New DVC at Grand Floridian...

Just did some a simple example for myself.

Using AKL Kidani, studio as an example.

Purchase 160 points at $110/point = $17,600. No financing, Paid in full to make things simple.

Kidani has 36 years left in contract.

Assume $1000/year for dues, that's $36,000. (again, keeping it simple) (current dues for 2010 are $4.949 per point, so this should be $791.84)

Adding that to the $17,600 gives $53,600.

Dividing $53,600 over 36 years gives $1488 per year. (I know that the $17,600 was paid up front)

Currently, 1 week for an AKL Studio, Sunday-Sunday goes for 73 points; so I can get 2 weeks in a year for 146 points.

Take my cost of $1488/year divided by 14 nights gives me $106/night.

A standard room at AKL currently goes for $240/night, and as you show, will increase.

My rate of $106/night is locked in for 36 years.

The only thing lacking in my calculations is increase in yearly dues - and the possible finance of purchase over the first n years.

When spread over 36 years, I don't see how even the increase in dues would overtake the nightly room cost, even your discounted $140 rate - although it may come closer to that with financing and yearly dues increases.
You need to figure in discount on tickets.

Biff215

Just did some a simple example for myself.

Using AKL Kidani, studio as an example.

Purchase 160 points at $110/point = $17,600. No financing, Paid in full to make things simple.

Kidani has 36 years left in contract.

Assume $1000/year for dues, that's $36,000. (again, keeping it simple) (current dues for 2010 are $4.949 per point, so this should be $791.84)

Adding that to the $17,600 gives $53,600.

Dividing $53,600 over 36 years gives $1488 per year. (I know that the $17,600 was paid up front)

Currently, 1 week for an AKL Studio, Sunday-Sunday goes for 73 points; so I can get 2 weeks in a year for 146 points.

Take my cost of $1488/year divided by 14 nights gives me $106/night.

A standard room at AKL currently goes for $240/night, and as you show, will increase.

My rate of $106/night is locked in for 36 years.

The only thing lacking in my calculations is increase in yearly dues - and the possible finance of purchase over the first n years.

When spread over 36 years, I don't see how even the increase in dues would overtake the nightly room cost, even your discounted $140 rate - although it may come closer to that with financing and yearly dues increases.

Kidani's contracts end in 2057. That would give you around 47 more years, not 36. That will change it quite a bit.

Phonedave

I guess i have to chime in, with maybe some sanity (or maybe not)

1) Building a DVC unit does not take money away from the parks (or the cruise line, or anywhere else for that matter). DVC is a separate unit. All costs, profits, capital expenditures are internal to the DVC unit. If anything, maybe someone from the parks should visit with the President of the DVC to see how he is somehow able to run a unit that is in the black and yet keeps thousands of satisfied customers, while still providing a good product.

2) DVC is just like the DDP. If your eating habits match the DDP, then yes you save money on the DDP. IF you try to shoehorn your dining to match the plan, thats not really saving money. If your vacation patterns and expenditures match the DVC model, then the DVC is a sound purchase. For me, the DDP is a waste, but the DVC has turned out to be wonderful.

3) My buy-in at the DVC cost me +/- $16,000. Thats not even a car, let alone a down payment on a house. Not when the average starter house (2 bed, 1 bath, average finishes) goes for about $325,000 in this area. $16,000 might get you a loan to build a new two car garage, but thats about it.

-dave

WDW1974

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is open for soft previews, it is much better than anything Disney has pulled off in the last fifteen years, and the latest rumor from Disney is a new DVC.

:dazzle:

(And for the record, I hate HP, but I have to admit I was blown away by the land.)

And this surprises you (as a sane voice) how exactly?

Disney is about hawking timeshares, dining plans, pins, plush and vinyl ... and treading on nostalgia.

And who cares about immersive cutting edge attractions like Potter anyway? Fanbois will get to color with Aurora and ride a four-minute D( at best) ticket dark ride with Ariel.

UNI raises the bar yet again in Orlando and Disney yawns and says 'we put one over on them with the Decade of Decline, why can't we do it for another decade?'

And I'll be nice and not even attack the whole concept of DVC being a deal here ... because for a vast majority (not everyone) it absolutely doesn't even come close.

Next Big Thing

The average home price for Tampa is $159,900. (source)
He doesn't live in Orlando or Tampa so i don't see your point. Houses are going to be different average prices all over the place so thats a mute argument.

The overall point is though, as Phonedave said, DVC is a good value for you if your vacation style fits it. If not, then it is not for you and just ignore it. It's not taking anything away from the Parks so there really is no argument to be made here that I can see. It's a completely seperate unit that has it's own president and runs it's own operations. If it fits you vacatoining style, do it. If not, just ignore it and shut up.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
But is there hot and cold running trollops?

I can see from comments by the usual posters there is likely to be a deficiency in the er department.

mrerk

Premium Member
I agree. I bought 10 years ago on the resale market and paid around $60 a point. At that price point the financials made a lot of sense (and still do). Best purchase I've ever made.

But now that the points cost nearly twice that much, I'd have to wonder if it would make as much sense. I probably would not buy today.

One other point, though... if you compare values or even moderates to DVC on a strictly financial standpoint you are missing the QUALITY of the DVC accommodations. Now that I'm used to that level, my days of staying in a hotel room are over.

There are still a lot of OKW resales in the $60-$65 range. Granted you have lost 10 years, but it does change the numbers quite a bit.

And I am with you on the DVC accomodations vs. a regular room. There is no going back.

googilycub

If you finance (which most do), at a decent interest rate, after 10 years, that $17,600 becomes $28,000. Of course, if you have only moderate to good credit, that $17,600 becomes about $40,000 over 10 years.

Little bit different, eh?

To me, if you have the money so you don't have to finance, then it's sort of a no brainer. If you have that kind of money, why WOULDN'T you pay for your vacations in advance for 40 years?

It is intersting to me that you keep harping on the fact that most DVC members finance, and include the interest rate to make DVC look higher, but fail to mention that most people who pay for just a hotel room do so on a credit card and don't pay it off the next month. That is 15-20% every month until it is payed off.

MissM

He doesn't live in Orlando or Tampa so i don't see your point. Houses are going to be different average prices all over the place so thats a mute argument.
First off, dear gods get it right. MOOT argument. Not "mute." To quote Old Biff you sound like a damned fool when you say it wrong!
moot point
- 1 dictionary result
Idioms & Phrases

moot point

A debatable question, an issue open to argument; also, an irrelevant question, a matter of no importance. For example, Whether Shakespeare actually wrote the poem remains a moot point among critics , or It's a moot point whether the chicken or the egg came first . This term originated in British law where it described a point for discussion in a moot , or assembly, of law students. By the early 1700s it was being used more loosely in the present sense. source

And, I can say it IS a down payment because in MY area it is. $325k doesn't represent the entire country and since he quoted HIS median price for a home as a proof of fact, I did as well.

In fact, you argue my own point for me. In some areas, it may not represent as much money - but in MANY OTHER AREAS it does.

Next Big Thing

First off, dear gods get it right. MOOT argument. Not "mute." To quote Old Biff you sound like a damned fool when you say it wrong!
moot point
- 1 dictionary result
Idioms & Phrases

moot point

A debatable question, an issue open to argument; also, an irrelevant question, a matter of no importance. For example, Whether Shakespeare actually wrote the poem remains a moot point among critics , or It's a moot point whether the chicken or the egg came first . This term originated in British law where it described a point for discussion in a moot , or assembly, of law students. By the early 1700s it was being used more loosely in the present sense. source

is all I can say to this.

And, I can say it IS a down payment because in MY area it is. $325k doesn't represent the entire country and since he quoted HIS median price for a home as a proof of fact, I did as well.

In fact, you argue my own point for me. In some areas, it may not represent as much money - but in MANY OTHER AREAS it does.
So say it is basically like a down payment on a house. All I can say is going back to what Phone Dave said again. For some people it will work with their vacationing styles. For some (many probably) it won't. Since you live in the area, you may have different plans of going to the parks than someone who live up north or really any other part of the country. There is a market for it and it works for those who buy into it and that's why they buy into it. That's all i'm going to say. For you, it may have no use b/c you live so close, but it's just an added benefit and a nicer hotel to possibly stay at if you please. It's not taking away from anything else so the argument, again is MOOT imo.

captainkidd

It is intersting to me that you keep harping on the fact that most DVC members finance, and include the interest rate to make DVC look higher, but fail to mention that most people who pay for just a hotel room do so on a credit card and don't pay it off the next month. That is 15-20% every month until it is payed off.

I'm not doing it to make it look higher. I'm doing it to show the true cost.

And you're 100% right about people who use credit cards. I'm just not one of them. Maybe that's a big reason DVC doesn't work for me. I pay for my vacations with cash.

captainkidd

And I am with you on the DVC accomodations vs. a regular room. There is no going back.

Eh - I've stayed at OKW and Wilderness Lodge Villas. I won't have any difficulty staying in a standard room at the Yacht Club.

Don't get me wrong - The Villa accomidations are beautiful, but many people prefer the hotel setting while on vacation. Personally, the last things I want to see while on vacation are a kitchen and a washing machine.

pax_65

Eh - I've stayed at OKW and Wilderness Lodge Villas. I won't have any difficulty staying in a standard room at the Yacht Club.

Don't get me wrong - The Villa accomidations are beautiful, but many people prefer the hotel setting while on vacation. Personally, the last things I want to see while on vacation are a kitchen and a washing machine.

I have friends like this... they love to stay at the Grand Floridian. They enjoy all the services of a hotel including maid and room service. Their children are all grown and don't vacation with them, so a hotel room offers plenty of space.

It just goes to show that DVC isn't for everyone. We travel with two kids and have never used room service in our life. We like to eat breakfast in the villa so we can get out the door quickly, so we love having a fridge. We enjoy going back to the condo in the middle of the day to relax, eat lunch, hit the pool, etc. so we really enjoy all the extra space of the villa. Kids can watch TV in one room, we in another room, etc.

While I don't "enjoy" laundry on vacation we definitely do a few loads so that we don't have to pack tons of clothes for everyone, which makes traveling with kids a lot easier.

I actually believe that more people own DVC than probably should, because it isn't for everyone. If you don't go to Disney at least once a year, I think it's tough to make the financials add up in your favor. If you like to stay in hotels, want the full-service they provide, don't need the extra space of a villa, etc. then it probably doesn't make sense to buy.

But like I said, for us... it was the best purchase we've ever made and I've never regretted it for a second.

Phonedave

The average home price for Tampa is $159,900. (source) and Orlando $164,900 (source)

Still not a down payment.

20% is the minimum to not require PMI in most cases.

Not to mention housing prices in Tampa/Orlando have been dropping like a rock over the last 3 years, because insurance costs are through the roof (when the roof does not blow away).

The point remains, that for many people $16,000 is not an astonomical sum. Signifigant yes, but not something people cannot ever afford. As I said before, its a cheap car, and people buy them all the time.

If the DVC works, then it work. If it does not, then it does not. Of course for somone like you, who can day trip to WDW, the situation if going to be different. However the number of people who can day trip to WDW is far less than the number who can't.

The face that the majority of DVC owners are in the Northeast, where the cost of living and housing costs are the highest also speaks to financial analysis.

If somebody wants to go to a DVC kiosk and transcribe the data showing the number of owners by state (I cant find it on line) I bet if you bang it up against a cost of living and housing cost data map, you will see a correlation.

-dave

kbmum

The kitchen and washer/dryer are a huge plus for my family. If the four of us ate at quick service restaurants for every meal of our usual 9-day trip, it would cost us roughly $800 ($30 or so per meal). We just placed a Garden Grocer order for our upcoming trip that totaled $275 (we're feeding ourselves plus my parents, who are staying in a Contemporary wing room). We're saving about $525 for my family and about $225 for my parents. We really don't mind cooking -- my husband cooks, I clean, and the kids pitch in.

The washer and dryer don't save us a lot of money, but they save time and are very convenient. We can pack lighter to avoid airline baggage fees. I don't think it's any big deal to throw a load of laundry in the washer when we're relaxing in our room in the middle of the afternoon. Before we became DVC members, we stayed at the Contemporary. I've spent many hours sitting in the Contemporary's public laundry room, waiting my turn for washing machines and becoming very aggravated with dryers that needed two or three cycles (at $2 a pop) to dry a smal load of clothes. There were times when it took two hours or more to get the laundry done. So, yes, I much prefer having laundry machines in my room.

For us, DVC was a good deal for the type of accommodations we like and the number of days we visit each trip. The amenities, like the kitchen and laundry, make the deal that much better for us.

WDITrent

I think this is good news! I am not a DVC member, and will likely never be, because it's not money I'm willing to spend. However, my family is staying at Bay Lake Tower our next visit because it is the perfect size and deal for us. DVC locations are a great alternative for anyone, and for DVC members. If you don't want to be a member, don't be a member. I sure as heck don't want to be a member. But I welcome these new DVC locations! Seeing the popularity of Bay Lake Tower, it's no wonder Disney is considering a GF offering. And I think that would be a great place to stay in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom