New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

lazyboy97o

The idea that physical barriers were built between some FP and regular lines because of an epidemic of fastpass users "taunting" standby line users is absolute hogwash nonsense. Barriers were built to make it more difficult for people to switch between the lines...
That’s why merge had validation in the form of handing over your FastPass ticket or doing the second tap. The actual physical and visual separation came later and was largely driven by altercations between guests.

Why would anyone be mad at someone who is letting them pass by them in line?
Just take a look at this thread and the flak people are getting for bringing disabled children to the park. Or giving people crap about not really having an issue. Those attitudes we are seeing right here are what would spark comments.

The Mom

Premium Member
That’s why merge had validation in the form of handing over your FastPass ticket or doing the second tap. The actual physical and visual separation came later and was largely driven by altercations between guests.

Just take a look at this thread and the flak people are getting for bringing disabled children to the park. Or giving people crap about not really having an issue. Those attitudes we are seeing right here are what would spark comments.
Along with the response to people with such attitudes. It's not always one-sided, and both sides need to calm down.

nickys

Premium Member
How do you know this?

I have read Disney's name for this new option is called Attraction Queue Re-entry (AQR), but seen very little info on how it will work.
Attraction CMs on here and elsewhere have reported that from their training. However it will vary depending on the ride, since not all rides have LL. Plus some lines will have changes made to them to facilitate it.

ConfettiCupcake

It doesn’t matter much in the scope of this conversation but now you have me curious and questioning my own memory lol, as a user of FP since the introduction of paper I have no recollection of physical barriers not existing at any point in time, or being significantly altered. Which attractions do you mean? Are you just referring to newer attractions that didn’t need to be retrofitted having more obvious separation and not running the two queues side by side?

BalooChicago

Sure but now you’re getting into wants vs needs which isn’t really what accommodations are designed for. 60yo grandpa who needs a bathroom break doesn’t need to stay with his family the entire trip because of his bladder issue, he wants to though… which makes sense.

My family is a party of three. It is my fifteen year old son who has a physical disability. He’s not a “60yo grandpa who needs a bathroom break”.

RTQ means I would spend a significant portion of our trip in a queue by myself, separated from my wife and son. Our “family vacation” will no longer be about family.

JAN J

My family is a party of three. It is my fifteen year old son who has a physical disability. He’s not a “60yo grandpa who needs a bathroom break”.

RTQ means I would spend a significant portion of our trip in a queue by myself, separated from my wife and son. Our “family vacation” will no longer be about family.
With RTQ they give you a return time and scan your tickets, you don't have to wait in line..

Chip Chipperson

This thread is completely unrelated to the behavior you are predicting. If the Return to Line option involved pushing past other guests to meet up with the rest of your party, sure that would lead to comments or confrontations. The scenario with Return to Line seems to be that the group waiting g for the rest of their party will wait at the merge point until the rest of the group gets there, so the other guests in line passing that person would be seeing their wait time drop or remain unaffected by passing the people waiting. What could possibly spur anger in that situation??? "No fair! Why does that guy get to stand around watching as we happily move up towards the ride?!?!" is not a reaction you will ever see. In my nearly 10 years of visiting WDW multiple times per year, there have been plenty of times when I have been in a group where 1 or 2 people fall behind as we enter an attraction queue. Whenever that happens, the rest of us pull off to the side as soon as we notice and let others pass us while we wait for our stragglers to catch up. The only thing anyone has ever said to us in those situations is, "Thank you." But you are insisting that a similar situation will result in heckling or worse in full view of CMs.

MickeyLuv'r

Why on earth would anyone make nasty comments about someone standing back and letting other people pass them. They are literally doing the opposite of cutting in line in that scenario. Your hypothetical of lots of people passing them and "making nasty comments" is just not reality, especially given that they are going to be standing very near a CM.
I have had that happen to me. I can think of times when I stopped to tie a shoe, and let people pass me, but then when I stood up to rejoin the queue people got y with me. And the situation had nothing to do with DAS.

For what it is worth, it baffles me too.

The stroller parking area on the Safari ride often gets weird when people try to rejoin the queue after parking their strollers.

Drdcm

I wasn’t talking about your specific situation. I was just providing an example of how accommodations are determined and handled.

For you, if you apply for DAS I would make sure you discuss the negative impacts and consequences being separated from your family will cause. They may very well grant it to you.

Last edited:

Chip Chipperson

I have had that happen to me. I can think of times when I stopped to tie a shoe, and let people pass me, but then when I stood up to rejoin the queue people got y with me. And the situation had nothing to do with DAS.

For what it is worth, it baffles me too.

The stroller parking area on the Safari ride often gets weird when people try to rejoin the queue after parking their strollers.
But that's not the same scenario. What you described is someone passing you because you stopped and then getting upset when you tried to get back in front of them. Same deal with the strollers. People don't pay attention to those around them and think someone is trying to cut when they are just catching up to their party after parking the stroller. In the Return to Line situation, you would never get back in front if the people passing you, so there wouldn't be any confusion causing someone to get mad at you.

lazyboy97o

It doesn’t matter much in the scope of this conversation but now you have me curious and questioning my own memory lol, as a user of FP since the introduction of paper I have no recollection of physical barriers not existing at any point in time, or being significantly altered. Which attractions do you mean? Are you just referring to newer attractions that didn’t need to be retrofitted having more obvious separation and not running the two queues side by side?
Mission: SPACE is an obvious, not very elegant example. The queues are primarily all located in one open room and there are partial height walls just right there at merge.

lazyboy97o

This thread is completely unrelated to the behavior you are predicting. If the Return to Line option involved pushing past other guests to meet up with the rest of your party, sure that would lead to comments or confrontations. The scenario with Return to Line seems to be that the group waiting g for the rest of their party will wait at the merge point until the rest of the group gets there, so the other guests in line passing that person would be seeing their wait time drop or remain unaffected by passing the people waiting. What could possibly spur anger in that situation??? "No fair! Why does that guy get to stand around watching as we happily move up towards the ride?!?!" is not a reaction you will ever see. In my nearly 10 years of visiting WDW multiple times per year, there have been plenty of times when I have been in a group where 1 or 2 people fall behind as we enter an attraction queue. Whenever that happens, the rest of us pull off to the side as soon as we notice and let others pass us while we wait for our stragglers to catch up. The only thing anyone has ever said to us in those situations is, "Thank you." But you are insisting that a similar situation will result in heckling or worse in full view of CMs.
People will learn that people waiting at merge didn’t actually wait in the standby. Jerks would then make comments about the person waiting faking or being too cheap/poor to buy Lightning Lane access.

And again, worse did happen in full view of Cast Members. There was heckling and altercations from both queues. This isn’t something unique to Disney either.

TrojanUSC

The idea that physical barriers were built between some FP and regular lines because of an epidemic of fastpass users "taunting" standby line users is absolute hogwash nonsense. Barriers were built to make it more difficult for people to switch between the lines...

Switching lines is def a factor, but I would actually go so far as to say it was the that it was the reverse... people in the regular standby lines harassing people who had FP+ thinking they were cheating the system or getting special treatment. It happened ALL THE TIME in the early days of FP 1.0.

Vegas Disney Fan

But that's not the same scenario. What you described is someone passing you because you stopped and then getting upset when you tried to get back in front of them. Same deal with the strollers. People don't pay attention to those around them and think someone is trying to cut when they are just catching up to their party after parking the stroller. In the Return to Line situation, you would never get back in front if the people passing you, so there wouldn't be any confusion causing someone to get mad at you.
Your party will be joining you at some point and at that point they’ll be ”cutting” in front of the person standing behind you, if they limit that to 2 people I don’t see it being an issue but if 1 person is standing in line and 4 or 5 join them at the merge point it’s going to cause issues.

This isn’t that dissimilar to what happens now, if 1 person jumps out of line to use the restroom and then catches up to their group no one really cares, when a group of 3-4 are pushing their way through a line to catch up to their 1 friend in line it feels like cutting.

Until we know how Disney is going to handle the merge I don’t think any of us know how others in line will react.

Fido Chuckwagon

However it will vary depending on the ride, since not all rides have LL.
How many attractions though:
1. Don’t have a Lightning Lane;
2. Build up a real line;
3. Don’t have an easy line skip entry point (like peoplemover);
4. Are not a show; and
5. Are not a Character Meet & Greet?

Because only an attraction that meets all of the above criteria for line-reentry could pose a problem. For attractions that never build up a real line it won’t matter (Carousel of Progress, Treehouse, etc); Attractions like peoplemover with an easy line re-entry point won’t be a problem, basically every show all you are ever waiting for is the next show, and character meet & greets aren’t really a problem because if you’re meeting a party up ahead you’re not actually adding to anyone’s wait since those are by party and not person.

I can’t think of any attractions that are going to be a problem, can you?

Fido Chuckwagon

I have been to Disney World 17 times and have never waited in a line that was more than 30 minutes posted. My children aren’t disabled but my youngest sure as heck won’t wait in a line longer than that. Just bite the bullet and buy genie+ and learn how to use it well. You can still have a very enjoyable time and not separate from your family. You’re already spending thousands of dollars to go to WDW, it would be crazy not to put in the extra few hundred to enjoy it. Genie+ is annoying because it costs extra, but it is not a bad product. If you use it well you don’t need to spend your day crisscrossing and you can stack your return times for quick hits if you can’t handle the parks for long periods.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom