New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

hopemax

We don't know the effects on the standby or LL yet and won't know for ~30 days.

The thing is if less people are using DAS, that ride capacity either goes to standby (line moves quicker/shorter line), LL (more slots available, more likely to get a high demand attraction), or some combination of the two.

If DAS numbers do not drop, it won't have any affect.
Although, if people did not register in advance, planning to just ask guest services when they arrived, we will start seeing those people enter the new system, directed to online where they are approved/denied today. June will be when the effect is most clear, but it should start trickling in... especially the locals not used to doing things in advance, and not actively following this on Disney social media.

ditzee

Our grandchildren are so anxious to see this park! We might go next year. Depends because my husband and I decided that when the children reach 5th grade, we're taking them to DC and Williamsburg. In 2025, this trip will only be our eldest grandchild.
Have to talk my husband, T., into Universal. He does like it better than WDW so fingers crossed. T. want us to start traveling more by ourselves - thinking about Yellowstone. Can I talk him into 3 trips in 1 year, lol. I'm an optimist so I'll try!

Purduevian

Although, if people did not register in advance, planning to just ask guest services when they arrived, we will start seeing those people enter the new system, directed to online where they are approved/denied today. June will be when the effect is most clear, but it should start trickling in... especially the locals not used to doing things in advance, and not actively following this on Disney social media.
True if it will have any affects it will probably be a sliding scale with a step change both today and in 30 days. Still way too early to draw any Park Ops conclusions.

Indy_UK

It isn’t diagnosis based.
Just as not everyone with Autism will get it, not everyone with PTSD will get it either.

I struggle to understand then what Disney uses to make the decisions then? Buzz words like meltdown or abusive to others from a child who suffers with ADHD or Autism?

Almost like I couldn't say things like my son is on medication for ADHD because they will then assume that it's preventing anything like a meltdown and he can wait in the standby lines?

Chi84

Premium Member
I struggle to understand then what Disney uses to make the decisions then? Buzz words like meltdown or abusive to others from a child who suffers with ADHD or Autism?

Almost like I couldn't say things like my son is on medication for ADHD because they will then assume that it's preventing anything like a meltdown and he can wait in the standby lines?
I think you might have to explain why the medication doesn’t prevent it.

Happyday

Please do not answer this question but what does a meltdown look like. This is the type of question they may ask. I am begging everyone to think about this and follow the questions they ask and be honest this is how they are figuring this out. Blanket statements like meltdown are not going to be their last question. I really want to spell it out but there are abuse out there and I know this is difficult on all of us I wish our society wasn't so everyone is out to get you or it's not fair that they get that 'advantage' but it is. I wish people would understand it is not easy for individuals with disabilities on a daily basis and have some compassion but alas here we are.

Splash4eva

The only problem it needed to solve was the problem of 8 percent of guests using 70 percent of ride capacity. It seems like it is already well on its way to solving that problem.
That problem is solved in plenty of ways other than just telling people no…

Reducing party size. Getting rid of pre books. Again. Re rides are a major issue. And again i would say that 70% is an outlier not a norm. Either way expect Genie to take that up anyways so

pdude81

That problem is solved in plenty of ways other than just telling people no…

Reducing party size. Getting rid of pre books. Again. Re rides are a major issue. And again i would say that 70% is an outlier not a norm. Either way expect Genie to take that up anyways so
At least as of now, Genie+ has fixed capacity that couldn't absorb that.

Ayla

I’ve already seen posts on facebook of people being denied all of a sudden claiming that they are neurodivergent. Looking for an appeals process. Maybe they are. But it’s weird how the tunes are changing.
I hope you aren't surprised.

Batman'sParents

This is just a reminder that the ticketing and reservation cast members on the phones or frontline cast in the park are doing their best to help guests. The ticketing and reservation cast don't work with DAS and are not as familiar with it.

Alice a

I also predicted weeks ago (and it sounds like this is probably how they are leaning) that attractions staff will be empowered, on a case by case basis, to give someone who needs to leave the line and is a solo traveler (or caregiver for the only other person in the line with them) a return time, provided that person has first at least attempted to wait in the standby line before leaving. Will this still be abused? Sure, but it will definitely reduce abuse.
So we used return to line for a bathroom break in 2016 at the Imagination theatre for the Pixar shorts (don't judge me).

We had just missed the movie startime and stood in the lobby for a few minutes before deciding to run to the bathroom before it started. I was passing a kidney stone, a not-uncommon occurrence for me since I have a chronic condition.

We told the cast member at the door, and he said it wouldn't be a problem because we still had 7 minutes or so. As we left, another castmember in the lobby walked over to him and she shot me a really unpleasant look.

We ran to the bathroom and were back in less than 5 minutes, and the guy cast member gave me a high 5 as we walked past him and said, "You made it!"

A short line of 12-odd people had lined up at the theatre doors inside the lobby by now, so we joined them. The cast member who had shot me the ugly look was ushering people in, but when she got to us at the end of tge line, she triumphantly (no other word for it) closed the doors in our faces and said the 2 of us had not made it in time.

I had never met or seen her before, and I'm always nice to people since I worked retail as a cashier for many years and know firsthand how awful people can be to service workers. I also know when people are being unpleasant just because they can, and she totally was.

The meaness of our bad interaction really put a shadow over our day, and we didn't go back to the movie during that visit because we didn't want to run into her again.

I'm worried about this new 'Return to Line' system putting the burden on line staff because of the abuse, but also because a cast member having a bad day could potentially take it out on a guest with a serious medical condition and deny them a pass for a break, with possibly life-threatening consequences.

lazyboy97o

No business needs to employ a medical professional to evaluate ADA accommodation requests. That is ludicrous.
No, but Disney announcing that they are hiring healthcare professionals is obviously intended to create the impressing of it being people with a more practical medical background.

Disney has always done more than was necessary. That’s what led it to the current situation.
This is not always true, especially in regards to physical disabilities. Disney knows they attraction more people with disabilities and they know they don’t have enough parking and hotel rooms available. They choose to stick with the minimums. Disney’s attitude regarding physical disabilities has become too much of thinking they’ve fully addressed physically disabilities by following code minimum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom