New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

TP2000

Thank you, I had been worried about that. The Pizza Press has saved me from crummy and overpriced Disney theme park food too many times to count now.

I hope they find a new spot within a block or two of Harbor.

NobodyElse

There is actually probably not a lot of artistic license in this rendering.

Let me briefly clarify.

I have no reason to doubt that the rendering accurately depicts the shape and location of elements such as the security stations, support facility, pedestrian connector, and even the garage escalators. Things seem to be matching up with the "blueprint" from the first post. Even (most of) the vegetation around the security area matches.

The "artistic license" I'm referring to is nothing out the ordinary for architectural renderings. Things like the aforementioned woods in place of the parking lot, the obscuring of the actual bus turn-arounds, the cleaning-up of the surrounding hotels, and the blurring of things that aren't really within the scope of the project.

The actual bridge may indeed include the six raised pillars. (It looks like they may even be shown on the first post image, but my old eyes are having trouble discerning the details at that resolution. When a side elevation gets leaked, we'll know for sure.) Anyway, I don't believe the intent of this rendering was to show detail of the bridge any more than it was to highlight the HVAC units on the West Coast University building. It's just fun to speculate about things on the edges. :)

NobodyElse

...and on the subject of bridge speculation, they may be trying to incorporate (slightly modernized?) design elements such as these:

6th_Street_Bridge_1933.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

...and on the subject of bridge speculation, they may be trying to incorporate (slightly modernized?) design elements such as these:

6th_Street_Bridge_1933.jpg

Yep, I can see that.

FWIW, the Downtown Disney bridge that crosses Disneyland Drive has similar decorative elements.
Capture.PNG

D

Deleted member 107043

Anyone else remember when DLR was being planned to be laid out like this, with people movers, moving walkways, four hotels, a lagoon in the middle of Downtown Disney, a public amphitheater, and not two but THREE parking garages?

westcot07a.jpg

NobodyElse

I had a few more random, speculative thoughts around the Harbor Bridge, so I might as well drop them here.

First, let's assume that this entire path/bridge is what we commonly around here refer to as an overpass. Basically defined as getting over an existing road, starting and ending at the same grade as said road. These overpasses typically consist of an up-slope built upon something solid like dirt, attached to a suspended structure (bridge) followed by a corresponding down-slope. Typical examples are everywhere, especially over our freeways. What mostly varies is the length of the "bridge" area.

Here's a familiar example of mostly suspended section, with little solid base:
upload_2016-8-20_13-5-5.png

Here's an example of mostly solid fill , with minimal suspended section:
upload_2016-8-20_13-7-44.png

So, what's unclear to me right now is how much suspended bridge the new Harbor bridge will feature on either side of the actual Harbor Blvd. We can safely assume that the west side will extend at least beyond the tunnel road that connects Disneyland to DCA. The east side will need to clear the sidewalk, but it could go further (leaving room for a small retail presence - use your imagination).

With reports of the retention of pedestrian access via Harbor, I wonder if it might look something like this:
upload_2016-8-20_13-16-6.png

(Pardon the crude nature if this illustration.) Pink represents the existing crosswalk. Orange would be the new path. Blue would roughly be the new security area (though it could also be back near the bridge). This layout would help ensure that DCA could expand north. It is also highly dependent on how far that "bridge" section extends to the west, and if the proposed slope would still allow for proper clearance. (Now that I think about that, the issue could be mitigated by a slight dip in path elevation going under the bridge if necessary...)

Thoughts?

TP2000

Thoughts?

I think that you've drawn up a very likely strategy and plan for that area. Thank you!

If Harbor Blvd. remains accesible from the Esplanade, you've got to get all those folks (plus those arriving via bus from Toy Story at the new bus station at the bottom of that schematic) through Security screening. But you have to keep them separate from all the Eastern Gateway folks walking over the bridge who have already gone through screening.

It's for this reason why I just don't buy that all this new expansion land in the East Esplanade will become Downtown Disney East. You can't let the Harbor skybridge folks have access to a mall there because then you've lost your Security screening perimeter; you have to keep the skybridge access separate from any shopping mall accessible off of Harbor. So why would you build a mall next to a giant post-security walkway where tens of thousands of your customers pass by but are not allowed to enter?

And then any Harbor/Toy Story access has to go through screening before they get to the Esplanade ticket booth area. But why build a mall there where less than half your pedestrians and arriving customers have access to it?

Most of that expansion land must be going to DCA expansion that will be walled off as part of the theme park. The rest is going to need to be secured pathways leading to the theme park entrances. With maybe some vending carts or a small Starbucks plugged in along the widest and most used pathways; the secured skybridge from the Eastern Gateway complex.

Last edited:

NobodyElse

Disney could try to reconfigure Downtown Disney to be like CityWalk Orlando, inside the security perimeter.

Part of me wonders if they are considering that with their proposed revamping of DTD, but right now it makes my head hurt thinking about how they would accomplish that goal.

• How do you deal with the tram? Security prior to boarding?
  • It seems like Disney likes their hotel guests to have unfettered access to DTD. Do you then put security beyond the hotels?
  • Etc.
I'm just not sure what their priorities are.

D

Deleted member 107043

Part of me wonders if they are considering that with their proposed revamping of DTD, but right now it makes my head hurt thinking about how they would accomplish that goal.

I'm also rather curious about why they quarantine the Esplanade and not the entire pedestrian path through the Resort's retail zone and tram stops outside of the parks. So I can carry a leathal weapon anywhere in Downtown Disney, but not inside the Esplanade and into the parks? If the security perimeter for the new eastern portal extends all the way to the shuttle drop off I wonder why there wouldn't be a similar setup at the western edge of DTD and at the Mickey & Friends tram stop?

NobodyElse

I'm also rather curious about why they quarantine the Esplanade and not the entire pedestrian path through the Resort's retail zone and tram stops outside of the parks. So I can carry a leathal weapon anywhere in Downtown Disney, but not inside the Esplanade and into the parks? If the security perimeter for the new eastern portal extends all the way to the shuttle drop off I wonder why there wouldn't be a similar setup at the western edge of DTD and at the Mickey & Friends tram stop?

As I alluded earlier, I don't have the energy to go through all of the scenarios (at least today).

Remember, with the new hotel going in, I wouldn't be surprised it DTD extends north from Rainforest Cafe up to that hotel. That might change the security situation even further.

NobodyElse

And then any Harbor/Toy Story access has to go through screening before they get to the Esplanade ticket booth area.

This brings up some other thoughts/questions.

Today, what route do the buses from Toy Story lot take to get to and from the parks? (I've never parked there.)

The "blueprint" made a real effort to show a "Disney Shuttle Drop-Off" area running between DCA and Harbor. I wonder if that will be for courtesy ADA-type shuttles from the new transportation facility?

mickhyperion

With reports of the retention of pedestrian access via Harbor, I wonder if it might look something like this:
View attachment 156589
(Pardon the crude nature if this illustration.) Pink represents the existing crosswalk. Orange would be the new path. Blue would roughly be the new security area (though it could also be back near the bridge). This layout would help ensure that DCA could expand north. It is also highly dependent on how far that "bridge" section extends to the west, and if the proposed slope would still allow for proper clearance. (Now that I think about that, the issue could be mitigated by a slight dip in path elevation going under the bridge if necessary...)

Thoughts?

Another thing to consider, from the OC Register article (emphasis mine):
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-725945-harbor-bridge.html
There will not be a direct access to the pedestrian connector or bridge from Harbor. However, vistitors can use a pedestrian pathway at Harbor and Disney Way directly to the Eastern Gateway.

If correct, this would seem to indicate that the existing crosswalk on Harbor is being eliminated and visitors will cross further south at Disney Way.

BrianLo

Another thing to consider, from the OC Register article (emphasis mine):
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-725945-harbor-bridge.html

If correct, this would seem to indicate that the existing crosswalk on Harbor is being eliminated and visitors will cross further south at Disney Way.

I think that's just referring to the fact that if you want to enter the actual Eastern gateway itself you can always go down Harbor and all the way back around to get into it.

cpiy5g7uiaadnk2-jpg.155374

NobodyElse

I think that's just referring to the fact that if you want to enter the actual Eastern gateway itself you can always go down Harbor and all the way back around to get into it.

cpiy5g7uiaadnk2-jpg.155374

I concur. Paraphrase: "If you're staying at the Best Western but still want to experience the glory of the new path and bridge, you can walk south on harbor, then east under the power lines, then north up to the new security gateway, where the magic really begins."

Remember, that same OC Register Q&A said this as well: A. Guests staying in the hotels or motels on Harbor will be able to access the resort without going through the Eastern Gateway. The plans are still being developed but there will be another entrance with a security point for those entering on Harbor. This, combined with the fact that the new "Disney Cast Drop-Off" would not benefit from the removal of the existing traffic light leads me to believe that the current controlled crosswalk will remain. Right now, it seems to make the most sense to me.

NobodyElse

Who's ready for another bold prediction? I believe that this nicely-landscaped walkway could end up being one of the most under-utilized paths in the resort. :)

upload_2016-8-21_9-3-38.png

Hypothetically, let's assume there will be ped access to the parks via Harbor, somewhere between the two parks. Let's further assume (but as stated unlikely) that the main crosswalk (by IHOP) is eliminated. Then let's assume you're staying at any of the hotels From Camelot Inn down to Grand Legacy at the Park. If you're walking down to Disney Way, what on earth (aside from a tragic family history of crosswalk incidents) would persuade you to turn left, away from your destination rather then just crossing the street and being that much closer to the parks?

There would have to be flashing signs saying Disney is offering spectacular entertainment and free churro coupons to those crossing the Pedestrian Portal.

truecoat

Who's ready for another bold prediction? I believe that this nicely-landscaped walkway could end up being one of the most under-utilized paths in the resort. :)

View attachment 156732

Hypothetically, let's assume there will be ped access to the parks via Harbor, somewhere between the two parks. Let's further assume (but as stated unlikely) that the main crosswalk (by IHOP) is eliminated. Then let's assume you're staying at any of the hotels From Camelot Inn down to Grand Legacy at the Park. If you're walking down to Disney Way, what on earth (aside from a tragic family history of crosswalk incidents) would persuade you to turn left, away from your destination rather then just crossing the street and being that much closer to the parks?

There would have to be flashing signs saying Disney is offering spectacular entertainment and free churro coupons to those crossing the Pedestrian Portal.

I am guessing all signage will try to point people to this new entrance and many will go that way thinking the old way isn't available.

Phroobar

Why would Disney allow people to walk under the electric towers? What about the EMF radiation coming off those towers that people are getting exposed to? Could guests sue Disney and SCE for allowing them to walk under them and developing cancer. What if the towers fall on them during an earthquake?

upload_2016-8-21_9-3-38-png.156732

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom