New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jennab55

With switch back lines it can be very difficult, if not impossible, for people to get out of line quickly if necessary. Nothing to do with a wheelchair vs ECV. If you need to carry a 10 year old child out of a line, saying “excuse me” 50 times isn’t going to help much. Ditto for a wheelchair. The only option is to find a CM and get them to open up a route back.
Good point! If it is impotent to me to be able to leave a line quickly and I know that Disney has long lines and I am choosing to go, then I would buy LL.

Angel Ariel

Sadly people still post it. I try to report to admins when I see it and sometimes they get deleted. One group I’m in is paused for a month. Likely why…
Yeah, one of mine is paused too - might be the same group, it's huge. I hadn't seen any scripting being posted, but I don't read it all.

I'm not surprised it's out there, I just won't join in it.

Spaceman Biff

One thing that maybe has been mentioned before and if so I apologize in advance for re-stating it as I have not read all 540 pages.

The factor with those with autism and other developmental issues, is the inability to tell time, or understand the passing of time. With my son, I can tell him the line is going to be 20 minutes and that means nothing to him.

One of the issues I have seen complaints about, is that people think it is unfair that while you wait you can just get in another line and wait and thus get two rides for one. While I can't speak for anyone else all I can say is that for us unless the other ride is a walk on we wouldn't go in another ride. I would intentionally sign up for a ride in another part of the park so that our wait would be spent walking there waiting for our return time to be ready or going to get food or go into the stores. There have been times when we got in line with our DAS for Pirates or other rides and we couldn't even make it to the ride before he was overwhelmed and we had to leave. I didn't have expectation at that point that we should be allowed back in once we were able to help him regulate, I just signed up for our next DAS return time.

One area where having DAS was of zero benefit, is with the virtual queue. Even if we qualified for the virtual queue we were always held to the same time constraint for our return time as anyone else. The difference being if our time came up and it was a bad moment for him we didn't get to ride.

Lastly, I believe I saw a point that someone made, and maybe it was on a different site so I apologize if it doesn't apply here. With Autism, some times they do get fixated on a ride or a couple of rides. It was stated that this isn't fair as the average guest can't do this. But that isn't the case. If you want to ride space mountain you can over and over. With DAS your next pass is not valid until the your wait time is up and the second check point before you can book your next one is right before the boarding area, thus giving you a 5-8 minute advantage. But in reality the wait times are often overstated by 5-10 minutes at least in space so that "benefit" is negated.

jennab55

One area where having DAS was of zero benefit, is with the virtual queue. Even if we qualified for the virtual queue we were always held to the same time constraint for our return time as anyone else. The difference being if our time came up and it was a bad moment for him we didn't get to ride.
We did not have this issue. We arrived after our time for guardians and they didn’t care. Just explained we had DAS and they converted it and let us through the LL.

jennab55

The factor with those with autism and other developmental issues, is the inability to tell time, or understand the passing of time. With my son, I can tell him the line is going to be 20 minutes and that means nothing to him.
Yes I’ve said similar before! Now my son thinks he understands a 30min line and will say he can wait, but reality is not that.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
DAS helps with VQs. There’s a VQ line and the paid LL line which they do always try to keep that ILL wait shorter than complimentary VQ line, and DAS could use the LL queue.

Splash4eva

DAS helps with VQs. There’s a VQ line and the paid LL line which they do always try to keep that ILL wait shorter than complimentary VQ line, and DAS could use the LL queue.
Yea this is correct but also something not publicized. I recall when Tron opened i was able to get a VQ for me and mydaughter. Went on line about 15-20 minutes into the wait i had to leave. (Had no idea there was aline as well)?Felt awful for my daughter CM asked me is all was ok. I explained to him i have DAS but cant wait on line any longer so gonna skip the ride. He was like no sir walk down there and they will scan and make sure you have DAS and give you a time asap to board.

Kingoglow

And this goes back to the catch 22. If those who qualify share answers like this, it leads to scripts for others to cheat. If they don't, then there's implications that it's not really a need. There's no good way to address this when trying to not provide scripts.
I don't believe there is any implication or judgement in not sharing the details of a private phone call. People need to realize there is no advice that can be given other than to make the call themselves.

As has been stated many times in this thread, situations and needs are mostly unique. Asking a bunch of strangers how to answer a question that pertains to ones family needs is not going to help in any way.

DisneyHead123

I think Disney goes above and beyond in a lot of areas that we don’t even think about. I’ve read their staff have better training with service dogs than a lot of places, for example. I’m sure there are lots of other examples. I do think that sometimes smaller parks are able to offer more than Disney in some areas, as Disney is such a big park. I’ve heard Hershey’s equivalent of DAS is much easier to access, for example, but I doubt they have the demand for it that Disney does. And Disney isn’t able to offer things like sensory friendly days given the crowd sizes they have. So I think there is likely a bit of a trade off with size - they have more resources in many areas, but in some size will be prohibitive.

Chi84

Premium Member
Are they anymore?!? Listen i get what you are saying but lets face it. This is No longer the same Disney most of us grew up loving…

I be hard pressed to say people who grew up on this current version would have the same love and nostalgia as some of us older folk do.
They're still better for my family, but I don't speak for anyone else. I agree with what you're saying about the decline though. It's why we avoided adding to our DVC contract all these years.

Angel Ariel

Are they anymore?!? Listen i get what you are saying but lets face it. This is No longer the same Disney most of us grew up loving…

I be hard pressed to say people who grew up on this current version would have the same love and nostalgia as some of us older folk do.
I feel the decline too, so this isn't pixie dust speaking - but yes, after having gone to Universal Hollywood last year, Disney is still better. Super Mario Land was disappointing, to say the least. Beautiful theming, but the ride wasn't accessible for DD - and while DH and I both love and grew up on Mario, we didn't love the ride either.

There's some smaller family oriented theme parks we've been to that have an easier/better DAS system, and are fun for what they are, but Disney is by far still the leader in the wide variety of thrills DD can experience in a way that's safe for her.

thegoatfeeder

New member to the forums, so I do apologise if this has been queried before but I am currently feeling a lot of anxiety and stress over my upcoming trip.

A little bit of background, we are an adult couple from the UK who are both AP holders and DVC members. I have both a mobility disability due to a road traffic accident when I was a child (I use an ECV at Disney), bladder and bowel conditions and suffer from high levels of anxiety generally, but much higher levels of anxiety around access to bathrooms due to urgency.

We generally travel as a couple, and in the past have always used the DAS system to access attractions. As I understand it, I will no longer be granted that priviledge, and I do not particularly want to get into whether I should or not, I am more concerned about what options will be available to me.

Firstly, I understand that I will be able to leave a line to use a bathroom, however, as I use an ECV I think it would be extrordinarily difficult for me to do this, just the thought of turning around and navigating against a flow of people triggers my anxiety. On top of that, when I have to go, I don't really have a much amount of time to get there, this isn't a problem in a 20 minute lightning lane, but in a 60 minute regular line it could be horrendous, and if a line is more than 40 minutes, I will pretty much have to leave it (at least) once.

The 2nd provision as I understand, is that my partner could do the line and I could wait outside the line for her to reach the front, at which point I could use the LL. The issue here is that I sometimes require assistance accessing the bathroom, this would not be possible if she were in the line.

Long story short, I am basically feeling really negative and down about our December trip for the above reasons, I kind of feel like I am being pushed into paying for Genie plus ( I realise it now has a new name, but off the top of my head I can't recall what it is!).

Is there any provisions Disney has offered anyone that I may not be aware of that might be of assistance? Because the 2 outlined above are not going to help me at all.

Sorry for the long post!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom