New Enhancements, Dining Options Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

JMcMahonEsq

first off, i grew up at the Jersey Shore... I know the area and the boardwalks... and secondly, they already did try to recreate a 1940s era boardwalk environment which is the resort itself... I am not talking about a present day boardwalk...lol but the same sort of vision that the resort was based on... This would not literally be Wildwood boardwalk dropped into WDW.... any more than the current hotel is not literally Atlantic City... There would be no hoards of unsupervised teens...no hoodlums and organized crime... It is a restaurant allowing people to eat after the parks close.....
There are 6 resorts directly in the Crescent Lake area... that is 4,868 guest accommodations including hotel rooms and villas... I think that is enough people to serve not including the guests that would be traveling through on the Skyliner during operating hours...from the Riviera , CBR and AOA resorts...which is an additional 5,836 rooms... The restaurant could theoretically be serving 10,804 guest rooms.
By late night I am thinking of the hours between 9pm and midnight... There are tons of people that stay for the fioreworks and are not ready to go directly to bed...that would appreciate a place to get a little food or drinks... It has happened many times to us that we get caught up in doing too much, stay for the fireworks and then realize we missed dinner and there is no place to get anything to eat without getting the car and driving off property... There is a reason the lines for the McDonalds near the All Star Resorts and at The Crossroads was always ridiculous late night...
There is a need... And the Boardwalk/ Crescent Lake is one area that would address the largest amount of resort guests from one location...
If all your talking about is a restaurant open late, you again still have to deal with the after hours transporation being an issue, and not being all that nessisary for a major portion of your customer base...familes with young kids.

Also most of the hotels in the area already have offerings that are open later. For example the Fountain in Swan...or maybe Dolphin, I will be honest I get them mixed up, is open until 11. The reserve also has a later night meal offering an they all have bars that are open late night. Granted a small sample size but other than convention weeks when those bars can be packed, i have never experienced the restaurants that are open late being all that crowed, nor have the bars been full to such a capacity that you would think you really have such a demand that needs expanding.

Bocabear

I have never seen a restaurant open later than 10pm other than Tubbi's at the Dolphin... Everything serving real food is usually closed... Some premade sandwiches is about the best you will find. Perhaps if there were such an option as a casual full diner fare available the mythical later evening dining at these hotels would be busy....I have never seen anything open past 10 that offers much of anything. The reserve is way off the beaten trail for people staying at Boardwalk, Yacht Club and Beach Club... At least the boardwalk is a location that most of these people would pass on their way back to the hotels....
The Skyliner is open until 90 minutes after park closing. If you are not staying directly on Crescent lake, (4868 rooms) then you could take an Uber if it is later than that...which would still be better than getting back to your resort, getting in your car and driving off property... If they built it, and created the need, there would be transportation...

Fido Chuckwagon

Beaches and Cream is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than this place (at least from the outside). I'm far from convinced enough people will leave the parks to go get a $32 hamburger and $25 slice of cake.
You raise a good point about B&C. B&C has great food, and is a great dessert place. CBS will be competing with them, at quadruple the prices, for the same set of guests who are in that area.

Tha Realest

This was the product of the appeal to the top 1% mindset that has infected the company since the 2010’s

Remember the Tommorowland Cabanas?

Maybe eventually they’ll figure out that they’re hunting unicorns.
I hope they have an outsized number of unicorns.

That happen to be staying at Boardwalk.

And that happen to not have enough impulse control to wait five more minutes before walking into EPCOT to get a much wider array of cheaper and better food options.

WorldExplorer

True but B&C requires reservations in advance 90% of the time. This presumably won’t.

Beaches and Cream has a to-go window. It doesn't have the food, but does have all the specialty milkshakes and stuff (including a smaller, two-person Kitchen Sink).

I'm under the impression Cake Bake will have the same setup; you can sit down with a reservation (or if they have an open slot) but there's also a to-go counter that's mainly the baked goods.

Fido Chuckwagon

There is nothing off-theme at the boardwalk.

While pricing is indeed insane, this is more on theme than espn club and big river grille - so it’s an improvement in theme.
Theme isn't the most important quality here though. If Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion charged $100 per person to ride on top of park admission then it really doesn't matter how good the theme is.

Bocabear

I would venture to guess, for at least the first year, reservations for Cake Bake Shop will be difficult to get and they will be busy... Everyone will want to get a $26 slice of cake to instagram... The curious will want to check it out...And ultimately they will be another hard to get advanced dining reservation to get... for a while anyway. Beaches and Cream appears to be open until 11pm... I don't remember them being open that late before... so that is a good thing...

Fido Chuckwagon

I would venture to guess, for at least the first year, reservations for Cake Bake Shop will be difficult to get and they will be busy... Everyone will want to get a $26 slice of cake to instagram... The curious will want to check it out...And ultimately they will be another hard to get advanced dining reservation to get... for a while anyway. Beaches and Cream appears to be open until 11pm... I don't remember them being open that late before... so that is a good thing...
I'm sure they will do quite well for the first six months to a year. Just like the Galactic Failcruiser sold out all of it's cruise bookings for the first, what was it, 9 months or so? Then the Cake Failshop will crash back to reality just like the Failcruiser did.

Bocabear

I just don't buy for a second that people are going to purchase $26 slices of cake from the to-go window.
Think about it... Getting back from the parks and passing by...getting a slice of cake to take back to the room..... I see that happening...especially if they serve until 11pm like Beaches and Cream.... I don't think anyone will be happy with the prices, but they do line up for Gideons....of course a slice of Gideon's cake is about a third the price...it will be about convenience....

Eric Graham

Think about it... Getting back from the parks and passing by...getting a slice of cake to take back to the room..... I see that happening...especially if they serve until 11pm like Beaches and Cream.... I don't think anyone will be happy with the prices, but they do line up for Gideons....of course a slice of Gideon's cake is about a third the price...it will be about convenience....
not really a fan of gideons, moreso of amorette's patisserie, que sara sara

Bocabear

You could argue that stuff like ESPN is Coney or Jersey Shore-themed! Which Disney absolutely does not want lol
I don't think ESPN ever fit the theme of the property... ESPN is not Coney Island or Jersey Shore themed..... Neither is Cake Bake Shop... I don't think of the 1940s Atlantic City boardwalk being a posh girly pink and white sparkles kind of place at all... It is a better match for Grand Floridian's Faux Victorian styling...but Grand Floridian doesn't get the foot traffic that The Boardwalk does. Disney Springs would have been a good match for it, but with Sprinkles and Gideon's already there, it would definitely make price a bigger issue... What would be amazing would have been a restaurant actually themed to the 1940s Coney Island amusement parks...What a visual feast they could have created with that! and completely on-theme for the resort....

WorldExplorer

Boardwalk bakery has lots of options for $5.99 and less.

1 slice of cake? Or a key lime tart, cannoli, tiramisu, slice of carrot cake, and a fruit tart.

You could order every dessert on Ale and Compass's to-go menu (12 layer chocolate cake, apple cobbler, and mango spiced lemon pound cake) at once for the price of a cake slice at Cake Bake.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom