New Disney Bus Paint Scheme

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I love Tokyo's way of transporting magic better.
images

3812692737_1cb61ca88f_z.jpg

Look at the brake lights! And not sure if that is a hitch or tail pipe.
If you have to stand, is this not a more magical than a strap?
PC052205.JPG

Have to love the windows
TokyoDL.jpg
PC052204.JPG

Now this is Disney!
hitstdpic.jpg

DSC00796.jpg

I look at the new buses Disney World launched and I just see Disney Parks Generic, not creativity or magical.

nace888

These are all nice! But it'd be hard to impliment any of these at WDW. While it'd be nice, that'd cost so much... While the new WDW Bus design may be Generic, it's still classy and modern. You have to remember, Tokyo goes over the top with everything they do, :D

awoogala

I don't disagree, I would love to see a total transport overhaul.

still waiting for peoplemovers everywhere! ;)
I like the new colors, but I would love Walt Disney World on it as well. The park was renamed by Roy after Walt died, to be sure people always remembered whose dream it was. The fact that they are phasing it out points to a disturbing trend.

awoogala

images

3812692737_1cb61ca88f_z.jpg

PC052205.JPG

Have to love the windows
TokyoDL.jpg
PC052204.JPG

Now this is Disney!
hitstdpic.jpg

DSC00796.jpg

I look at the new buses Disney World launched and I just see Disney Parks Generic, not creativity or magical.

Holy cow! Awesome. Now I think our buses stink. :(

MarkTwain

Have to love the windows

Now this is Disney!

I'm not sure I can say this is better... in fact, I may even prefer the buses we're getting. Simply stamping Mickey Mouse on everything does not equate to being more "Disney;" that would be akin to saying that a giant Mickey Mouse-shaped (but otherwise unremarkable) hotel would be more "Disney" than the Wilderness Lodge. Disney design can be in a very wide variety of styles provided the execution is done well enough, and their design often seems strongest in styles that are historic or old-fashioned - which as many have pointed out, the new buses are.

I will say Tokyo's buses do seem particularly suited for the Tokyo audience, where kawaii is king and guests in general (not to stereotype) seem to have an affinity for characters and the cuter side of Disney. But I would expect an American audience to be tailored differently.

NutsForFlorida

The Tokyo transportation would make me feel like I'm on Disney transportation and heading to a park. The Disney transportation in Florida feels like you're just on a city bus. You don't have that feeling or excitement going to a park. I wonder why they can't take these city buses and change some features on them to be similar to the Tokyo ones. I wouldn't say exactly the same. But some of the features like the windows, brake lights and inside of the buses. I think people, especially kids, would love to be on a bus that resembles Disney.

Gabe1

I'm not sure I can say this is better... in fact, I may even prefer the buses we're getting. Simply stamping Mickey Mouse on everything does not equate to being more "Disney;" that would be akin to saying that a giant Mickey Mouse-shaped (but otherwise unremarkable) hotel would be more "Disney" than the Wilderness Lodge. Disney design can be in a very wide variety of styles provided the execution is done well enough, and their design often seems strongest in styles that are historic or old-fashioned - which as many have pointed out, the new buses are.

I will say Tokyo's buses do seem particularly suited for the Tokyo audience, where kawaii is king and guests in general (not to stereotype) seem to have an affinity for characters and the cuter side of Disney. But I would expect an American audience to be tailored differently.

Some do like the Generic Disney Parks era. I am not a fan.

Do you really equate all the custom Micky designs on these transportation types to be a stamp. It costs a great deal to create a die and molds just to create a tail light. They don't stamp them on. More the slap on is spray painting a bus and slapping Disney Transportation on it and calling themed is underwhelming imagineering.
Our School Buses are spray painted and then School Bus slapped on it. Same imagineering.

The Tokyo transportation would make me feel like I'm on Disney transportation and heading to a park. The Disney transportation in Florida feels like you're just on a city bus. You don't have that feeling or excitement going to a park. I wonder why they can't take these city buses and change some features on them to be similar to the Tokyo ones. I wouldn't say exactly the same. But some of the features like the windows, brake lights and inside of the buses. I think people, especially kids, would love to be on a bus that resembles Disney.

It is that Generic cheap imagineering they are leaning toward this decade. One size fits all. And yes, it doesn't look any different than a city bus.

lazyboy97o

Some do like the Generic Disney Parks era. I am not a fan.

Do you really equate all the custom Micky designs on these transportation types to be a stamp. It costs a great deal to create a die and molds just to create a tail light. They don't stamp them on. More the slap on is spray painting a bus and slapping Disney Transportation on it and calling themed is underwhelming imagineering.
Our School Buses are spray painted and then School Bus slapped on it. Same imagineering.
The physical process of fabrication may be more involved, but just using a Mickey Mouse motif to make something "Disney" is not exactly an exercise in great creativity.

Gabe1

The physical process of fabrication may be more involved, but just using a Mickey Mouse motif to make something "Disney" is not exactly an exercise in great creativity.

Wow! That is a bold statement I cannot get behind. Interesting, MIckey Mouse isn't Disney motif? Huh. Spray painting a bus and slapping Disney Transportation isn't a motif, it is bland and demonstrates a total lack of creativity. An intern could be more creative.
PC052204.JPG

images

Thinking the Disney hand straps are more creative in Tokyo than WDW. Windows too.

spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
8284453099_3395d4dacc_z.jpg

I like this one too, I just don't choose to believe Mickey has gone out of favor.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wow! That is a bold statement I cannot get behind. Interesting, MIckey Mouse isn't Disney motif? Huh.

He's basically saying it's the 'obvious' non-creative path.

Mickey shapes used to be subtle.. even 'hidden'. Just plastering it everywhere as the excuse for theming it is just the simple choice. Unlikely to be the cheapest either.. but creatively bankrupt.

Been there.. done that.. and you probably got the photos to prove it.

Tom

Beta Return

But it's detail, and total immersion.

Those of us who fondly remember the Disney of the old days might appreciate buses that showed at least one ounce of "care" when detailing them.

Based on what you said, you could also argue that all of the hidden Mickeys are a waste of money and show lack of creativity. Many of them aren't quite so "hidden", but subtly remind you that you're at Disney World, and not in Orlando.

Mouse-shaped tail lights are a detail that cost them a small chunk of change that they didn't have to spend - but they did, because they CARED.

What's sad is that the Magical Express and Disney Cruise Line buses (both owned and operated by Mears) are more "magical" than Disney's own transport buses. Sure, they're still regular 'ol charter buses, but the exterior detailing is extremely detailed.

The Magical Express buses have a sleek retro look (hmmm, something everyone seems to hate on the Transport buses, but has never had a problem with on DME), and the DCL buses have porthole windows along with a color scheme reminiscent of ocean liners. 'Tis a shame that the third party contractor has more "magical" looking buses than the Mouse himself.

Details are what sets (well, set - past tense) Disney apart. Lots of things they don't HAVE to do, and don't necessarily add any fiscal value, but they add uniqueness and actual evidence of caring.

Gabe1

He's basically saying it's the 'obvious' non-creative path.

Mickey shapes used to be subtle.. even 'hidden'. Just plastering it everywhere as the excuse for theming it is just the simple choice. Unlikely to be the cheapest either.. but creatively bankrupt.

Been there.. done that.. and you probably got the photos to prove it.

I fail to see anything on this bus that isn't hot off the assembly line for any Urban setting it screams generic. This is not a creative path, this is a perfect example of imagineers being creatively bankrupt and shows what little imagination the current imagineers have left in them. Mickey isn't a simple choice to Disney, it is the cornerstone of their marketing. Guests hunt for Mickey to have a picture and hunt for hidden Mickey's and march around with Mickey's ears atop their heads.
images

Mickey or his likeness has never been subtle where Disney is concerned.
Disney sell 2.5 million Mickey Ears every year at WDW alone. There is nothing subtle about that. Go back in time to the Mickey Forbes listed Mickey Mouse as the most marketable character in 2005, $5.8 Billion for Mickey, farther back 24,000 sets of Mickey ears were sold per day during Mickey Mouse Club era. Children 3-11 years old children everywhere have a 98% awareness of Mickey. Mickey has been the number one watch of all time sold since 1933. Disney even put the Mouse on their own currency.

Disney has always Marketed The Mouse in every way possible past and present.
dm6331.jpg

images
images
com03711.gif
vmd142010LARGE.jpg
Mickeys-Country-House-400g.jpg
images
3816271347_1fda4b3c31_z.jpg

359100b0.jpg
images
com03570.jpg

1970's

Throughout Disney Parks history it is all about the Mouse, still is. Been there done that
doesn't seem to be shared by the majority by buying habits or by Disney's marketing. The themeless buses are just Disney cutting the budget corners which they are getting quite good at, nothing more, nothing less.

The Empress Lilly

Meh, I don't care much for the design of the Tokyo buses.

What's sad is that the Magical Express and Disney Cruise Line buses (both owned and operated by Mears) are more "magical" than Disney's own transport buses. Sure, they're still regular 'ol charter buses, but the exterior detailing is extremely detailed.
The retro-trolley themed I-Ride Trolleys on Int. Drive are also much better themed than WDW buses. More reliable too!

I-Drive-Trolley.jpg

o6a.jpg

The Empress Lilly

The sleek futuristic monorails don't have Mickey on them. They are still Disney.

The retro padlewheel Ferryboats don't have Mickeys stamped on them. They are still Disney.

The PeopleMover is not Mickey-themed. It is still Disney.
The Walt Disney World Railroad does not have anything Mickey Mouse, yet perhaps nothing in WDW is more Walt Disney.

lazyboy97o

But it's detail, and total immersion.

[...]

Based on what you said, you could also argue that all of the hidden Mickeys are a waste of money and show lack of creativity. Many of them aren't quite so "hidden", but subtly remind you that you're at Disney World, and not in Orlando.
They are not details, they are decoration. They are immersion only in terms of a cacophony of self-reference. The goal is not to create a different world or experience, but merely to remind one of being in a place branded "Disney."

I really do not like Hidden Mickeys. They have gone from something beyond tertiary to something more primary. You know what would make one believe they've left Orlando, fully realized, immersive environments not cluttered up with constant reminders of their fakeness by the anachronistic incorporation of Disney marketing icons.

I fail to see anything on this bus that isn't hot off the assembly line for any Urban setting it screams generic.
You wrongly assume it must be one or the other.

The Empress Lilly

They are not details, they are decoration. They are immersion only in terms of a cacophony of self-reference. The goal is not to create a different world or experience, but merely to remind one of being in a place branded "Disney."

I really do not like Hidden Mickeys. They have gone from something beyond tertiary to something more primary. You know what would make one believe they've left Orlando, fully realized, immersive environments not cluttered up with constant reminders of their fakeness by the anachronistic incorporation of Disney marketing icons.
Awesomely said!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom