New effects in The Haunted Mansion

SMRT-1

Original Poster
according to the website inside the magic ...

"There are 3 new projectors mounted opposite the Hitchhiking Ghost mirrors at the end of the Haunted Mansion."

Captain Chaos

Projectors which project what?

I'm highly suspicious of this, since the terminology in the quote doesn't match the actual effect.

Well, at the end of the ride you are supposed to be looking at "mirrors" when the hitch hiking ghosts appear in your car... So... they are using the right terms..

Mansion Butler

Well, at the end of the ride you are supposed to be looking at "mirrors" when the hitch hiking ghosts appear in your car... So... they are using the right terms..
Well, of course it's a mirror, and obviously a ghost is sitting with you. So then I'm not quite sure why there is a projector.

:lookaroun

Tinkerbell 8

I took the keys to the kingdom tour in january and out guide mentioned something about adding new images for this section in the haunted mansion. She said that because of the way they project the light, they can change the figures.

Neverland

I took the keys to the kingdom tour in january and out guide mentioned something about adding new images for this section in the haunted mansion. She said that because of the way they project the light, they can change the figures.

I want to say that I heard something like that on the CM Mansion tour I did a few months ago. But it was really early in the morning and I got about an hour of sleep, so a lot of that tour is a blur to me. :dazzle:

Rob562

My guess, especially after following that other thread a month or two ago, is that the projectors will be used for some kind of enhanced mirror effect.

It may be that these new projectors somehow will project images either onto the glass, or through the glass onto some kind of projection surface built on the other side. (I'm not sure if the "mirrors" are just glass or if they're actually half-silvered mirrors. I'm guessing the latter.) As long as the projectors themselves are outside of the view of the Guest, either from in the car directly or through the reflection, they won't be noticed.

If the projectors were aimed *through* the glass onto a projection surface that couldn't be seen on the far side, and the system knew exactly where each car was, I can envision a multitude of possible effects (though the "realism" of them would be something I'd have to see first)

It'd be along the lines of the choose-your-ending in Horizons, where the video followed your specific vehicle, but was projected by a set of stationary projectors that had a combined coverage of the entire run of the cars.

Imagine a projected hitchhiker that would actually fade in and out of view sitting beside you. Or if the system could see where people were sitting, he could put his arms around the shoulders of each rider. Or what about ghostly monster arms seemingly emerging around around the sides of your Doombuggy reaching for you?
There are MANY potential effects...

The only possible drawbacks (and this goes back to the "I'd have to see it in action before I judged it" part) is that with the projected image, because it's not a 3-dimensional object like the current ghostly figures are, things may not line up properly when looking at adjacent buggies in the mirror (like when you look over at your friends in the next buggy, their ghost may not look quite lined up properly from your perspective).

-Rob

Rum Pirate

Vindacation

Didn't a new member state this a few months ago??? So, this new member was right after all???

God I love Vindication, I have not seen these yet, however if it is what I posted earlier, they are the projectors for the HHG while they are being worked on, but will let you know. Im out of town this week

djkidkaz

I would guess that they are doing something that links the interactive queue to the inside of the actual ride. I remember thinking this a month or so ago when one of the insiders on here was alluding to remembering three names or something.

mitchk

At first I thought they were talking about the pointing fingers they were projecting on the back of the boom buggies to point guest out in the right direction. :shrug: Guess not :confused:

Buried20KLeague

I'm picturing something like the ghosts you see for a few seconds in the ToT as you first go up the shaft to the 5th dimension... If it's something like that, I'm at least interested.

It would remove the fact that currently the HHG's are 3D... But I'm not sure that matters that much to me. Especially if they can do a lot with the effect, as opposed to just having a wobbly static figure in the center of the doombuggy. I like the current effect (for nostalgia reasons, maybe?), but it's not one that I would scream about if they changed it.

EDIT TO ADD: I WOULD, however, take issue with them actually changing the HHG characters. They're iconic. If they change the effect and keep the HHG's... Good deal. If they want to change it to somehow match different characters from the new que or something... Houston, we have a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom