New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jaklgreen

It's not just the nature of the disability of course. I suspect that a person will have an easier time explaining why they need a return time for a 90 minute FOP queue than they will for a 10 minute peoplemover queue.
Many people with disabilities have to take into consideration how long the actual ride is also. It is just not about how long that they can be in the physical queue, but also the time it takes for the ride. So many can wait in a bit longer queue for a shorter ride like Dumbo that is only 90 seconds long, but can't wait as long for a longer ride like People Mover, where you are on it for 10 minutes. Again, like many others have said, not all disabilities fit into this mold that you are trying to put them in.

Disstevefan1

under the new das rules you can wait in another que while waiting to use your das
Great! The new DAS seems like a good deal then for folks who can get it.

My idea wont work. There will be cheaters, but hopefully there will be less cheaters.

As for the rest of us, I suspect wait times for both LL and standby wont change much.

And that's not because of DAS its because of the FAILED Genie+ system.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Wasn't calling anyone situation out specifically but a hypothetical DAS user.
disney doesn't break down the das into person x can only do 30 minutes for the most part but can on a good day do 45 minutes for y ride but not z ride. 30 minutes is their standard measure of time for the most part. and there are lines if 15 minutes that aren't worth the risk for us

Last edited:

Purduevian

disney doesn't break down the das into person x can only do 30 minutes for the most part but can on a good day do 45 minutes for y ride but not z ride. 30 minutes is their standard measure of time for the most part.
I guess I'm confused... as I have never attempted to get DAS. In the call with the CM do you not describe what types of lines you cannot wait in and why you can't wait in them? I know the customer facing side of the app doesn't show the reason DAS was approved, but surely Disney is keeping records of all of these calls on their end.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I guess I'm confused... as I have never attempted to get DAS. In the call with the CM do you not describe what types of lines you cannot wait in and why you can't wait in them? I know the customer facing side of the app doesn't show the reason DAS was approved, but surely Disney is keeping records of all of these calls on their end.
i'm not going to give a roadmap, explaining anything more at this point would be giving one

Club Cooloholic

Wasn't calling anyone situation out specifically but a hypothetical DAS user.
I know exactly what you mean, if you can't wait the 30 minutes indoors to one ride, how is ok to wait 45 minutes to do another? You mean if tracking showed guests waiting longer than 30 minutes for other things elsewhere. That currently isn't done as nobody checks into standby with anything.

jaklgreen

I suspect this is part of an effort to add some accountability by forcing people to confirm their need for an accommodation in person.

It's clear it's far too easy for people to do that one off request and lie through their teeth in many cases.

Perhaps the people who were willing to lie that one time to get DAS will not be so willing to lie to a cast member's face on a frequent basis.

It will be awkward for some people who actually need the accommodation but it could be one more tool to discourage the fraud.
I think that people that are willing to lie will have no issues repeating that lie. It takes a special kind of person to actually claim that they have a disability when they don't.

Purduevian

i'm not going to give a roadmap, explaining anything more at this point would be giving one
Not looking for a roadmap for how to get DAS. I guess I just assumed from the call that the limitations of the person requiring DAS would be presented in some way... If that is the case it would be pretty easy to flag that user if they do something that is outside their limitations for a review of abuse.*

If the DAS call does not discuss the limitations of the person requiring DAS I guess my point is mute, but I also then have no idea how CMs would ever determine who does and does not need DAS.

*Also by review I mean a human should go back and look at the call, the situation that caused the flag, and possibly any other information they have such as security tape.

ConfettiCupcake

I still think problems are attempting to be solved and solutions given in these discussions for something Disney doesn’t seem to be focused on.

They don’t appear to be concerned how people are using the DAS once they have it. I think part of the tightening up they’re doing has to do with groups/needs/etc that in general are capable of using more than their share of LL capacity in Disney’s experience, but again the crackdown appears to be on who is using it not how they’re using it.

Angel Ariel

Not looking for a roadmap for how to get DAS. I guess I just assumed from the call that the limitations of the person requiring DAS would be presented in some way... If that is the case it would be pretty easy to flag that user if they do something that is outside their limitations for a review of abuse.*

If the DAS call does not discuss the limitations of the person requiring DAS I guess my point is mute, but I also then have no idea how CMs would ever determine who does and does not need DAS.

*Also by review I mean a human should go back and look at the call, the situation that caused the flag, and possibly any other information they have such as security tape.
You discuss the need that requires waiting outside the line. For some that may be a time based need. For others it won't be. Limitations vary from person to person, and not all are time-specific.

DisneyHead123

If the cheaters are doing things while waiting for a DAS time that directly go against the reason the user was given DAS it would seem pretty obvious.

For example, let's say the user was given DAS because they are unable to wait more than 30 minutes in any line. Then go wait in a 60-minute line somewhere while waiting for a 90 minute DAS return for a different ride.
This has come up a bunch of times in different forms. The problem with this method is that triggers for different issues will vary substantially. One line might trigger anxiety, claustrophobia, meltdowns, etc. while another is just fine. Also, a person may be experiencing a flare up with something or having a hard time in the morning but feel much better in the afternoon. What any of us can do on our best days tends to vary from what we can handle when we’re having a rough time.

There would be almost no fair way to accuse someone of cheating unless they actually admitted to falsifying information. I think Disney needs to brainstorm on how to improve DAS screening (and while they’re at it, improve capacity and make the lines less dungeon-like so that they’re not so aversive to so many people,) but that’s not the way to go about it. Logistically it just wouldn’t make sense - very few people openly admit they’re faking a need for DAS in public.

Minnesota disney fan

And for those that need it, it's incredibly frustrating as the crack downs will inevitably lead to people that actually need these accommodations being denied.
I am hopeful that Disney will redo things when they get into this and see what needs to be done so that those who actually need this service will be able to get it. I think they have a lot of information to go over and will actually redo things so it is more just while keeping the cheaters out.

jjpet

This assumes that the disability experience is always **static** which I think many in the community wish it was, because that would make planning and accommodating disabilities INFINITELY easier and less anxiety-ridden. My son has an alphabet soup of developmental diagnoses... and I can read his cues - b/c I know him so well - when it is a good time to try a 45 minute line and when even a 15 minute wait is a no-go. On paper it sounds like it is easy to detect cheaters, but the reality of your idea just isn't that simple.

MickeyLuv'r

If the cheaters are doing things while waiting for a DAS time that directly go against the reason the user was given DAS it would seem pretty obvious.

For example, let's say the user was given DAS because they are unable to wait more than 30 minutes in any line. Then go wait in a 60-minute line somewhere while waiting for a 90 minute DAS return for a different ride.
Ideas like this keep getting posting in this thread. It is pure speculation.
If someone was doing did this then they would deserve to be called out, for stupidity if nothing else.

I don't think fake-DAS users would do this, because why?
Let's look at Epcot for example. If they enter the park for Early entry, they can get a headliner out of the way without using any pass at all- same as everyone else. If they are a FAKE user, of course they are maxing opportunities, so they are probably making EE/RD. But they'd only get in a line that was short, because anything else is just dumb.

While waiting for Remy, they could do a wide variety of rides that do NOT have a 60minute wait: Pixar films, Imagination, Living w/Land, M:S, Nemo, prob Soarin', SE, Turtle Talk, Moana. They could get breakfast, shop, take photos, do one of the scavenger hunts, look at the Seas' aquariums, or get free soda.

About the only rides that have over a 60min wait before 10am are FEA and maybe Test Track.

But they have DAS. So it would be really dumb park-touring strategy if they went out of their way to wait 60 standby for FEA.

And since they are power-riders, they wouldn't get in the Test Track standby queue either. IF they wanted to ride TT, they'd use the very empty single rider queue.

Last edited:

Grantwil93

the very cynical part of me at the moment just can't help thinking that people's fear of missing out is surpassing their empathy.

whereas most of us living this day to day would love to not have to need it in the first place.
I think you are spot on. And it's unfortunate. I don't even think it's cynical anymore.

For many, the stroller has replaced the bag. I will also say, strollers have just gotten more and more complicated with more and more storage over the years. People are enabled to bring more with them because the strollers are enabling it via design. Just look at the wagons. Disney literally banned them(outside of the wheelchair tag) because they are patently ridiculous and yet people buy them as a mobile playpen and storage over something designed to just be a stroller.

ConfettiCupcake

the very cynical part of me at the moment just can't help thinking that people's fear of missing out is surpassing their empathy.

whereas most of us living this day to day would love to not have to need it in the first place.

It’s especially noticeable at Disney in recent years where some are spending the entirety of their day trying to “beat” other guests and have a better than baseline experience thanks to the system that Disney has created.

All roads lead back to the mess they’ve made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom