New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Splash4eva

I feel the decline too, so this isn't pixie dust speaking - but yes, after having gone to Universal Hollywood last year, Disney is still better. Super Mario Land was disappointing, to say the least. Beautiful theming, but the ride wasn't accessible for DD - and while DH and I both love and grew up on Mario, we didn't love the ride either.

There's some smaller family oriented theme parks we've been to that have an easier/better DAS system, and are fun for what they are, but Disney is by far still the leader in the wide variety of thrills DD can experience in a way that's safe for her.
And i have a family friend who took their 2 sons there on their Cali vacation & they absolutely loved it and the boys liked it better than their day at MK in Florida. Again doesnt mean anything but for every case like yours i can find a counter case

Splash4eva

New member to the forums, so I do apologise if this has been queried before but I am currently feeling a lot of anxiety and stress over my upcoming trip.

A little bit of background, we are an adult couple from the UK who are both AP holders and DVC members. I have both a mobility disability due to a road traffic accident when I was a child (I use an ECV at Disney), bladder and bowel conditions and suffer from high levels of anxiety generally, but much higher levels of anxiety around access to bathrooms due to urgency.

We generally travel as a couple, and in the past have always used the DAS system to access attractions. As I understand it, I will no longer be granted that priviledge, and I do not particularly want to get into whether I should or not, I am more concerned about what options will be available to me.

Firstly, I understand that I will be able to leave a line to use a bathroom, however, as I use an ECV I think it would be extrordinarily difficult for me to do this, just the thought of turning around and navigating against a flow of people triggers my anxiety. On top of that, when I have to go, I don't really have a much amount of time to get there, this isn't a problem in a 20 minute lightning lane, but in a 60 minute regular line it could be horrendous, and if a line is more than 40 minutes, I will pretty much have to leave it (at least) once.

The 2nd provision as I understand, is that my partner could do the line and I could wait outside the line for her to reach the front, at which point I could use the LL. The issue here is that I sometimes require assistance accessing the bathroom, this would not be possible if she were in the line.

Long story short, I am basically feeling really negative and down about our December trip for the above reasons, I kind of feel like I am being pushed into paying for Genie plus ( I realise it now has a new name, but off the top of my head I can't recall what it is!).

Is there any provisions Disney has offered anyone that I may not be aware of that might be of assistance? Because the 2 outlined above are not going to help me at all.

Sorry for the long post!
If Genie is your best option to make your vacation much more enjoyable not to mention more feasible & possible why not just purchase it ? Im not saying its fair so to say but unfortunately Disney & other companies have forced us to pay for things we dont want to or pay higher prices. Based on your post purchasing this puts a tonof your concerns at ease. Yes obviously money but to me a small price to pay. DVC. UK. So on & so forth. To me its an easy decision to make.

jennab55

New member to the forums, so I do apologise if this has been queried before but I am currently feeling a lot of anxiety and stress over my upcoming trip.

A little bit of background, we are an adult couple from the UK who are both AP holders and DVC members. I have both a mobility disability due to a road traffic accident when I was a child (I use an ECV at Disney), bladder and bowel conditions and suffer from high levels of anxiety generally, but much higher levels of anxiety around access to bathrooms due to urgency.

We generally travel as a couple, and in the past have always used the DAS system to access attractions. As I understand it, I will no longer be granted that priviledge, and I do not particularly want to get into whether I should or not, I am more concerned about what options will be available to me.

Firstly, I understand that I will be able to leave a line to use a bathroom, however, as I use an ECV I think it would be extrordinarily difficult for me to do this, just the thought of turning around and navigating against a flow of people triggers my anxiety. On top of that, when I have to go, I don't really have a much amount of time to get there, this isn't a problem in a 20 minute lightning lane, but in a 60 minute regular line it could be horrendous, and if a line is more than 40 minutes, I will pretty much have to leave it (at least) once.

The 2nd provision as I understand, is that my partner could do the line and I could wait outside the line for her to reach the front, at which point I could use the LL. The issue here is that I sometimes require assistance accessing the bathroom, this would not be possible if she were in the line.

Long story short, I am basically feeling really negative and down about our December trip for the above reasons, I kind of feel like I am being pushed into paying for Genie plus ( I realise it now has a new name, but off the top of my head I can't recall what it is!).

Is there any provisions Disney has offered anyone that I may not be aware of that might be of assistance? Because the 2 outlined above are not going to help me at all.

Sorry for the long post!
You can talk to the CM before entering the ride queue. Let them know you may need to leave the line due to your disability and your partner would need to leave to assist as well. Ask what options there are. They may ask you to wait and leave if you have to then return to the LL after, or they may give you a return time (I hear this is not as often though). It really depends on the ride and other factors.
If it were me I’d purchase LLMP (old G+) just to help ease my anxiety and be able to use the LL more often.

Chi84

Premium Member

Sorry for the long post!
Disney decided a few years ago to take away free FP+ and start charging everyone for access to it's now Lightning Lanes. Non-disabled guests have had a couple of years to get used to the idea that WDW is going to be more expensive if you want to avoid standing in long lines.

Disabled guests were not impacted until recently, when Disney decided to greatly reduce access to the DAS program, so they are just now experiencing the impact of a paid system. It seems you have a good idea of the in-line accommodations offered and whether or not they will work for you. They are designed to accommodate you but not without some level of discomfort or difficulty, which will differ based on circumstances.

I agree with the posters who are suggesting buying LLMP/LLSP. The sad fact is that Disney has made WDW more expensive for everyone, disabled and non-disabled, these days. It probably won't change anytime soon, so your options are currently limited.

thegoatfeeder

Disney decided a few years ago to take away free FP+ and start charging everyone for access to it's now Lightning Lanes. Non-disabled guests have had a couple of years to get used to the idea that WDW is going to be more expensive if you want to avoid standing in long lines.

Disabled guests were not impacted until recently, when Disney decided to greatly reduce access to the DAS program, so they are just now experiencing the impact of a paid system. It seems you have a good idea of the in-line accommodations offered and whether or not they will work for you. They are designed to accommodate you but not without some level of discomfort or difficulty, which will differ based on circumstances.

I agree with the posters who are suggesting buying LLMP/LLSP. The sad fact is that Disney has made WDW more expensive for everyone, disabled and non-disabled, these days. It probably won't change anytime soon, so your options are currently limited.
I hear you! Going to be an expensive 14 days, well even more expensive I guess!

CampbellzSoup

Sorry for the long post!
Have your partner wait in the line and then you can join them at the lightning lane point when they make it there and you can go to the bathroom in the interim.

Splash4eva

The poster already said this wouldn't work, as they sometimes need their partner's assistance in the restroom.
Im not questioning the poster at all or anyone else who says it cant work or they need assistance etc. im just curious if one needs assistance how does someone go to a bathroom on a plane. It can barely hold one person let alone another… again not being someone with no compassion but just wondering. Like i get older people etc but most times they cant even travel and enjoy. I watched my grandparents suffer the same fate but they also were in no position to travel let alone to a theme park

Ayla

Im not questioning the poster at all or anyone else who says it cant work or they need assistance etc. im just curious if one needs assistance how does someone go to a bathroom on a plane. It can barely hold one person let alone another… again not being someone with no compassion but just wondering. Like i get older people etc but most times they cant even travel and enjoy. I watched my grandparents suffer the same fate but they also were in no position to travel let alone to a theme park
Considering they are coming from the UK (where they obviously don't have the option of driving), this is an extremely valid point.

RememberWhen

Considering they are coming from the UK (where they obviously don't have the option of driving), this is an extremely valid point.
I’m not the OP, but airplanes are notoriously inaccessible for many disabled people. Despite it having negative health affects, many people will deliberately dehydrate themselves so they won’t need the bathroom on a long flight.

jennab55

I’m not the OP, but airplanes are notoriously inaccessible for many disabled people. Despite it having negative health affects, many people will deliberately dehydrate themselves so they won’t need the bathroom on a long flight.
Yep, this is my husband. He won’t eat anything on travel days until we get to our destination. He will drink water or ginger ale, but sparingly.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I hear you! Going to be an expensive 14 days, well even more expensive I guess!

We have some issues in our party -not quite to the level of us needing to request DAS- but where long lines may interfere. My sister is joining and can get overanxious in the wait leading up to a ride, so as a party we may pivot away from a ride like ToT or Slinky Dog when the line’s too long. We want to encourage her. She has fun on the actual ride and wants to do them. The challenge is riding before she has too much time to dwell on the thrill aspects.

Buying LL-multipass (I don’t know what to call the new one either lol) probably won’t smooth all out. Hopefully it helps us though. It is an added expense but my plan is to just get it a couple days where it’ll make the most difference. I don’t think it’s necessary to buy everyday.

Days we don’t have it we’ll do the easier rides and shows, and take advantage of any low wait opportunities (rope-drop, parks close, EEH, etc). We stuck the 2 LLm days mid-trip with plans to hop. Maybe that helps us accomplish a few of the harder rides with less difficulty.

Goodluck and have a great trip. It’s hard for any of us to say whether or not DAS will be granted in your case. It is possible so I think worth the try. But if it doesn’t happen I wanted to let you know it’s probably not necessary to buy all the LLs for all 14 days of your trip. A popular strategy is getting ILL for FoP at AK one day, mLL for a day each at MK and HS, and only buy ILL for Cosmic Rewind at EP if you don’t have more than one day to try for VQ. A step up from that would be picking an ILL for one day at each park, and mLL for a different day each park. The first strategy is under $100 per person over the trip, the second is closer to $200pp over the trip. We’re going with the first strategy and I don’t love the idea of spending the extra $400 but hoping it’ll increase the total value of our trip more than if we spent that money at Chef Mickey’s or Savi’s Workshop.

Splash4eva

Again tho if someone has issues how do those issues go away by doing what you are saying for an 8 hour stretch. My ex has IBS and it didnt matter at all what she did/did not eat so im curious how people get by daily life with certain conditions

jennab55

Again tho if someone has issues how do those issues go away by doing what you are saying for an 8 hour stretch. My ex has IBS and it didnt matter at all what she did/did not eat so im curious how people get by daily life with certain conditions
Yes, that is why it makes sense for conditions like IBS to be excluded from DAS. It is happening everywhere, not just in lines. I say this as a person whose husband has IBS. He has strategies depending on the situation. Sometimes he wears an adult diaper just in case. Yep, it’s probably embarrassing, but they do make depends that look like real underwear now and less embarrassing than the alternative…. While at Disney I try not to schedule long queues or rides after meal times. Sometimes though he still ends up needing to leave the line or tells us to go without him. Yes it suck’s he has to miss out on things, but that is his everyday life and we just pivot. While my son has been eligible for DAS in the last, I still buy the paid system (G+ in the past) to try to make it a bit less stressful and easier for everyone in our party.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom