New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Splash4eva

If they have been waiting in the standby queue they will be provided a return time if they need to leave.

This has been answered and explained for you already. But you are obsessed with creating scenarios of abuse
So i will take that as a yes. Thank you… if a CM cant determine how long someone been in line for to give them a fair return time not sure how they could determine someone wasnt in line “long enough”.

Splash4eva

If they have been waiting in the standby queue they will be provided a return time if they need to leave.

This has been answered and explained for you already. But you are obsessed with creating scenarios of abuse
So for years DAS has been abused by everyones admission (personally i feel
Exaggerated) yet now im obsessed about a simple scenario of how abuse can easily happen?!?

nickys

Premium Member
So a solo traveler is guaranteed a return time if he requests one stating he needs to leave the line? Yes or No?

Noone is guaranteed a return time. Just like no one was guaranteed DAS under the old rules.

But if you do have to leave then the chances are good that you will be given a return time if you explain your situation. And that has been happening. If it is a likely scenario, you can speak to a CM beforehand. In some cases there may be an alternative option provided - again that has been happening.

You may end up waiting longer than you would have done had you stayed in line. That should be enough of a deterrent for guests not to try it unless they really have to.

And some guests have specifically been granted DAS for solo trips but not if they are travelling with others (adults).

Ultimately no one can give a guarantee as to how you will be accommodated. There have been reports of both positive and negative experiences.

Chi84

Premium Member
Maybe you are missing the point im trying to make. It happens. All im saying is why would anyone who understand their limits more than anyone willingly wait until
That limit is reached and then leave the line and have to wait a much longer wait time… it would make no sense.
It kind of does if you are then given a return time so you don't have to wait in the rest of the line. It's the "not able to stand in line" that's being accommodated - not your time. Time is so valuable at WDW that they actually sell it in the form of Genie+/ILLs.

peter11435

So i will take that as a yes. Thank you… if a CM cant determine how long someone been in line for to give them a fair return time not sure how they could determine someone wasnt in line “long enough”.

If a guest simply steps in and out of a line and immediately requests a return time this can be observed.

So for years DAS has been abused by everyones admission (personally i feel
Exaggerated) yet now im obsessed about a simple scenario of how abuse can easily happen?!?
Your scenario applies only to an incredibly small demographic of solo travelers. And every time a return time is issued it is logged and tracked.

The das abuse was not exaggerated

Splash4eva

If a guest simply steps in and out of a line and immediately requests a return time this can be observed.

Your scenario applies only to an incredibly small demographic of solo travelers. And every time a return time is issued it is logged and tracked.

8% of guests needed DAS based on whats been reported by insiders of that subset NOT everyone was lying. That % is NOT a high number all things considered. Disney’s rules around what a person can do party size pre books so on and so forth was the issue which is NOT abuse.

Chip Chipperson

Agreed. If we're supposed to believe CMs are blind and/or have goldfish memories then it's safe to say the argument isn't being made in good faith.

Yep. Those tour guides banned from the parks all seemed to know that other guides were using their own DAS to get their customers onto as many rides as possible, but swore they weren't among them. Whether they were telling the truth about themselves or not, it was obviously not a rare occurrence. Add in individual liars and it was certainly more widespread than some people want to believe.

Grantwil93

People are free to try what they want to try and say what they want to say to CMs, if what we’ve heard is accurate and amount of RTQ given out is going to be heavily scrutinized so its either not going to work out for the guest or it’s going to cause another overhaul of the system.

I think until reports prove otherwise Disney is well aware of their guest demographics, typical group make ups, needs that qualify/no longer qualify, how many outlier kind of situations may come through the line, and has developed their procedures accordingly.
Disney can essentially click a button and shut off the RTQ distribution access to CM's. If it gets bad, that's the first thing they will do. If an overhaul of that aspect becomes necessary, I have no doubt they will.

But I'm hopeful it won't come to that.

Grantwil93

The abuse of DAS. Or overuse. Or just regular fair use, was real. Ppl don't believe it still. It was a system that had too many people using it for it to not break the operations in a significant way.

You either change it to be way worse of an accommodation or you get as many people off it as you can but keep it mostly the same for those that truly need that extreme level of accommodation.

Disney didn't just do this because they felt like it. And it wasn't to increase revenue as the only consideration.

Weather_Lady

8% of guests needed DAS based on whats been reported by insiders of that subset NOT everyone was lying. That % is NOT a high number all things considered. Disney’s rules around what a person can do party size pre books so on and so forth was the issue which is NOT abuse.
So if 8% of guests need DAS (and can each bring 3 people with them), that means up to 32% of guests are using it. That sounds like "a high number all things considered" to me! Although it would help explain why the standby-to-ILL ratio is so horrifically high, and so dramatically detrmimental to standby guests...

Splash4eva

The abuse doesn't have to do with the rules but the guests knowing the key words to get DAS when they could be accommodated with systems like that are using now.
Thats not abuse thats called lying and cheating to get DAS… which i already alluded to in my prior comment

Splash4eva

So if 8% of guests need DAS (and can each bring 3 people with them), that means up to 32% of guests are using it. That sounds like "a high number all things considered" to me! Although it would help explain why the standby-to-ILL ratio is so horrifically high, and so dramatically detrmimental to standby guests...
Again. Disneys policies and rules and i am on record stating the number needed to be reduced party size wise
Also 8% is strictly the DAS number so 32% is not abusing the system

hopemax

Disney already argued that attraction access (as a capacity) is not unlimited in the GAC lawsuit. Attraction access is a finite resource, just like parking, seating, etc. Disney argued that treating it as unlimited would negatively impair their services. They have already established in at least one court it's a finite resource they were right to limit or throttle access to.

This discussion now is simply a question of concurrency...

Disney could address it a different way too. Imagine if instead of # of DAS passes per park, they could do something like 'There are 200 DAS passes available for this attraction an hour' and it's based on the attraction's capacity.

This would have a different impact in that guests wouldn't know if they would get access... potentially many times a day.. which is not very nice. But maybe they do if they come back during another hour... etc.

It's a different formula, but the premise/challenge of 'you can't limit usage' is fundamentally the same.. and the reasoning for why it would likely be allowed would be the same. Disney has a finite capacity, they aren't obligated to let accommodations usage destroy normal usage of that capacity for all customers.
I am behind on this thread, but as the discussion is getting into areas where I think this is all heading, and we're heading to the MK soon for D23 Tiana event...

This is getting at the crux of the issue, IMO. How much of an attraction's capacity should be allocated to DAS guests before it's no longer an accommodation but superior access? I think we'd agree if, say Peter Pan or another lower capacity attraction was renovated into the most magical experience ever, and the number of DAS guests wishing to ride during the peak hours of 11-3 outnumbered the attraction capacity in that period and no able-bodied guests could ride, that would cross into superior access. Working backwards from the upper boundary, how many able-bodied guests would need to be served? 1 party per hour? 25%, 50%?

It's not a question theme parks want to answer. So what they do is put limits on everyone. Things like controlling access into a land like Super Nintendo World at Universal Hollywood, or Fantasy Springs in TDS. In the International parks Disney has already implemented Standby Pass for some rides. The first thing these things do is eliminate re-rides for anyone, but it still won't be enough. The problem, I see, in bringing Standby Pass to the US Parks is that they have allowed the ratio of "guests entering the park" to exceed the number of "guests who could actually ride most of the E-tickets on their visit." Watch that Defunctland video, and how many things they had to add to the Fastpass system to generate enough slots to hand out... So then they are looking at having to limit guests to only a couple E-ticket rides per day, which gets into with the prices Disney is charging, who is going to pay $175 to only be able to ride a couple E-tickets per day. Which leads to an effective attendance cap lower than what Disney or the Street needs Disney to operate at.

I think where we're going to end up with, down the road, not imminently, is something like where we started... a virtual Ticket book system. Each person, allocated a specific number of attractions from each tier, and if you want more of a top tier, you may be able to purchase it, depending on remaining capacity available. And I suspect Disney is waiting to see whatever Universal pulls out of its hat when Epic opens (I suspect the portals, aren't going to be open for everyone, all the time, and lands will "reach capacity.") and how guests respond.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom