New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

BalooChicago

I have been to Disney World 17 times and have never waited in a line that was more than 30 minutes posted. My children aren’t disabled but my youngest sure as heck won’t wait in a line longer than that. Just bite the bullet and buy genie+ and learn how to use it well. You can still have a very enjoyable time and not separate from your family. You’re already spending thousands of dollars to go to WDW, it would be crazy not to put in the extra few hundred to enjoy it.
I’ve bought Genie+ on every trip that it has been available. I don’t see your point. Genie+ is not DAS.

Fido Chuckwagon

I have had that happen to me. I can think of times when I stopped to tie a shoe, and let people pass me, but then when I stood up to rejoin the queue people got y with me. And the situation had nothing to do with DAS.

For what it is worth, it baffles me too.

The stroller parking area on the Safari ride often gets weird when people try to rejoin the queue after parking their strollers.
Ok, but RTQ is going to be at the merge point. A cast member will literally direct you to go forward in the same way that they alternate between standby and LL.

BalooChicago

I am thinking about this.

You do not need to "qualify" for RTQ, so anyone can use it.
So I enter any standby, wait a few minutes.
5 minutes later I tell CM I need RTQ
BOOM - I get a sweet return time, no waiting needed.

Is this the new cheat code?
Yeah, I can’t imagine that being how RTQ works, as it would seemingly make the issues with DAS worse.

Fido Chuckwagon

I’ve bought Genie+ on every trip that it has been available. I don’t see your point. Genie+ is not DAS.
You’re right, DAS is far superior to Genie+. However you were lamenting how you’re now going to have to stand in line separate and apart from your wife and child using RTQ and I was merely pointing out that you absolutely do not have to do this. You can get by with just Genie+. I mean this is a board full of people who go to WDW with some frequency, how many attractions do you actually need to get done in a day? My family and I are perfectly happy with 2-4 G+ attractions per day (which is not hard to pull off) plus other attractions that don’t get a line or need Genie+ or DAS.

Angel Ariel

Your party will be joining you at some point and at that point they’ll be ”cutting” in front of the person standing behind you, if they limit that to 2 people I don’t see it being an issue but if 1 person is standing in line and 4 or 5 join them at the merge point it’s going to cause issues.

This isn’t that dissimilar to what happens now, if 1 person jumps out of line to use the restroom and then catches up to their group no one really cares, when a group of 3-4 are pushing their way through a line to catch up to their 1 friend in line it feels like cutting.

Until we know how Disney is going to handle the merge I don’t think any of us know how others in line will react.
And this doesn't take into account how mobility users (whether wheelchairs, strollers as a wheelchair, or ECVs, gait trainers) - will physically be able to get *out* of line, or how people at the merge will be able to get past them while they wait for their party to catch up. These mobility devices typically take up most if not all of the queue width.

Angel Ariel

Yeah, I can’t imagine that being how RTQ works, as it would seemingly make the issues with DAS worse.
Another site clarified there are two procedures -

AQR, Attraction Queue Re-entry, which is when you have to leave a queue while in it and come back to the LL merge and wait for your party to catch up.

RTQ, Return to Queue, is when the CM at the attraction gives you a return time rather than going through the AQR process. My understanding is this is supposed to be used sparingly with AQR in play.

pigglewiggle

Another site clarified there are two procedures -

AQR, Attraction Queue Re-entry, which is when you have to leave a queue while in it and come back to the LL merge and wait for your party to catch up.

RTQ, Return to Queue, is when the CM at the attraction gives you a return time rather than going through the AQR process. My understanding is this is supposed to be used sparingly with AQR in play.

On paper, sounds good

Angel Ariel

Does this happen? It sounds unlikely.
It hasn't previously - but if the majority of DAS users are now being denied and told to use AQR as their accommodation, is it not reasonable to think backups can happen at the merge with AQR? It wouldn't even take 20-30 people. Even 10 would be problematic to have everyone trying to walk past while the 10 wait for their party. Those queues aren't exactly wide. While more will be single people, those for whom the former DAS user now needing AQR is a child it will be 2 people waiting at the merge for that party

Chi84

Premium Member
It hasn't previously - but if the majority of DAS users are now being denied and told to use AQR as their accommodation, is it not reasonable to think backups can happen at the merge with AQR? It wouldn't even take 20-30 people. Even 10 would be problematic to have everyone trying to walk past while the 10 wait for their party. Those queues aren't exactly wide. While more will be single people, those for whom the DAS user needing AQR is a child it will be 2 people waiting at the merge for that party
Maybe but I get the feeling people are going out of their way to imagine worst-case scenarios.

Angel Ariel

Maybe but I get the feeling people are going out of their way to imagine worst-case scenarios.
Honestly I'm not imagining worst case - I'm picturing just me and DD with her adaptive stroller - which is bigger than typical strollers . She's the current DAS user, so she'd be the one we'd be using AQR for if we don't qualify for DAS (won't know til Jan 2025 at the earliest). It's not worst case to say if we're denied DAS she will end up using AQR, so it would be her and I waiting at the merge. It's a struggle to maneuver the adaptive strollers much more so than typical strollers. I'm honestly wondering how the heck people would get by the adapted stroller we've rented down there in the past, as it typically takes up the width of the queue space rather easily.

Angel Ariel

I could see that because didn't DAS users take up a large percentage of LLs? If 5-8 former DAS users are in line with 4 guests, that's 20 - 32 people at the merge point. Probably won't happen every day but during busier times, it could.
The guests wouldn't be with them at the merge, just the AQR person (and maybe +1 caregiver if they are a minor or can't be left alone). The rest of the party would be waiting in standby.

Chi84

Premium Member
Honestly I'm not imagining worst case - I'm picturing just me and DD with her adaptive stroller - which is bigger than typical strollers - and wondering how the heck people would get by it as it typically takes up the width of the queue space rather easily. She's the current DAS user, so she'd be the one we'd be using AQR for if we don't qualify for DAS (won't know til Jan 2025 at the earliest). It's not worst case to say if we're denied DAS she will end up using AQR, so it would be her and I waiting at the merge. It's a struggle to maneuver the adaptive strollers much more so than typical strollers.
I was referring more to large numbers of people leaving all at once, along with fights breaking out in lines. I suppose anything is possible but maybe it would be better to wait to see how the new accommodations work instead of so much hypothesizing.

TrojanUSC

I could see that because didn't DAS users take up a large percentage of LLs? If 5-8 former DAS users are in line with 4 guests, that's 20 - 32 people at the merge point. Probably won't happen every day but during busier times, it could.

You’re only going to be able to bring one guest with you. It defeats the entire purpose and increases abuse if your whole party (or most it) can join you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom