New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

KrzyKtty

And at that point, it is basically DAS anyway, so why deny those people? When someone is going solo and has a disability, why even tell them to do the RTQ with the cast member when DAS does the same thing?
Some people on another Disney Forum was speculating that RTQ was just a subset of AQR. As in you only get it if you were waiting in line as solo, and had to leave. Or something in that quality.

Grantwil93

How much does that really cut down on abuse? If people were lying to get it before, wouldn’t they keep lying to get it on a different day/trip?
It more just requires you to have the conversation every visit now. Its an attempt to keep the system up to date and make it easier for CM's to enforce it. But it's being prompted by a need to essentially audit the system.

I'm probably gonna come of heated in this comment.

It makes ppl have to factor that in to your trip. It won't be denied, but it's just a bit more effort and upkeep and it should be no issue for those who actually need it. It's just a way to keep the data on everyone's reason updated, probably because they are looking at the reasons given similar to DAS and if they want to change the criteria.

Plus, they do write down the reason you gave previously. You gotta be consistent. Cause so many people get them for their baby for no reason other than "I can't carry them long distance" and then just keep the tag on forever. Even when their kid is walking through the line and the tagged stroller is empty being brought through the queue taking up space(and there isn't a medical device in it either)

I wish there was a way to actually stop the abuse. The tag has turned into "the stroller is my bag and I don't want to leave it in the sun outside" or "I can't parent my kid without bringing the whole playpen in this ridiculous wagon" for many of those using the tags.

I know, before anyone says it, "you don't know their situation, maybe its got a medical device in it, maybe blah blah blah." Sometimes, it's just so Blatant that it's BS it's hard to ignore.

You see a tagged stroller empty being pushed in line at a ride, the kids are running around in line completely fine, they parent hands the stroller off and they get on no issue. When that happens multiple times every hour at a ride, it's gonna anger CM's more than DAS ever did, I can promise you.

The tag has become another "they aren't stopping me from getting it, so I want it too"

Don't be surprised if the new colors are just a way to bolster data to then effect change in the future. Cause the tag use is way up at WDW and DL. Similar to the uptick in DAS

Last edited:

Purduevian

Children are u able to handle heat as well as adults, they are simply less heat tolerant than adults by virtue of their anatomy and inability to sweat as much. I would not be opposed to letting parents of say 12 and under have a return time option for rides with long exposed outdoor queues like Tianas.
There isn't enough space in Magic kingdom to put everyone unless they start building out pretty large lounges around (which they could)

Club Cooloholic

There isn't enough space in Magic kingdom to put everyone unless they start building out pretty large lounges around (which they could)
But if heat sensitivity is something someone can get accomodation for, medically all kids are going to be more hear sensitive than the average adult. Many kids avoid summer sports for this reason.

Last edited:

Purduevian

But if heat sensitivity is something someone can get accomodation for, medically all kids are going to be more hear sensitive than the average adult. Many kids avoid summer sports for this reason.
I get what you are saying. However, if you dump every family with a child under 12 years old from every ride with an outdoor queue and a 30+ min line... the rest of the park will be so full they wouldn't all physically fit into the remaining indoor/AC areas (indoor shows, stores, and QS).

Personally I would love a park that was full VQ with tons of large indoor lounges, shows, playgrounds, ect, but in its current state no Orlando park is built that way.

Club Cooloholic

I get what you are saying. However, if you dump every family with a child under 12 years old from every ride with an outdoor queue and a 30+ min line... the rest of the park will be so full they wouldn't all physically fit into the remaining indoor/AC areas (indoor shows, stores, and QS).

Personally I would love a park that was full VQ with tons of large indoor lounges, shows, playgrounds, ect, but in its current state no Orlando park is built that way.
All this is true which is why I think they made these changes because it was starting to head into that direction

easyrowrdw

The stroller is considered a substitute for a wheelchair, so they are allowed to keep their stroller in line, rather than putting it in the stroller corral.
It’s a tag that says “stroller = wheelchair” which allows the stroller to be treated as a wheelchair. (Also see the mom’s post above - I was writing at the same time!)
Thank you both.

jaklgreen

How much does that really cut down on abuse? If people were lying to get it before, wouldn’t they keep lying to get it on a different day/trip?
It is more that there was one type of tag and people were actually selling their tags to others on E-bay. So anyone could buy a stroller as a wheelchair tag from unscrupulous people and have their kid, with no medical need for one, use their stroller as a wheelchair.

jaklgreen

Some people on another Disney Forum was speculating that RTQ was just a subset of AQR. As in you only get it if you were waiting in line as solo, and had to leave. Or something in that quality.
As primarily a solo traveler, this is what I am waiting to see how they handle solo travelers with medical issues. I have no issues going to the ride and getting a return time. I don't think that I would be comfortable having to explain my medical issues in full hearing of others every time though. If only they had some way to pre approve people like me so that we didn't have to waste everyone's time like this. :rolleyes:

natatomic

It more just requires you to have the conversation every visit now. Its an attempt to keep the system up to date and make it easier for CM's to enforce it. But it's being prompted by a need to essentially audit the system.

I'm probably gonna come of heated in this comment.

It makes ppl have to factor that in to your trip. It won't be denied, but it's just a bit more effort and upkeep and it should be no issue for those who actually need it. It's just a way to keep the data on everyone's reason updated, probably because they are looking at the reasons given similar to DAS and if they want to change the criteria.

Plus, they do write down the reason you gave previously. You gotta be consistent. Cause so many people get them for their baby for no reason other than "I can't carry them long distance" and then just keep the tag on forever. Even when their kid is walking through the line and the tagged stroller is empty being brought through the queue taking up space(and there isn't a medical device in it either)

I wish there was a way to actually stop the abuse. The tag has turned into "the stroller is my bag and I don't want to leave it in the sun outside" or "I can't parent my kid without bringing the whole playpen in this ridiculous wagon" for many of those using the tags.

I know, before anyone says it, "you don't know their situation, maybe its got a medical device in it, maybe blah blah blah." Sometimes, it's just so Blatant that it's BS it's hard to ignore.

You see a tagged stroller empty being pushed in line at a ride, the kids are running around in line completely fine, they parent hands the stroller off and they get on no issue. When that happens multiple times every hour at a ride, it's gonna anger CM's more than DAS ever did, I can promise you.

The tag has become another "they aren't stopping me from getting it, so I want it too"

Don't be surprised if the new colors are just a way to bolster data to then effect change in the future. Cause the tag use is way up at WDW and DL. Similar to the uptick in DAS
Wait, can you get the wheelchair tag for a stroller/wagon just because you can’t carry your baby in line? I thought you had to have a medical reason, but is that a reason that is accepted?

Touchdown

Crowds are more evenly dispersed today, and all parks are semi crowded.
IMG_4842.jpeg
IMG_4841.jpeg

Fido Chuckwagon

Now I’m curious, what are these stroller tags? What do they do for a guest?
It basically marks your stroller as a wheelchair. It lets you bring it in line with you and forces the CM to bring it around to the ride exit for when you get off. There are a small number of people who really need this service and for that, and likely a much larger number of jerks who are either totally lying about having a disability, or are exaggerating it to get an accommodation they don't need. The whole thing is very similar to the larger DAS issue.

Fido Chuckwagon

As primarily a solo traveler, this is what I am waiting to see how they handle solo travelers with medical issues. I have no issues going to the ride and getting a return time. I don't think that I would be comfortable having to explain my medical issues in full hearing of others every time though. If only they had some way to pre approve people like me so that we didn't have to waste everyone's time like this. :rolleyes:
It's not just the nature of the disability of course. I suspect that a person will have an easier time explaining why they need a return time for a 90 minute FOP queue than they will for a 10 minute peoplemover queue.

Wendy Pleakley

I suspect this is part of an effort to add some accountability by forcing people to confirm their need for an accommodation in person.

It's clear it's far too easy for people to do that one off request and lie through their teeth in many cases.

Perhaps the people who were willing to lie that one time to get DAS will not be so willing to lie to a cast member's face on a frequent basis.

It will be awkward for some people who actually need the accommodation but it could be one more tool to discourage the fraud.

KrzyKtty

This is honestly the first time I heard of this. Not doubting it. Maybe it's just because I was raised in a generation that locked us outside of our house all day from the minute the sun came up as soon as we were out of diapers 🤣.

Last edited:

SamusAranX

They also (likely) have APs’ actual history of wait/ride data (measure from tap points to ride photos?) and know all the times they waited 30+ minutes for various A list attractions. Are you going to feel confident suing Disney over AQR if they can point to your actual history in the parks, and risk getting banned if they catch you lying?

There have been rumors that Disney had a huge problem with local APs and cast members liberally using DAS— we have seen this month that ride waits were lower on days when locals were blocked out at MK… so it makes sense they would get the highest benefit from increasing enforcement against the heaviest capacity users/abusers. If a family that visits 4 days every other year is approved for a DAS, it doesn’t impact Disney’s operations much. If a DAS holder local AP who comes 50 days a year with 4-5 friends gets approved, it’s at least 10x as much strain on the system.
Not so with standby. You don’t tap in. So the people who were getting a return time for ToT then going to wait 60 minutes for MFSR were going undetected

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom