New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Angel Ariel

The inability of validly disabled guests seeking the DAS to answer this really simple question is most likely why so many are being denied.

If a guest can't explain why a line causes their issue, there is no reason for Disney to provide a line-skipping accommodation.
And this goes back to the catch 22. If those who qualify share answers like this, it leads to scripts for others to cheat. If they don't, then there's implications that it's not really a need. There's no good way to address this when trying to not provide scripts.

jennab55

ADA compliance doesn't always equal accessibility. The queues are built for intent to always be moving forward, they aren't designed to be handling people moving backwards against the flow. I doubt the ADA delineates a difference - but there is definitely a difference in the accessibility.

Now that Disney is saying part of the accommodations is to be able to exit the line when you can't stay in it anymore, that does raise questions for me about whether they need to ensure accessibility going both directions.
But is there an issue exiting the line currently? I’ve only seen reports from people in ECVs, which they were able to eventually get out with the help of others. I gave an option of using wheelchairs instead of ECV in line. Although that could be problematic for a single person who can’t maneuver themselves in one. So there could still be problems, but maybe less of them.

NotTheOne

I’ve used the DAS pass twice I have metastatic lung cancer and a intercranial carotid artery aneurysm. I take medication, which makes it difficult for me to stand in line for long periods of time. i am grateful I dont have to add a mental disability such as Autism to the list I never felt I was “taking advantage of the system”
I know a lot of people on the Spectrum who wouldn't have a problem waiting but now they can get the pass SMH
If Disney was granting you the DAS based on your disabilities, then of course you weren't taking advantage of the system as it was at that time. But it's not unreasonable, IMO, to tell people that can't stand in line to use a mobility aid to assist them rather than granting a DAS.

NotTheOne

And this goes back to the catch 22. If those who qualify share answers like this, it leads to scripts for others to cheat. If they don't, then there's implications that it's not really a need. There's no good way to address this when trying to not provide scripts.
I'm talking about the people who have been denied - in the accounts I've read, they've been very open about what they said, and then complained that they were denied.

jennab55

If Disney was granting you the DAS based on your disabilities, then of course you weren't taking advantage of the system as it was at that time. But it's not unreasonable, IMO, to tell people that can't stand in line to use a mobility aid to assist them rather than granting a DAS.
I think this is a really good point that people forget stand vs wait. There is a big difference.

Angel Ariel

No they can’t. Having autism is not a guaranteed approval. Obviously some people with developmental disabilities can wait in a line without issue, so they shouldn’t be approved. It’s about having a developmental disability AND need.
They aren't asking for diagnosis, though, so it's really just about the need and whether that need is caused by the line.

nickys

Premium Member
I wouldn't assume it is for people who genuinely have those issues, as Disney has been pretty clear that it's not. That doesn't mean people can't apply, and some might be approved, but it seems they are a distinct minority.
I agree, I wasn’t meaning they would necessarily be granted DAS. Just that someone who really does have issues like that would be able to explain quite easily what their problem are waiting in line.

DisneyHead123

Looking at comments from those who are approved v. those who aren't, it's pretty clear that the vast majority of those who are approved have issues that are caused by being in line rather than issues that might happen in line.

And to me, that's a perfectly valid reason for disapproval. If a disability related issue can happen anywhere in the park, why give out a skip the line accommodation?

Secondarily, is there any evidence that Disney is selling more passes to the LL than they did before they changed DAS?

I haven’t necessarily seen that. For example, elderly park goers who need to walk frequently or else they pretty much know they’ll be in pain have been denied. People who know they need the restroom every 20 minutes while many lines are 90 minutes have been denied. While autistic children who may or may not have a meltdown in line are approved. (I mean I’m glad they’re approved, just saying, I don’t agree with the criteria you laid out.)

That aside, the people we’re hearing from are a tiny handful on message boards and Facebook, so we can’t assume they’re a representative sample either way. In the end we just don’t have access to that data.

NotTheOne

I haven’t necessarily seen that. For example, elderly park goers who need to walk frequently or else they pretty much know they’ll be in pain have been denied. People who know they need the restroom every 20 minutes while many lines are 90 minutes have been denied. While autistic children who may or may not have a meltdown in line are approved. (I mean I’m glad they’re approved, just saying, I don’t agree with the criteria you laid out.)

That aside, the people we’re hearing from are a tiny handful on message boards and Facebook, so we can’t assume they’re a representative sample either way. In the end we just don’t have access to that data.
Fair enough on it not be a truly representative sample.

As to your previous points, we'll just have to agree to disagree - the issues of the elderly who need to walk and the people who need to use the bathroom every 20 minutes aren't caused by the line itself, so other accommodations are available.

nickys

Premium Member
But is there an issue exiting the line currently? I’ve only seen reports from people in ECVs, which they were able to eventually get out with the help of others. I gave an option of using wheelchairs instead of ECV in line. Although that could be problematic for a single person who can’t maneuver themselves in one. So there could still be problems, but maybe less of them.
With switch back lines it can be very difficult, if not impossible, for people to get out of line quickly if necessary. Nothing to do with a wheelchair vs ECV. If you need to carry a 10 year old child out of a line, saying “excuse me” 50 times isn’t going to help much. Ditto for a wheelchair. The only option is to find a CM and get them to open up a route back.

Splash4eva

I said they could offer it more. I don’t know how many people realize this is an issue, or if it is an option at most rides. I don’t use an ECV so honestly am not sure. I’m guessing most people would prefer to use their ECV in line anyway, but Disney could put something on the website of it being an option that they have wheelchairs available in liked for those who may need to exit the line.

I just dont think Disney should be required to do construction on their lines again when they are already ADA compliant. I honestly don’t think there’s that big of an issue with people leaving the line as you think there is. The only people I’ve heard having issues are people in ECVs. Have you heard otherwise?
I posted awhile back. I was there fathers day weekend where my trip was under old rules but others were not and at HS 1 night i was at GS and yes there was a ton of confusion. I know some people who were there in July as well and saw some same confusion as CM had basically a clueless attitude but also know some people who were there in August who said they were happy w what was offered after years of DAS no longer issued. So i have heard 1st hand accounts that go both ways. 1 thing i haven't heard tho from anyone i know that have been denied crying and moaning and threatening lawsuits over this change. They have all gone on their trips and made the best of it…

Splash4eva

The scripts are out there already…

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
WDW’s business model from day one has been built around how quickly guests can get through queues. The MK hub is lovely and helps separates the lands. More is going on there than just that. Take AK - Pandora and Dinoland are right at the front of the park. As the crow flies it’s under 2 minutes to walk to them from the front tapstyles. We need to take a circuitous route though, about 5 times as long. I’m bringing up just one aspect of many that illustrate how a business like WDW was engineered to limit and redirect guests away from just pounding major attractions all day. I think most people can see why that is necessary. If the average ride is 6 minutes long what prevents guests from being unable to do 30 or 50 or 100 attractions a day? The queues, pre-shows, spread out logistics, need to eat and bathroom break, endurance, etc. That is part of the business model. DAS bypasses a great deal of that. Controlling impacts on the business model is Disney’s responsibility to shareholders and all paying customers. Even if WDW added 50% more attraction capacity, it would still be unsustainable if a large ratio of guests were able to circumvent the business model.

imho is why I think they are leaning towards accommodations that are not all DAS.

jennab55

With switch back lines it can be very difficult, if not impossible, for people to get out of line quickly if necessary. Nothing to do with a wheelchair vs ECV. If you need to carry a 10 year old child out of a line, saying “excuse me” 50 times isn’t going to help much. Ditto for a wheelchair. The only option is to find a CM and get them to open up a route back.
Good point! If it is impotent to me to be able to leave a line quickly and I know that Disney has long lines and I am choosing to go, then I would buy LL.

Angel Ariel

Sadly people still post it. I try to report to admins when I see it and sometimes they get deleted. One group I’m in is paused for a month. Likely why…
Yeah, one of mine is paused too - might be the same group, it's huge. I hadn't seen any scripting being posted, but I don't read it all.

I'm not surprised it's out there, I just won't join in it.

Spaceman Biff

One thing that maybe has been mentioned before and if so I apologize in advance for re-stating it as I have not read all 540 pages.

The factor with those with autism and other developmental issues, is the inability to tell time, or understand the passing of time. With my son, I can tell him the line is going to be 20 minutes and that means nothing to him.

One of the issues I have seen complaints about, is that people think it is unfair that while you wait you can just get in another line and wait and thus get two rides for one. While I can't speak for anyone else all I can say is that for us unless the other ride is a walk on we wouldn't go in another ride. I would intentionally sign up for a ride in another part of the park so that our wait would be spent walking there waiting for our return time to be ready or going to get food or go into the stores. There have been times when we got in line with our DAS for Pirates or other rides and we couldn't even make it to the ride before he was overwhelmed and we had to leave. I didn't have expectation at that point that we should be allowed back in once we were able to help him regulate, I just signed up for our next DAS return time.

One area where having DAS was of zero benefit, is with the virtual queue. Even if we qualified for the virtual queue we were always held to the same time constraint for our return time as anyone else. The difference being if our time came up and it was a bad moment for him we didn't get to ride.

Lastly, I believe I saw a point that someone made, and maybe it was on a different site so I apologize if it doesn't apply here. With Autism, some times they do get fixated on a ride or a couple of rides. It was stated that this isn't fair as the average guest can't do this. But that isn't the case. If you want to ride space mountain you can over and over. With DAS your next pass is not valid until the your wait time is up and the second check point before you can book your next one is right before the boarding area, thus giving you a 5-8 minute advantage. But in reality the wait times are often overstated by 5-10 minutes at least in space so that "benefit" is negated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom