happening).

Social media (or fan forums, for that matter) is not a good indicator of what the public, or even the overall fan base, thinks about anything. It's a small, self-selected sample and not at all representative of people who visit Disney World.

I'll certainly take it, though, since I don't want to see the rest of the Boardwalk turned into bland genericism.
I agree whole heartedly.
Let artists create the art, when the art is good the public appreciate it.
The public by and large are not artists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom