New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chi84

Premium Member
No, but Disney announcing that they are hiring healthcare professionals is obviously intended to create the impressing of it being people with a more practical medical background.

This is not always true, especially in regards to physical disabilities. Disney knows they attraction more people with disabilities and they know they don’t have enough parking and hotel rooms available. They choose to stick with the minimums. Disney’s attitude regarding physical disabilities has become too much of thinking they’ve fully addressed physically disabilities by following code minimum.
Until today they were giving DAS to people with physical disabilities. How is that the minimum required by code?

Tom P.

I'm a park greeter. It is not ideal for my heat intolerance but I used to work active roles in the sun and this is far safer for me.
Wow. I mean, there is "heat" and then there is "standing on the surface of the sun," which is roughly what Walt Disney World is in July. I'm surprised they have not accommodated you with an indoor position. Even in a shaded area, I can't imagine that being outdoors anywhere at WDW would be very bearable for someone with heat tolerance issues.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So we used return to line for a bathroom break in 2016 at the Imagination theatre for the Pixar shorts (don't judge me).

We had just missed the movie startime and stood in the lobby for a few minutes before deciding to run to the bathroom before it started. I was passing a kidney stone, a not-uncommon occurrence for me since I have a chronic condition.

We told the cast member at the door, and he said it wouldn't be a problem because we still had 7 minutes or so. As we left, another castmember in the lobby walked over to him and she shot me a really unpleasant look.

We ran to the bathroom and were back in less than 5 minutes, and the guy cast member gave me a high 5 as we walked past him and said, "You made it!"

A short line of 12-odd people had lined up at the theatre doors inside the lobby by now, so we joined them. The cast member who had shot me the ugly look was ushering people in, but when she got to us at the end of tge line, she triumphantly (no other word for it) closed the doors in our faces and said the 2 of us had not made it in time.

I had never met or seen her before, and I'm always nice to people since I worked retail as a cashier for many years and know firsthand how awful people can be to service workers. I also know when people are being unpleasant just because they can, and she totally was.

The meaness of our bad interaction really put a shadow over our day, and we didn't go back to the movie during that visit because we didn't want to run into her again.

I'm worried about this new 'Return to Line' system putting the burden on line staff because of the abuse, but also because a cast member having a bad day could potentially take it out on a guest with a serious medical condition and deny them a pass for a break, with possibly life-threatening consequences.
That would have been the time to call for a supervisor.

sylasink

In the Parks
Yes
For anyone who thinks Disney's record with being ADA compliant is pristine, I wish I could tell you the horrors of being a disabled CM, and what I and other disabled CMs have been put through. It's driving me away from the company. To keep it discreet and minimal so I'm not violating my company contract, they do barely enough to legally comply, but the stories I can tell you would make you punch holes through the wall. It is driving me away from the company I wanted to make a lifelong career with. I'm 27.

Fido Chuckwagon

Wow. I mean, there is "heat" and then there is "standing on the surface of the sun," which is roughly what Walt Disney World is in July. I'm surprised they have not accommodated you with an indoor position. Even in a shaded area, I can't imagine that being outdoors anywhere at WDW would be very bearable for someone with heat tolerance issues.
Yeah, I am not disabled but I definitely am not in good enough shape to stand outside in WDW in July or August between 1 and 4 for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. I don’t know how people in good health manage to do this let alone people who have heat related health conditions. I especially have no idea how the costumed characters aren’t constantly passing out.

Alice a

Thanks for the backwards compliment. I've seen someone pass out in line in front of me and it scared the bejesus out of me.

Bodies can be delicate. The older I get, the more I realize how stupid little things can have big health impacts, and I'm relatively healthy.

Edited to add- I though this wasn't just for bathroom breaks? Isn't it for all disabilities, including diabetes, that aren't developmental? Or did I misread?

There have been a lot of hyperbolic statements in this thread but “cast member might deny someone a bathroom pass and kill them” definitely takes the cake.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Until today they were giving DAS to people with physical disabilities. How is that the minimum required by code?
They were not always and they were not supposed to. They had become more lax over the years but like now, people with physical disabilities were supposed to be directed to mobility devices.

Even then, a DAS doesn’t exactly help with something like taking shower.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Hence why i said re rides are the issue. Reduce party size and get rid of pre books solves some issues which they have done. I find it funny people think lines are gonna miraculously disappear
That's not the problem they are solving , they are working on the required ratio of standby to LL to meet operation goals and improve overall guest satisfaction. If you have been on this thread since the beginning, you would understand that DAS utilization of the LL is unplanned capacity utilization which requires increasing the wait of the standby line.

Disstevefan1

Any real impact from this isn’t going to be felt until June 20th at least.
In the end, when all the previous folks who got into the Lighting lane queue via DAS will now be in the SAME Lighting lane using G+ and ILL

While yes, some folks will simply give up and not go to the park, I think that will only a fraction of folks and the queues wont change much in my opinion.

The good news? Disney will be making MONEY!

Jcf8037

The reaction to these operational changes by some who have become used to the DAS system does little more than prove that Disney has gone beyond what’s necessary in accommodating people. The DAS users have received a superior experience in the parks to those guests who do not use it. I leave the parks early when it’s unbearably hot; I don’t join lines that are excessive in wait time- this often leads to situations where I don’t get to ride everything I’d like to. THAT is the “typical” experience. Disney has provided an experience to DAS users that insulated them from disappointment or the inability to ride something they wished to ride. The typical guest doesn’t get that option.

I’d fight for that too- because my experience would be changed for the worse if they took it away. But the reality is, this disappointment is born from the reality that DAS users have been given the opportunity to have a superior park experience vs a typical one. In all likelihood , the vast majority of people who are concerned will see their experience is still just as enjoyable and feasible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom