New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

ditzee

I'm not lumping in everyone as you seem to be trying to do and others try and do with with one word disabled. I am talking about people who claim to have a severe anxiety over an enclosed space or a dark space and then we'll go on a ride. That is just that very thing this is a kin to me saying I have a crippling anxiety around sharks and then I go to the aquarium and I say may I please now swim with the sharks
As for your analogy, if I had a severe fear of being exposed using a restroom in public, there's a good chance. I just may never use a restroom in public. I know people that do that.
Honestly, I think if das was limited to those with physical disabilities autistic neurological issues, then everybody would be fine with that. It's these very gray area anxiety ones where I think people are calling bull
I was referring to your post about enclosed spaces and how the situations I described could also be problematic if disabled people with that problem looked at everything as "the sky is falling". I pointed out that we have enough challenges and don't go looking for "what ifs".

jaklgreen

They also (likely) have APs’ actual history of wait/ride data (measure from tap points to ride photos?) and know all the times they waited 30+ minutes for various A list attractions. Are you going to feel confident suing Disney over AQR if they can point to your actual history in the parks, and risk getting banned if they catch you lying?

There have been rumors that Disney had a huge problem with local APs and cast members liberally using DAS— we have seen this month that ride waits were lower on days when locals were blocked out at MK… so it makes sense they would get the highest benefit from increasing enforcement against the heaviest capacity users/abusers. If a family that visits 4 days every other year is approved for a DAS, it doesn’t impact Disney’s operations much. If a DAS holder local AP who comes 50 days a year with 4-5 friends gets approved, it’s at least 10x as much strain on the system.
I have absolutely zero problem with this. If they tracked me, they would see that I am in the restroom a good chunk of my day. That many times, I walk from one restroom to the next. I actually welcome it because it seems that Disney thinks that everyone is lying so I am happy for them to actually see how few rides I go on and how much of their toilet paper that I am using. LOL

jaklgreen

If they’re the same thing, why would the person need DAS?
Why have 2 versions of DAS? The going up to the cast member is the older way that was annoying to both the guest and the cast member. I don't think that you are making the point that you think that you are making.

Angel Ariel

I'm not sure what good it does to establish all of the variances in disabilities unless the argument is that Disney has to accommodate everyone with DAS because no one can ever exactly match each various disability to the correct accommodation and no more. And I'm pretty sure no one is saying that; if they are, it's a useless argument since they have already decided not to do so.
Correct, no one is saying that. 😊

Specific examples keep being brought in supposedly as examples of cheating, hypocrisy, or just straight up saying things like well if someone has x disability then i don't understand why they would do y thing.

This train started with simply trying to explain that the examples given aren't necessarily hypocrisy or cheating, and that nondisabled people should not be assuming what disabled people can or can't do based on very little information - that disabled people have the agency to risk assess for themselves, and not be told by nondisabled people what they can or can't do.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Like what?
like what name? If you go the 'left field' route you can name it anything you want.. just like they pick parking lot names :) The advantage to this system is you can change the program's features without risking needing name changes.. where the more something is named based on the feature, you create coupling.

They probably should have created an umbrella program name... and then named each type of accommodation system.

So you could have the 'Disney Attraction Accommodations Program' and under that you can have many different processes available... some may require screening to be able to to use, some maybe available upon request, some are just available self-service, etc. The 'Disney Attraction Accommodations Program' includes several accommodations options including:
- Alternate Queuing Program - a program to allow guests to request access to a ride w/o using the standard queues. Use is limited to specific criteria and pre-registration is required
- Queue Relief Option - a program to allow guests who may need to excuse themselves from a queue for a medical or family reason and do so without losing their place in line. Guests would return to the queue when the remainder of their party reaches a reunification point in the attraction's queue. Use is available to all guests and is facilitated by Cast Members at each attraction. No pre-registration is required
- Rider Switch Option - a program to allow guests to split their party when some members of the party are unable or unwilling to ride the attraction but need supervision. .. blah blah blah. Use is available to all guests and is facilitated by Cast Members at each attraction. No pre-registration is required
[etc etc etc]

The example above is not meant to be complete or inclusive.. but only to illustrate another way the information could be organized and presented... in a way that makes things look and feel like a unified system of accomodations... a common approach... that everyone is able to leverage... but acknowledge that some programs are limited in use or eligibility.

Chi84

Premium Member
like what name? If you go the 'left field' route you can name it anything you want.. just like they pick parking lot names :) The advantage to this system is you can change the program's features without risking needing name changes.. where the more something is named based on the feature, you create coupling.

They probably should have created an umbrella program name... and then named each type of accommodation system.

So you could have the 'Disney Attraction Accommodations Program' and under that you can have many different processes available... some may require screening to be able to to use, some maybe available upon request, some are just available self-service, etc. The 'Disney Attraction Accommodations Program' includes several accommodations options including:
- Alternate Queuing Program - a program to allow guests to request access to a ride w/o using the standard queues. Use is limited to specific criteria and pre-registration is required
- Queue Relief Option - a program to allow guests who may need to excuse themselves from a queue for a medical or family reason and do so without losing their place in line. Guests would return to the queue when the remainder of their party reaches a reunification point in the attraction's queue. Use is available to all guests and is facilitated by Cast Members at each attraction. No pre-registration is required
- Rider Switch Option - a program to allow guests to split their party when some members of the party are unable or unwilling to ride the attraction but need supervision. .. blah blah blah. Use is available to all guests and is facilitated by Cast Members at each attraction. No pre-registration is required
[etc etc etc]

The example above is not meant to be complete or inclusive.. but only to illustrate another way the information could be organized and presented... in a way that makes things look and feel like a unified system of accomodations... a common approach... that everyone is able to leverage... but acknowledge that some programs are limited in use or eligibility.
Would the Alternate Queuing Program use the term disability? Seems like you’re just hiding the bad news.

Club Cooloholic

[etc etc etc]

The word disabled is being liberally used and applied.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Would the Alternate Queuing Program use the term disability? Seems like you’re just hiding the bad news.
Not in the name... the name is as I used 'Alternate Queuing Program'. Obviously when you talk about criteria and eligibility, etc you get into those kinds of details and pick your words wisely. But my point was more that my approach was different.

I have an inclusive program that embraces all kinds of needs... with labels that don't exclude people. I keep the exclusions to the implementation details. So people can fight over what specific items they can use... but they can't be fighting 'Disney is not providing accommodations!' or 'Disney is excluding the disabled!' -- No, they are providing accommodations, its someone fighting over WHICH accommodation they are being offered.

When Disney uses 'Disability Access Service' - and then very narrowly defines it to exclude many types of Disabilities... it's a self-created problem with labels and expectations that is just ripe for people to pick at the contradicitons.. when just the stupid name is fueling some of their fire. Instead, use a program defiintion that includes everyone, but filters at a lower level. Then people are fighting "I need the Alternate Queuing Access!!" - which doesn't sound as evil and exclusionary as "Disney is excluding valid disabilities from the disability service!"

I mean a large part of this is expectations and how you communicate with people. Choosing your language carefully is important to avoid creating unnecessary work and conflict. Using a label like "Disability Access Service" with such a broad term, that isn't inclusive to that broad term... is problematic. My example was just to illustrate how you can avoid those kinds of toe-jamming mistakes when you work through it fully.

None of this is about providing better access - but this is part of how you manage PR and customer expectations too. Set yourself up for failure.. and you usually reap your rewards :)

Chi84

Premium Member
Not in the name... the name is as I used 'Alternate Queuing Program'. Obviously when you talk about criteria and eligibility, etc you get into those kinds of details and pick your words wisely. But my point was more that my approach was different.

I have an inclusive program that embraces all kinds of needs... with labels that don't exclude people. I keep the exclusions to the implementation details. So people can fight over what specific items they can use... but they can't be fighting 'Disney is not providing accommodations!' or 'Disney is excluding the disabled!' -- No, they are providing accommodations, its someone fighting over WHICH accommodation they are being offered.

When Disney uses 'Disability Access Service' - and then very narrowly defines it to exclude many types of Disabilities... it's a self-created problem with labels and expectations that is just ripe for people to pick at the contradicitons.. when just the stupid name is fueling some of their fire. Instead, use a program defiintion that includes everyone, but filters at a lower level. Then people are fighting "I need the Alternate Queuing Access!!" - which doesn't sound as evil and exclusionary as "Disney is excluding valid disabilities from the disability service!"

I mean a large part of this is expectations and how you communicate with people. Choosing your language carefully is important to avoid creating unnecessary work and conflict. Using a label like "Disability Access Service" with such a broad term, that isn't inclusive to that broad term... is problematic. My example was just to illustrate how you can avoid those kinds of toe-jamming mistakes when you work through it fully.

None of this is about providing better access - but this is part of how you manage PR and customer expectations too. Set yourself up for failure.. and you usually reap your rewards :)
Oh I think taking the word “disability” out of the title and calling it the Disney Attraction Accommodations Program would get more people to look into it and find out about programs like rider switch and return to queue.

I think it would absolutely help getting the many people who didn’t know about rider switch in lines and using that service instead of skipping the ride. Probably do the same for older people who weren’t aware that Disney is fine with them getting into line and then leaving to use the bathroom.

One wonders why Disney didn’t think of this on their own. 😉

flynnibus

Premium Member

Because they don't pay enough for good talent like me :D

Getting more people into the correct bucket is good for everyone. It's good for business, it's good for customers who find things they weren't aware of. If your problem is too much (proper) use breaks things - the system was flawed from the start.

Obviously much of what we are dealing with right now is transitionary trouble. Many will get through the change and settle back down. But I still think Disney's own designed systems are self-defeating and won't be good as is. So you're going to end up with upset disabled people, everyone else upset too because of uncertainties in queues ... and probably upset employees too.

Best part... the change is happening in the heat period of summer where everyone is cranky already. What could possibly go wrong? :)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Renaming the granting of accommodations is a veritable minefield. To be effective and not subject to generating a folklore life of its own, it would need to be generic and non-descriptive, like accommodation card. Not a "pass", not a new acronym, a bland, colorless lifeless item.

Chi84

Premium Member
Because they don't pay enough for good talent like me :D

Getting more people into the correct bucket is good for everyone. It's good for business, it's good for customers who find things they weren't aware of. If your problem is too much (proper) use breaks things - the system was flawed from the start.

Obviously much of what we are dealing with right now is transitionary trouble. Many will get through the change and settle back down. But I still think Disney's own designed systems are self-defeating and won't be good as is. So you're going to end up with upset disabled people, everyone else upset too because of uncertainties in queues ... and probably upset employees too.

Best part... the change is happening in the heat period of summer where everyone is cranky already. What could possibly go wrong? :)
“Self-defeating” is kind.

KrzyKtty

I think using 'disability' is part of their woe... you literally create conflict when you label something broadly, and then tell someone who identifies with that label 'oh, but not you'. It would be better IMO to have a program labeled completely from left field.. or name it based on the type of change it brings if you wanted a functional label. That would focus it on the accomodation, and not the 'audience'. Right now people are wound up over something 'for the disabled' and then having something everyone agrees as 'disabled' being excluded.

Like so much of these changes... its literally Disney setting themselves up for conflict and failure (IMO) with their choices. It's not just 'change is hard...' it's 'these changes are self defeating'...
That's similar to what I was pointing out earlier but probably much better said.

Basil of Baker Street

You absolutely are lumping people together. How even one person experiences anxiety is not a uniform constant. Just like someone may not experience back pain in a uniform manner. Disabilities are not absolutely constant. There are variations. You just keep trying to say “this is disability is only this and any deviation is hypocrisy.”
I may have missed it. What is your proposed solution?

Oh I think taking the word “disability” out of the title and calling it the Disney Attraction Accommodations Program would get more people to look into it and find out about programs like rider switch and return to queue.

I think it would absolutely help getting the many people who didn’t know about rider switch in lines and using that service instead of skipping the ride. Probably do the same for older people who weren’t aware that Disney is fine with them getting into line and then leaving to use the bathroom.

Oddly enough...in their 22 page accessibility planning guide, I believe they call it Accessing Attractions Queues Program.

DAS is just one element in that section of 8 options.

Angel Ariel

How much does that really cut down on abuse? If people were lying to get it before, wouldn’t they keep lying to get it on a different day/trip?
It wasn't about them lying to get it, but about tags being given once and left on forever. Cast members moving strollers weren't checking the dates written on them. Rotating colors is a more visually easy thing for CMs to see if the wrong color tag for the week is on the stroller.

Club Cooloholic

Children are u able to handle heat as well as adults, they are simply less heat tolerant than adults by virtue of their anatomy and inability to sweat as much. I would not be opposed to letting parents of say 12 and under have a return time option for rides with long exposed outdoor queues like Tianas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom