New DVC Resort

googilycub

I don't think we know DVC = expansion. What is Disney incentive to expand if they already have yearly income coming in from DVC members? I think the opposite, DVC has caused expansion to slow. What can a DVC member do to force Disney hand to expand? DVC members can sell as long as there is a market. Can DVC members with hold yearly payment?

No they can not with hold yearly payment, unless they want to lose their membership....A DVC member, if unhappy with WDW, can just NOT go to WDW. The points can be used at other resorts than those in the Disney family, DVC members also have access to RCI, with its resorts all around the world.

TRONorail10

There's always the spur that goes to the maintenance barn.:rolleyes: I'm Sure there's plenty of room out there. It would be a mechanic's and engineers dream resort!!

Though that was the plan for the Persian Resort. With everything that has evolved over the years, it will never happen off of that spur line. That line is for service and maintenance only, the only time the trains use it is when they are coming in and out of the garage. The remaining area where the resort would have been is used as a maintenance storage area for large scale equipment, as well as Pluto Park which is the make-shift parking lot for Disney managers.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ Let alone the view today would make that plot inpractical, remember the Persian was to have been on a loop line, not a spur.

TRONorail10

It's amazing how many people complain about Kidani Village and Bay Lake Tower. YOU are the ones who wanted these resorts, so Disney built them for YOU! Yet all people do is complain... "oh, the walk to too long... there's no quick-service"... blah, blah, BLAH! How lazy has society gotten? You can't WALK a half-mile? Seriously? Did u never excercise? And you are staying in a VILLA with a kitchen! You are supposed to get your own food because most people are staying for around a week's time. Which is why the shops offer all the necessities to allow for you to make meals right in your own room. Kidani offers you the opportunity to have LIVE African animals right outside your balcony - how can you complain about that?! You cannot find that at any other resort in North America! And Bay Lake Tower offers views of the Magic Kingdom and Bay Lake... but that's not good enough. I think people need to start appreciating their experiences more instead of blaming others (Disney) for their own laziness. That is all.

MaryJaneP

I think people need to start appreciating their experiences more instead of blaming others (Disney) for their own laziness. That is all.

Wow. There is a difference between complaining about the lack of finish and theming on Kidani and BLT versus complaining about distance. The pp had extolled the imagineering and fit of the DVC resorts and I disagree. BLT could have been an A-frame, could have been made part of Contemporary, could have advanced/expanded the modern feel of the Contemporary. Instead, it feels like I'm in my local hospital. I like Contemporary, I dislike BLT. Simple statement quite unlike the response.

Pioneer Hall

A second BLT would be on the monorail.

I feel that if the resort had sold faster, you would have seen another tower on the other side. Bay Lake Tower would have been complemented nicely by Seven Seas Tower. However, I believe that it would also have to be sold as a completely different resort and would have it's own owners from BLT. If Disney would have wanted to build another tower then they would have had to declare that when the project started because the points would have been allocated for all those units. Unfortunately they cannot go in and change the POS now in order to do that. So I feel that while the idea would have worked, it would be very confusing now two have two different DVC resorts (not to mention a regular resort) in the exact same place.

Brian Noble

I expect to see a second BLT tower...eventually. The location is too valuable not to use for something more than the garden wing. As an extension of CR, I think BLT is just fine.

As for AKV---the long/skinny design makes for longer walks, but it also increases the "surface area" of the resort that is exposed to Savannah, and that's a big part of the allure there. It's not such a terrible design decision in that context.

Tom

Beta Return
It's amazing how many people complain about Kidani Village and Bay Lake Tower. YOU are the ones who wanted these resorts, so Disney built them for YOU! Yet all people do is complain... "oh, the walk to too long... there's no quick-service"... blah, blah, BLAH! How lazy has society gotten? You can't WALK a half-mile? Seriously? Did u never excercise? And you are staying in a VILLA with a kitchen! You are supposed to get your own food because most people are staying for around a week's time. Which is why the shops offer all the necessities to allow for you to make meals right in your own room. Kidani offers you the opportunity to have LIVE African animals right outside your balcony - how can you complain about that?! You cannot find that at any other resort in North America! And Bay Lake Tower offers views of the Magic Kingdom and Bay Lake... but that's not good enough. I think people need to start appreciating their experiences more instead of blaming others (Disney) for their own laziness. That is all.

Someone missed their nap today.

I'm paying big bucks for them to provide an intelligent hotel layout. It didn't happen at Kidani. The check-in area could have been more centered in the resort. It's an obscenely long walk to the far rooms, especially after a long day in the parks, or if you're trying to catch a bus and realized you left something in your room. You could easily lose an hour of your day making the trek to/from the room, and then missing a bus and waiting another half hour for it.

And, don't call me lazy.

jt04

I expect to see a second BLT tower...eventually. The location is too valuable not to use for something more than the garden wing. As an extension of CR, I think BLT is just fine.

As for AKV---the long/skinny design makes for longer walks, but it also increases the "surface area" of the resort that is exposed to Savannah, and that's a big part of the allure there. It's not such a terrible design decision in that context.

Agreed that a second BLT tower is likely for the same reason. And hopefully it will have some sort of "people mover" that connects it to the Wilderness Lodge. I think enclosed ski gondolas that can transport people from a location just north but connecting to the lodge by a short covered walkway would work. It could terminate at a level in the new BLT tower which would be connected to an overhead walkway as the current tower is. This would essentially put the WL on the MK monorail line and allow CR guests easy access to WL's ameneties.

*lightbulb on* :cool:

I really think people should consider the posssibilty that the increasingly obsolete TTC could be the site of a new resort with the Magic Kingdom parking reconfigured to accomadate day visitors. To me using the TTC land and more and more of the MK parking lot (as the resort grows) is a real possibility. And I have an idea how they could do just that while enhancing the experience of visiting the MK by all guests. Yep, I sure have. And it wouldn't cost that much. Actually I think it would make money. A lot of money.

toolsnspools

At this point there are likely a dozen or more DVC resort opportunites "planned" for WDW. I expect they have blue sky "plans" that go as far as rough blueprints for a second tower, a GF DVC, and a Poly DVC. We've seen the plans (or at least part of them) for the DVC at FW. The cost/benefit of each of those plans is what will determine if they make it to construction, and what order they make it in.

The walk at Kidani is killer. We were out on the end. It was 10 minutes at a brisk walk to get to the lobby. We even talked about how they should put in tunnels from the ends of the buildings that connected to a viewing "hub" of sorts in the middle of the savannah, with a leg that went into the lobby. I guess DVC is not the only one imagineering new hotels. :lol:

JWG

I feel that if the resort had sold faster, you would have seen another tower on the other side. Bay Lake Tower would have been complemented nicely by Seven Seas Tower. However, I believe that it would also have to be sold as a completely different resort and would have it's own owners from BLT. If Disney would have wanted to build another tower then they would have had to declare that when the project started because the points would have been allocated for all those units. Unfortunately they cannot go in and change the POS now in order to do that. So I feel that while the idea would have worked, it would be very confusing now two have two different DVC resorts (not to mention a regular resort) in the exact same place.

Disagree. I fully expect they'll add a 2nd tower at some point. Which is really not great for the CR. The capacity for the monorail station, restaurants, etc. will be over tasked if it's the same setup as the existing tower (no amenities in the tower itself). I'll feel bad for those guests at the Poly and GF especially as the CR/BLT/3rd tower guests fill the resort monorail.

Also, Treehouse Villas were added to SSR after the fact, so I'm sure a 2nd tower can be added tot he BLT point allotment as well. I would think they'd want to keep them the same. Actually would be good for BLT owners as it would add mroe standard view rooms likely.

jt04

Disagree. I fully expect they'll add a 2nd tower at some point. Which is really not great for the CR. The capacity for the monorail station, restaurants, etc. will be over tasked if it's the same setup as the existing tower (no amenities in the tower itself). I'll feel bad for those guests at the Poly and GF especially as the CR/BLT/3rd tower guests fill the resort monorail.

Also, Treehouse Villas were added to SSR after the fact, so I'm sure a 2nd tower can be added tot he BLT point allotment as well. I would think they'd want to keep them the same. Actually would be good for BLT owners as it would add mroe standard view rooms likely.

Don't feel too sorry for Poly and GF guests as I don't think there is much of a chance that the MK resort line will fill up. I have a feeling Disney has an app for that.

OK, I have figured out how they can make all this work. I have been holding off adding it to the Imagineering thread but I have finally figured it out because until now something was just not meshing. It is potentially beyond amazing (if I do say so myself :eek:). I need to think it through a bit more before posting but I am pretty sure it would work and would be very 'user friendly'. Watch the "less is more" thread for future additions. :D

*brain melts* :dazzle:

jt04

Oh and adding a DVC to the GF does not make sense to me. I think they are better off keeping that resort at the current scale and keeping it a bit 'exclusive'. Just my opinion.

PirateFrank

<nitpick>
I would disagree. I read "Considering the source is valid" as "Considering that the source is valid". To me and probably most others, that gets translated to "Since I think the source is valid". Maybe you could have said "Depending upon the validity of the source."
</nitpick>

and i would disagree with you....I read it just now for the first time and knew exactly what the person meant. It was a conditional and in a spoken conversation would have been understood.....

regardless, this sorta thing is dreadfully stupid to spar over. Seriously. The imediate hammer that gets slammed on someone whenever a fear of a 'baseless rumor' is presented is old and tiring on this site. It's a darn rumor board.....let people voice and explain themselves before stomping on them as frauds or bus drivers.

If this were posted on a non-rumor board, I could see the justification....but to argue over the way someone tried to comment.....for fear that the comment would justify a rumor, is well.....rediculous.

TimeTrip

and i would disagree with you....I read it just now for the first time and knew exactly what the person meant. It was a conditional and in a spoken conversation would have been understood.....

Disagree again. If that was actually spoken, I (and many others) would have interpreted it the same way.. or at least have prompted a clarification. However your points abouts slamming people posting a rumor are well taken... but thats a whole other debate that happens about once a month.. isn't it? :)

Tom

Beta Return
Disagree again. If that was actually spoken, I (and many others) would have interpreted it the same way.. or at least have prompted a clarification. However your points abouts slamming people posting a rumor are well taken... but thats a whole other debate that happens about once a month.. isn't it? :)

It was indeed poorly worded, and implied that the OP's source was automatically credible.

Buried20KLeague

Can't believe we're four pages in, and I'm the first to mention it, but...

There was talk online about a year ago, complete with a drawing, of the GF receiving a DVC wing where the spa or racket club (or both) currently sits. The talk was that they were going to add a very small number of DVC rooms in this location (a la Grand Californian in Anaheim), then rebuild/replace the spa/racquet club in another location close by.

Seems to me that would make total sense, and would be built much faster than an entire new resort. They could break ground on a small DVC wing at the GF and the rumored FW add at the same time... Be able to start selling the GF points much earlier than the FW points, and have them close to sold out by the time the FW resort was complete.

Truthfully, I'll be more surprised if this DOESN'T happen than if it does. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom