New DVC at Grand Floridian...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Some people may even purchase with no regard to the numbers on a calculator but emotional reasons, I suspect that there may even be people who use the dining plan and make menu choices based on the food rather than the foods price.

Bloody weirdos.

To quote Conrad, "The horror! The horror!" :rolleyes:

jakeman

There are just so many variables. I don't think anyone should go into DVC thinking "This is a good opportunity to save a ton of money on Disney Vacations". Unless of course, you always stay Deluxe, and are too lazy to get yourself a discount.:animwink:
I agree for the most part, people shouldn't go in expecting to save "a ton", but as you stated the savings can be there, and that is regardless of your vigilance in discounting.

For example, we are staying at AKL for 10 days at the beginning of the Food and Wine Festival. So far there are no discounts for that period. If we booked through the Disney website our room would cost $470.00 a night. With DVC, based on our value per point it is costing us $87.00 a night. It is roughly $3000 in accomidation saved. Even if we took a cast member 40% off rate we would still come out ahead as DVC members.

Just for shiggles and it is a slow day at work here, I pushed our vacation theoretically back a week to take advantage of the free dining promotion. The total package would be $4139.52. With DVC accomidations, tickets, and dining plan all purchased seperately, the trip would be $2771.30. Still a savings of roughly $1400.

My point here is that if you stay in deluxe resorts the savings are real and should be considered, regardless of what discounts are going on at the time, as demonstrated here. If you compare apples to apples, I think more often than not, at least in my experience, you will come out at least a little ahead with DVC.

captainkidd

For 2 weeks in the summer at Beach Club Villas 2 bedroom, you'd need 622 points. At $110 per point, you're at $68,420. Let's say you have to finance that over 10 years. At a decent interest rate, you are now paying $108,480.

Now, let's add in dues. At the current rate, you'd be paying $3,078 per year. Over 36 years (and let's just say dues don't increase), that would be an additional $110,818.

Now, you're DVC investment has cost you $220,000.

Now, a standrard room at the Beach Club is CERTAINLY not apples to apples with a 2 bedroom villa. However, Disney doesn't allow my family of 5 in a 1 bedroom villa (I wonder why).

I'm staying at the Yacht Club (water view room) for $3,600 for 2 weeks this summer. We could have stayed in a standard view for $2,900. We could stay in that room for 2 weeks every year for 75 years for the price you will be paying to stay at the Beach Club Villas for 2 weeks for 36 years.

Again, this does not include resort room increases, but it also doesn't include dues increases and possibly higher interest rates.

Point here being, DVC isn't a guaranteed money saver for Deluxe Resort guests.

Many different variables.

jakeman

Again, this does not include resort room increases, but it also doesn't include dues increases and possibly higher interest rates.

Point here being, DVC isn't a guaranteed money saver for Deluxe Resort guests.
Of course it isn't. Especially when you take it to its theorectical maximum.

Again though, you aren't comparing the same product. You are comparing 1 standard hotel room with basically a small apartment.

Your situation seems like a perfect storm for DVC not to work (no insult intended).

There are just as many variable that will allow you to save money with DVC than there are that will end up costing you money, if your individual situation is amicable to the system.

That is really up to the individual to decided, not two bored guys on a message board! :lol:

captainkidd

Of course it isn't. Especially when you take it to its theorectical maximum.

Again though, you aren't comparing the same product. You are comparing 1 standard hotel room with basically a small apartment.

Your situation seems like a perfect storm for DVC not to work (no insult intended).

There are just as many variable that will allow you to save money with DVC than there are that will end up costing you money, if your individual situation is amicable to the system.

That is really up to the individual to decided, not two bored guys on a message board! :lol:

LOL - Exactly.

The funny thing is, years ago, when we first started looking into it, there was just 3 of us. It didn't make sense then because we liked staying at the Values.

Now, there's 5 of us and we stay Deluxe, and it doesn't make sense because we'd need a 2 bedroom villa.

We've discussed giving up one of our children to make DVC make sense, but my wife won't go for it.:lol:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Again I add, who cares who thinks it is good and who thinks it is bad. The point to be made is that people want to buy into DVC and the only way to sell additional DVC memberships is to build more DVC resorts. DVC resorts on WDW sale faster than those off site, so I am sure they are looking for additional resort to add to and build stand alone. I think adding them to exisiting resorts makes more money for Disney becuase they can push some of the resorts operating cost to DVC dues.

tirian

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is open for soft previews, it is much better than anything Disney has pulled off in the last fifteen years, and the latest rumor from Disney is a new DVC.

:dazzle:

(And for the record, I hate HP, but I have to admit I was blown away by the land.)

LOL - Exactly.

The funny thing is, years ago, when we first started looking into it, there was just 3 of us. It didn't make sense then because we liked staying at the Values.

Now, there's 5 of us and we stay Deluxe, and it doesn't make sense because we'd need a 2 bedroom villa.

We've discussed giving up one of our children to make DVC make sense, but my wife won't go for it.:lol:

Maybe you should have a discussion with the kids about giving up the wife instead...LOL...

jakeman

There are 1 bedroom villas at Kidani and BLT that sleep 5 and would cost much less.
But I can see captainkidd's point.

I wouldn't want limits places where I can stay (in DVC properties) just because of my family size.

By justifying it to a narrow set of conditions where you will save money, you are limiting the usefulness of the program.

worldfanatic

I don't blame non DVCers for not wanting to hear about DVC rumors. Before I joined, I didn't want to hear anything about DVC myself. I also tried to use numbers to claim it a bad financial deal

Now that I've joined, everything's changed. The rumor of a new DVC property is huge. My vacations are now centered around the resorts.
I still love the parks, but my park commando days are long gone.

My 12 nights at the the Boardwalk Resort and Wilderness Lodge this summer are costing me around $80/night for the yearly dues.
Pretty nice, and that value's locked in for 30+ more years.
Bring on inflation, maybe I'll pay $90/night in 5 years, sounds good! God knows what the rack rates will be then.

I've got a feeling some of the DVC naysayers would change their tune dramatically if they were "In the Club".
In the meantime, they should pass on entering any thread with DVC in the title.....it seems to frustrate them.

thewhitequeen

Sooooooo freakin tired of hearing about DVC, overpriced and waste of money. Why dont they build a non-DVC resort? They havent even filled the ones they have yet, why would they build another? Supply and Demand...

Wouldn't the millions they would spend on that be better used in lets say, oh i dont know... THE PARKS!

unbeliveable if true.

Why don't they build another PARK?!?!? They have enough hotels already. DVC makes *more* people drink *more* koolaid so they'll keep building them though.

captainkidd

I've got a feeling some of the DVC naysayers would change their tune dramatically if they were "In the Club".
In the meantime, they should pass on entering any thread with DVC in the title.....it seems to frustrate them.

Quite possibly.

But that's not the case with everyone. Certainly not me. I haven't joined, and it doesn't frustrate me. What frustrates me are DVC owners who are adament that DVC is a savings no matter who you are.

I do admit, I wish I had bought about 15 years ago, but I didn't have the money then. Now, the prices are just too high.

pax_65

I do admit, I wish I had bought about 15 years ago, but I didn't have the money then. Now, the prices are just too high.

I agree. I bought 10 years ago on the resale market and paid around $60 a point. At that price point the financials made a lot of sense (and still do). Best purchase I've ever made.

But now that the points cost nearly twice that much, I'd have to wonder if it would make as much sense. I probably would not buy today.

One other point, though... if you compare values or even moderates to DVC on a strictly financial standpoint you are missing the QUALITY of the DVC accommodations. Now that I'm used to that level, my days of staying in a hotel room are over.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wow! 114 post so far and I have learned that some people like the DVC and some people don't.

Is there any chance that someone actually knows anything about the topic of this thread? Is there any validity to the next DVC project being at GF?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Wow! 114 post so far and I have learned that some people like the DVC and some people don't.

Is there any chance that someone actually knows anything about the topic of this thread? Is there any validity to the next DVC project being at GF?

No, Screamscape seems to have their rumors in a twist....

Fractal514

My wife and I purchased DVC for three reasons...

1. I am a summer camp director and will ALWAYS vacation in September or January. I bought at Grand Californian because it had the best incentives and we plan to visit DL every few years to switch it up. For us it made financial sense.

2. When I got to book a Disney trip, I see the prices for the deluxes and I see the prices for the Moderates, and I always cave and book moderate. Now, there's nothing wrong with them, but when I get down there we go to the deluxes for dinner or something and I drool... So my wife and I decided that we could afford it and bought into DVC to ensure that we DO stay at deluxes.

3. I want to bring family members down with me. For example, my wife and I were going to get a 1 bedroom this september when we stay at the BLT, so I asked my brother if he wanted to tag along. Now cutting out the room expense (for him) made it doable. He would not be able to join us if he needed his own room. Furthermore, since I'm paying the same regardless, I don't mind letting him join us and not charging him anything.

Just my thoughts...

toolsnspools

... ten years later ....

If we had bought back in 2010 that would have been a good deal, but now that it's 2020 it just doesn't make sense. And those people that bought when key west first opened, whew they made a killing. :ROFLOL:

Sorry for the Spongebob verbage. Somtimes it just happens. :hammer:

On topic, I would love to see GF get a DVC. I think DVC is clearly stealing customers from the Deluxe resorts (based on the added value of DVC for those customers, and ability to make the initial DVC payment.) so modifying them to accomodate DVC customers makes sense. The GF will not hold a candle to the new Four Seasons being built, so many of the current GF customers will be heading that direction anyway.

Bork Bork

I hope this isn't mentioned somewhere in this ever-enlarging thread...but would it be possible for a potential GF-DVC wing to have an entrance into MK similar to what the GCV have at DL? Maybe between AL and FL?

Not sure about the layout of things between GF and MK.

jakeman

I hope this isn't mentioned somewhere in this ever-enlarging thread...but would it be possible for a potential GF-DVC wing to have an entrance into MK similar to what the GCV have at DL? Maybe between AL and FL?

Not sure about the layout of things between GF and MK.
Probably not. The canal for the Electric Water Pagent would be your first barrier. Your second would be how horrifically unthemed that whole area is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom