New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jaklgreen

I could go in the LL when the time was up? I don't think I would be bothered in that case. I would do something else in that time. It is not like I would be stuck waiting at the attraction entrance.
You might as well just have DAS then since that is what you described. You just now have to go through the farce of standing in the line for a few minutes.

jaklgreen

Most people will not leave the line and do this. This system has been in place the whole time and very few actually use it.

Unless you are solo or your case with a minor, you most likely will just keep waiting as it's not worth the effort to leave the line and go back to meet up with your group.

I don't think people are just going to want 5-10 minutes and leave. That means you would have to than go back through all those people to leave the line. Most aren't going to want to do that unless they absolutely have to.
Saying "you most likely will just keep waiting" is tone deaf. This will be true for those who are faking it, but we are talking about people with legitimate medical issues. It has been reminded before, please remember that we are talking about people with disabilities. And no, people don't just stop having their medical issues because it will be "too inconvenient" for them.

jaklgreen

Most likely they will get a return time. You've been told this numerous times already. You just don't like the answer and think it isn't fair even though it is what will apply to anyone not using DAS in that specific situation (solo traveler or single parent with minor child) whether they previously used DAS or not.
The issue is all depending on how long that return time will be. If it prorated for the time that you already waited in line, no one has an issue with that. But someone was reporting that it was based off of what that current posted wait time is when you leave the line, giving no credit for the time you already waited in line. THAT is the unfair part.
So let's say they do this, what is going to stop people from getting in line for only a few minutes and then leaving, so that they are not punished for their time in line?

jaklgreen

If they have been waiting in the standby queue they will be provided a return time if they need to leave.

This has been answered and explained for you already. But you are obsessed with creating scenarios of abuse
How long is "long enough" though? 10 minutes, 20? What if I get in line and after 5 minutes, I start to have a flair up? Many medical conditions are unpredictable.

Jrb1979

Saying "you most likely will just keep waiting" is tone deaf. This will be true for those who are faking it, but we are talking about people with legitimate medical issues. It has been reminded before, please remember that we are talking about people with disabilities. And no, people don't just stop having their medical issues because it will be "too inconvenient" for them.
My response was about those faking it. Had nothing to do with being tone deaf.

How long is "long enough" though? 10 minutes, 20? What if I get in line and after 5 minutes, I start to have a flair up? Many medical conditions are unpredictable.
There is no long enough. Again too many here keep coming up with these hypothetical situations when the solution for each one is the same.

For the most part, no matter how long you've been in line you will get a return time for length of the wait time of standby.

The only time that changes is if you are with a party of people, than you will rejoin them at the merge part.

Again before @Splash4eva says it the reason for them not giving you a return time minus the time you waited is cause a CM has no idea how long anyone waited.

Chip Chipperson

The issue is all depending on how long that return time will be. If it prorated for the time that you already waited in line, no one has an issue with that. But someone was reporting that it was based off of what that current posted wait time is when you leave the line, giving no credit for the time you already waited in line. THAT is the unfair part.
So let's say they do this, what is going to stop people from getting in line for only a few minutes and then leaving, so that they are not punished for their time in line?
It's not unfair. It applies to everyone. I think you and splash are overestimating how often people with legitimate needs will fake the need to leave a line shortly after joining - just in case they actuallydo have an issue later. What happens when they do that, have no issues during their wait, and then DO have an issue while waiting in the LL queue? The argument was made that this system is too intrusive/embarrassing for guests who have to explain why they need to leave the line. Now the argument is that doing so is so appealing that there will be widespread abuse?

Splash4eva

It's not unfair. It applies to everyone. I think you and splash are overestimating how often people with legitimate needs will fake the need to leave a line shortly after joining - just in case they actuallydo have an issue later. What happens when they do that, have no issues during their wait, and then DO have an issue while waiting in the LL queue? The argument was made that this system is too intrusive/embarrassing for guests who have to explain why they need to leave the line. Now the argument is that doing so is so appealing that there will be widespread abuse?
Tbh having this “policy” imo will definitely lead to “abuse” by people with legit needs. People who know they most likely cant stand in a line longer than x amount of time will rationalize that waiting for c amount then having to leave and wait God knows how much longer is a waste of time. You can agree with it or not and call it whatever you want to call it but i can clearly see that happening…
And in regards to people who lie/cheat with No disability yes i can easily see this being the next “hack” thoSe true abusers use next.

Jrb1979

Tbh having this “policy” imo will definitely lead to “abuse” by people with legit needs. People who know they most likely cant stand in a line longer than x amount of time will rationalize that waiting for c amount then having to leave and wait God knows how much longer is a waste of time. You can agree with it or not and call it whatever you want to call it but i can clearly see that happening…
And in regards to people who lie/cheat with No disability yes i can easily see this being the next “hack” thoSe true abusers use next.
Than abuse away cause you really aren't getting anything out of it other than a longer wait. Not only do you have to enter the line but than back track through the line. After that you have to talk to the CM and get a return time equal to the length of standby.

Example say standby is 90 minutes, you honestly think many will go in standby for 5-10 minutes, leave and get a return time for 90 minutes?

I don't, only those who absolutely need to leave will go through the effort.

Chi84

Premium Member
Disney is not giving out DAS for physical disabilities and there’s nothing to indicate that CMs are going to give its equivalent to people who ask for it before entering a standby line.

I think people are really stretching the requirement of accessibility when they start to include time lost as a result of using a disability accommodation.

This really isn’t an issue except for solo travelers and a few other unique circumstances (many of which seem to have been raised here and given undue weight). And even if they are given a return time, it still avoids having to return to the line and lets them do other things.

Disney’s decision to accommodate physically disabled people in line has an inherent amount of uncertainty due to differences in disabilities, attractions, size of the party, number of people already in line, etc.

The kind of precise certainty and complete fairness being sought here is only possible in a system that gives people more than they need so that it covers everything that could come up. That is DAS, and it is now no longer offered (by Disney’s wording) to people with physical disabilities.

The system hasn’t fully kicked in yet, so all this back and forth about how it won’t work and how many people will cheat and abuse it is utter speculation.

If there’s no way to stop overuse, abuse, cheating or the like, then maybe it’s not possible to extend not standing in line as a form of accommodation.

Dranth

Than abuse away cause you really aren't getting anything out of it other than a longer wait. Not only do you have to enter the line but than back track through the line. After that you have to talk to the CM and get a return time equal to the length of standby.

Example say standby is 90 minutes, you honestly think many will go in standby for 5-10 minutes, leave and get a return time for 90 minutes?

I think people are underestimating just how lowlife folks can be.

For example, as someone who doesn't need DAS, what is to stop me from doing exactly that and then wondering off to go ride a few other rides instead of going to the restroom or whatever else I claimed before coming back at my return time?

Really the only thing that is keeping that kind of behavior in check is that most of the time, it would only work for parties of 1 or 2 which does limit the damage. However, I wouldn't put it past an unfortunately sizeable number of people to break their party up into ones or twos and try to use that as a single rider system for long waits resort wide.

I just hope Disney tags the people doing this kind of junk and makes a few examples were possible. Maybe that will make some think twice.

Last edited:

Splash4eva

Okay. Again there are people here who almost certainly know themselves or their kids and understand their limits. Legit limits and if that limit is less than the posted wait time. Please explain to me why anyone in their right mind would wait on a line they know they most likely will have to leave to only have the clock reset on them again and a clock that may be even longer. That literally defies any logic whatsover

Splash4eva

I think people are underestimating just how lowlife folks can be.

For example, as someone who doesn't need DAS, what is to stop me from doing exactly that and then wondering off to go ride a few other rides instead of going to the restroom or whatever else I claimed before coming back at my return time?

Really the only thing that is keeping that kind of behavior in check is that most of the time, it would only work for parties of 1 or 2 which does limit the damage. However, I wouldn't put it past an unfortunately sizeable number of people to break their party up into ones or twos and try to use that as a single rider system for long waits resort ride.

I just hope Disney tags the people doing this kind of junk and makes a few examples were possible. Maybe that will make some think twice.
This is kinda the point im making. Cheaters are gonna cheat and people who have legit issues are the ones losing out here…

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Okay. Again there are people here who almost certainly know themselves or their kids and understand their limits. Legit limits and if that limit is less than the posted wait time. Please explain to me why anyone in their right mind would wait on a line they know they most likely will have to leave to only have the clock reset on them again and a clock that may be even longer. That literally defies any logic whatsover
In all your examples are you only referring to singles or one adult/child and caretaker? In this case, I see your point. It isn't ideal. It's an accommodation, one that's offered to any guest in the scenario.

In a larger group/family, this accommodation works better, since time isn't wasted.

MickeyLuv'r

If there’s no way to stop overuse, abuse, cheating or the like, then maybe it’s not possible to extend not standing in line as a form of accommodation.
Seems a bit premature to decide Disney plans to discontinue DAS.

You've expressed this idea a few times in this thread, and it isn't helpful.

DAS not only helps the disabled DAS holder, but also helps Disney's image as an inclusive company, an image they are eager to have.

Remember this is a thread about children and adults with severe disabilities that impair their ability to wait in a queue.

A WDW without any accommodation for children with autism and other severe medical conditions is not a place I'd visit.

Chi84

Premium Member
Seems a bit premature to decide Disney plans to discontinue DAS.

You've expressed this idea a few times in this thread, and it isn't helpful.

DAS not only helps the disabled DAS holder, but also helps Disney's image as an inclusive company, an image they are eager to have.

Remember this is a thread about children and adults with severe disabilities that impair their ability to wait in a queue.

A WDW without any accommodation for children with autism and other severe medical conditions is not a place I'd visit.
I think you may be confusing what I believe Disney should do with what I'm afraid it will actually do if its current accommodations fail miserably.

I did post earlier, in response to another poster, that I believe Disney is doing the right thing by extending DAS to people with disabilities whose very nature make it nearly impossible to wait in lines. If it could be managed, I would love if they would extend it also to those with severe physical disabilities. Unfortunately, an aging population combined with Disney's demographic probably won't allow it.

My take on this is that both Disney and people with disabilities are ill-served by our current disability laws, which hamstring businesses trying to accommodate the disabled. The law is well-intentioned, but unfortunately too open to abuse. The laws are unclear on what businesses may ask in extending accommodations, leading businesses to err on the side of caution.

If the current accommodations do not properly accommodate the disabled with an acceptable level of impact on Disney's business, I think the next step will be to require documentation of the need for DAS in its current form. I should have added the words "given the state of US disability law" to my comments. Of course being inclusive helps everyone. Disney has been willing to take quite a few hits from those who disagree.

TrojanUSC

8% of guests needed DAS based on whats been reported by insiders of that subset NOT everyone was lying. That % is NOT a high number all things considered. Disney’s rules around what a person can do party size pre books so on and so forth was the issue which is NOT abuse.

The 8% number is not accurate. 3% of guests were using GAC in 2014 when they rolled out DAS. It continued to grow each year. It reached new heights in 2020 when WDW reopened with standby only and guests wanted a "line skip" option. G+ made it grow faster than ever, with Disney stating that use nearly tripled in the last three years alone.

So let's assume (conservatively) 15% of people had DAS. Everyone has 3-4 people with them, on average. Which means the LL were 60-80% DAS users or their companions.

Abuse was astoundingly high. Not everyone was faking (though many, many were) but there were lots of people with issues like anxiety, IBS or POTS which aren't fun but don't require always skipping a standby line. Yet people used it every single time, even when they didn't need it at that moment.

Splash4eva

In all your examples are you only referring to singles or one adult/child and caretaker? In this case, I see your point. It isn't ideal. It's an accommodation, one that's offered to any guest in the scenario.

In a larger group/family, this accommodation works better, since time isn't wasted.
Yes strictly talking about solo travelers/people traveling w minor children and those who have adult care takers …

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom