New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

ditzee

What is legally required is already written and will only change with successful litigation. Disney believes they meet the requirements currently in place.
I'm not so sure. IMO, Disney is doing what they believe they can get away with for now. The suits will come amnd even if successful, Disney will keep them in court as long as they can.

Chi84

Premium Member
To clarify - if RTQ were mentioned on the the pre visit call when someone is denied das, and it's noted on the back end that the guest has a max wait time of xx minutes, and then I as guest knew anytime I went to a queue that had a wait greater than xx minutes, that the RTQ would be granted - I still have to go to the attraction CM at the queue and request. And. I still have predictability and ability to plan to accommodate the disability needs in other ways (as @Gomer was kind enough to detail how planning the day is a big part of how families accommodate the needs as well).

that it is always at the discretion of a cast member, and knowing there are quotas and consequences for cast members going above it negatively impacts the ability for the family to plan and organize other accommodations throughout the day.
I responded, then deleted my initial response. Does anyone have any information on what call representatives are saying about RTQ? I've been hearing they're not distinguishing it from AQR.

Chi84

Premium Member
IMO the major problem with this change is the lack of clarity and the lack of information since even cast members don't seem to have a consistent understanding on these calls, which is inexcusable quite frankly
I'm just wondering if RTQ is AQR for the physically disabled who do not have someone to wait in line for them. That would explain the lack of differentiation in explanation along with the consequences for cast members giving them out too often.

Weather_Lady

No such needs.

They can label their systems however they choose
Correct. If they wanted to be more detailed, at this point they could really call it a, "All the people who use the right buzz words when we ask them about their limitations, and the 3 other people they opt to bring with them Assistance Program," but who wants to say all that?

Unfortunately, in trying to accomplish the Sisyphean task of creating meaningful access to attractions for guests with relevant disabilities, while discouraging abuse, preserving access to lightning lanes for G+/ILL purchasers, and providing at least a minimally tolerable experience to the poor saps in the standby lines, that may be the best Disney or any other theme park can do without spending more of their own money to increase capacity and raise the quality of access for everyone (which we know Disney won't do, when it can instead benefit from us blaming other guests for the long lines instead of Disney management, and desperately throwing our own money at the problem, by dint of ILL/G+).

The present situation is one in which each stakeholding group -- disabled guests, non-disabled guests, and G+/ILL purchasers -- rightfully feels they've been underserved and unfairly treated.

Last edited:

ConfettiCupcake

I'm just wondering if RTQ is AQR for the physically disabled who do not have someone to wait in line for them. That would explain the lack of differentiation in explanation along with the consequences for cast members giving them out too often.

I think this might be the case, and it’s why it seems so confusing and like they’re withholding info from a guest POV. I’m not sure that as guests we are supposed to be distinguishing between the two. From a guest POV I think it all falls under the “talk to a CM at the attraction” umbrella. I think they may be internal terms that differentiate between a group who can plausibly have some members wait in the standby queue and a group that cannot.

Club Cooloholic

Under the old system, did those with DAS have to use the virtual ride reservation system to have access to ride Tron etc?
Nevermind I see that you do still need it.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
The present situation is one in which each stakeholding group -- disabled guests, non-disabled guests, and G+/ILL purchasers -- feels rightfully underserved and unfairly treated.
Unfortunately there will always be a significant element of that as long as people are denied something and others face consequences of it’s use.

I’ve always said the ADA created an impossible standard and as they keep expanding the definition of covered disability it will just keep getting worse.

And here Disney looks almost schizo in how it’s trying to address this iteration of their approach to the problem.

I do agree with the simple premise tho they should have rebranded the offers… then maybe people would be forced to focus on what accommodation they are fighting over… and not just ‘in or out’

Purduevian

Under the old system, did those with DAS have to use the virtual ride reservation system to have access to ride Tron etc?
With rides with Boarding groups, the DAS user would need to secure a Boarding group to be able to ride. I believe when their group was called they would be allowed to use the LL.

Club Cooloholic

Any explanation of these things leads to cheating. But basically, it comes down to degrees. People may be able to handle enclosed spaces for short periods, but not an hour+ without their disability then being an issue.
I am simply making an observation there is certainly for some people, particularly those seeking to abuse the system, a hypocrisy at times. If I claim anxiety of being enclosed, leaves me u able to wait in a line, for any amount of time, I am sorry but how can someone take me seriously as I climb into a doom buggy that may break down mid ride and leave me sitting in that thing for over a half hour total (has happened many times).

ditzee

I am simply making an observation there is certainly for some people, particularly those seeking to abuse the system, a hypocrisy at times. If I claim anxiety of being enclosed, leaves me u able to wait in a line, for any amount of time, I am sorry but how can someone take me seriously as I climb into a doom buggy that may break down mid ride and leave me sitting in that thing for over a half hour total (has happened many times).
If you go with this idea, then, a bathroom lock could break, an elevator could stop, a building might have to be evacuated, etc.
Disabled people are aware anything can happen but we have enough "ifs" is our lives without catastrophizing things that might go wrong. Besides my physical limitations, I have anaphylaxis reactions. When first diagnosed, I lost 20 lbs worrying about the "what ifs". Now, I always have my epi pens and I realize what could happen and will admit to being nervous when we eat out but I'm not going to allow my allergy to limit my life beyond not eating shellfish because that is not living.

nickys

Premium Member
But then it would also be needed for solo guests, those where the only other adult in the party is needed to assist the person needing to leave the line and so on. That could apply equally to any disability.

lazyboy97o

Once again, issues are not absolutes and people can chose to be uncomfortable.

Chi84

Premium Member
No such needs.

They can label their systems however they choose
Sorry I could have said that better. I was thinking required in terms of accurately conveying what they are offering. Disney is expressly stating the service is for those who are unable to stand in line due to a disability (now a developmental disability).

Of course they can choose to leave out the word disability but it would seem unwise.

DisneyHead123

I’m not sure what you’re pointing out in this example. Doom buggies aren’t exactly Mission Space. They are open ride vehicles with a lap bar that a person could wriggle out from under. Not much worse than sitting in a restaurant booth. In a line a person is squished into a mass of people who could, in the wrong circumstances, potentially trample them. These seem like extremely different circumstances.

Chi84

Premium Member
But then it would also be needed for solo guests, those where the only other adult in the party is needed to assist the person needing to leave the line and so on. That could apply equally to any disability.
Correct. It would also apply to those with developmental disabilities who didn’t get DAS.

Club Cooloholic

If you go with this idea, then, a bathroom lock could break, an elevator could stop, a building might have to be evacuated, etc.
Disabled people are aware anything can happen but we have enough "ifs" is our lives without catastrophizing things that might go wrong. Besides my physical limitations, I have anaphylaxis reactions. When first diagnosed, I lost 20 lbs worrying about the "what ifs". Now, I always have my epi pens and I realize what could happen and will admit to being nervous when we eat out but I'm not going to allow my allergy to limit my life beyond not eating shellfish because that is not living.
I'm not lumping in everyone as you seem to be trying to do and others try and do with with one word disabled. I am talking about people who claim to have a severe anxiety over an enclosed space or a dark space and then we'll go on a ride. That is just that very thing this is a kin to me saying I have a crippling anxiety around sharks and then I go to the aquarium and I say may I please now swim with the sharks
As for your analogy, if I had a severe fear of being exposed using a restroom in public, there's a good chance. I just may never use a restroom in public. I know people that do that.
Honestly, I think if das was limited to those with physical disabilities autistic neurological issues, then everybody would be fine with that. It's these very gray area anxiety ones where I think people are calling bull

Club Cooloholic

I’m not sure what you’re pointing out in this example. Doom buggies aren’t exactly Mission Space. They are open ride vehicles with a lap bar that a person could wriggle out from under. Not much worse than sitting in a restaurant booth. In a line a person is squished into a mass of people who could, in the wrong circumstances, potentially trample them. These seem like extremely different circumstances.
Actually your example I would say that one couldn't go to a Disney park at all if that's their worried of being trampled. Have you ever tried walking around the park? It's unavoidable that you might bump into somebody. Honestly given your example I could explain to the people around me if I was in a line that I have a phobia and please give me a few feet in front and behind me. But if I'm stuck in that dune buggy no it is not like being in a restaurant because I can't get out. You're not allowed to just hop off if the ride stops

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom