New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

ditzee

So spending a day at a Disney theme park is his chosen entertainment option?
Can't speak for the man in the post. Since I have what seems a similar condition, I'll tell you that we're taking our grandchildren, so yes, this is my chosen entertainment option for this trip. That said, we leave or I will leave by 1pm or earlier because I know my limitations. That means by 1pm, I will need to rest or else I will not have the ability to go to any other parks the rest of the trip.

Section106

We plan on taking a cane with a seat and hope that they allow that so that if we are in line and he needs to sit down he can.
My late Mother took a foldable tripod seat before she had to use a walker. MK allowed the seat in but DHS didn't. The Head of Security told me it was up to his discretion and he wouldn't allow my Mother to use it in his park. So I rented her a scooter for the rest of our vacation.

If you take a seat be prepared to leave it with security. I also just looked at the WDW website and it states that a cane with a seat MAY be allowed. I suspect it is up to who is working that day. Which will lead to more confusion and frustration now that DAS is only for developmental disabilities, like autism.

Retiredlife60

I
So spending a day at a Disney theme park is his chosen entertainment option?
yes, it is. It is not something we get to do all the time. We are going with our children and our grandchildren for the first time. we used to take our children when they were young and would like to be able to see the joy on our grandchildren faces. He is willing to go through the pain in order to do that. And he is in a lot of pain.

TrainsOfDisney

The Head of Security told me it was up to his discretion and he wouldn't allow my Mother to use it in his park.
#1. Absolutely ridiculous way for them to handle the situation. I’m very sorry. Not that you wanted to take the time but you should have escalated it to a manger above him (not security - but an entrance, ticketing, or guest relations)

#2. Shouldn’t that be illegal since the seat is needed to accommodate a disability?

ditzee

My late Mother took a foldable tripod seat before she had to use a walker. MK allowed the seat in but DHS didn't. The Head of Security told me it was up to his discretion and he wouldn't allow my Mother to use it in his park. So I rented her a scooter for the rest of our vacation.

If you take a seat be prepared to leave it with security. I also just looked at the WDW website and it states that a cane with a seat MAY be allowed. I suspect it is up to who is working that day. Which will lead to more confusion and frustration now that DAS is only for developmental disabilities, like autism.
I brought my rollator last November and I was allowed to use it in every park. If you aren't familiar, it's a walker with a seat. The seat is also convenient because it lifts and there's a pocket beneath we used to keep the grandchildren's insulated water bottles stored throughout the day.

Epcot81Fan

No need to be rude.
Not rude at all, just clarifying what seems to be an odd choice.

There are plenty of things that bring me pain and I do not go out of my way to do those things as my entertainment.

I find it a fascinating dynamic to intentionally subject oneself to such suffering to go to a theme park.

To each their own….

Angel Ariel

I

yes, it is. It is not something we get to do all the time. We are going with our children and our grandchildren for the first time. we used to take our children when they were young and would like to be able to see the joy on our grandchildren faces. He is willing to go through the pain in order to do that. And he is in a lot of pain.
And he has every right to make that choice without others questioning it.

Section106

#1. Absolutely ridiculous way for them to handle the situation. I’m very sorry. Not that you wanted to take the time but you should have escalated it to a manger above him (not security - but an entrance, ticketing, or guest relations)

#2. Shouldn’t that be illegal since the seat is needed to accommodate a disability?

I was directed to him after going to Guest Relations. He wasn't very understanding. He didn't appreciate my (not abusive) persistence and even intimated that he could have me removed. Come to think it, I've had a few frustrating days at WDW. Oh well. The good outweighs the bad.

The Mom

Premium Member

There are plenty of things that bring me pain and I do not go out of my way to do those things as my entertainment.

I find it a fascinating dynamic to intentionally subject oneself to such suffering to go to a theme park.

To each their own….
I still think it was a rude response.

Purduevian

My husband is totally disabled with a back injury. Has been for a number of years. Has had back surgeries which have made him worse. A mobility device does not work for him because his back hurts if he sits too long, stands too long or walks for extended periods. We know that he will not qualify for DAS because it’s a mobility issue. We plan on taking a cane with a seat and hope that they allow that so that if we are in line and he needs to sit down he can. I guess the point I’m trying to make is a mobility device is not always the answer for people with certain conditions like my husbands. It would be nice if they have something for these type of issues.
Honest question, if he had DAS, how would he be spending his time while waiting for a return? Is it like 2-10 mins of sitting, standing, randomly based on how he is feeling?

I am curious if this accommodation would help? He wouldn't be able to walk around, but could stand/sit as he pleases while in line and not need to haul a wheelchair around all day. This option is available today and does not require DAS.
I do not know what Disney's plan is. However, my Father in Law hurt his knee on our DHS day and was unable to stand for more than ~15 minutes or walk more that ~10 minutes. I knew DAS existed and explained the situation to the blue umbrella person.

The accommodation that we could have received was that in each land/on major E-ticket rides, they have wheelchairs they can bring out and the person can sit down/standup while in line using the wheel chair, then leave it with a cast member while boarding the ride.

This was a fair accommodation that would have allowed my FIL to ride any ride with us all day. He did refuse to use the wheel chair and thus chilled at Baseline tab house and watched beauty and the beast while the rest of us rode rides.

DisneyHead123

To each their own….
I mean, you clearly feel some level of upset about the lines in the park, but your response wasn't to say "Oh well, something negative is happening in my otherwise positive experience, I'll never go again." Almost nothing in life is an absolute.

People with chronic pain are going to have to deal with that pain no matter where they are. At least at Disney grandparents can share a wonderful experience with their children and grandchildren, be surrounded by beauty, have a great time, etc.

I am all for calling out people who do not actually need DAS. And I am even open to the idea that DAS abuse is more prevalent than I realized or assumed, based on what people here have said. But elderly patrons, the disabled, and those with health problems - where there is absolutely no question that they have a legitimate need - have every right to be at the parks. Saying DAS shouldn't be abused and insinuating only the young, fit, neurotypical and healthy should even be in the parks at all are totally different things.

lazyboy97o

Honest question, if he had DAS, how would he be spending his time while waiting for a return? Is it like 2-10 mins of sitting, standing, randomly based on how he is feeling?

I am curious if this accommodation would help? He wouldn't be able to walk around, but could stand/sit as he pleases while in line and not need to haul a wheelchair around all day. This option is available today and does not require DAS.
How does this help with the need to move at times?

Happyday

My husband is totally disabled with a back injury. Has been for a number of years. Has had back surgeries which have made him worse. A mobility device does not work for him because his back hurts if he sits too long, stands too long or walks for extended periods. We know that he will not qualify for DAS because it’s a mobility issue. We plan on taking a cane with a seat and hope that they allow that so that if we are in line and he needs to sit down he can. I guess the point I’m trying to make is a mobility device is not always the answer for people with certain conditions like my husbands. It would be nice if they have something for these type of issues.
From Walt Disney World website as suggestions for managing waiting in queues. See highlighted area.
1000002971.png

Purduevian

How does this help with the need to move at times?
That was my question. I do not know this person's situation. If they are ok sitting and standing on rotation without walking around, this could be a solution. If they need to move, stretch, ect. This does not help. Every case is unique and I hope Disney has enough accommodation buckets/tiers that gives people the accommodation they require with minimal disruption to park operations.

Happyday

Unfortunately people have also abused these types of seats so they are banned however there are other options on their website. I posted a screenshot on the OP

Happyday

This topic seems to bring out a lot of rudeness and snark. Please stop. Thank you.
Yes the rudeness and snark seems to be brought out on this topic. Everyone needs to understand that everyone is an individual with unique issues and priorities please stop assuming everyone is like you and makes the same decisions as you.
Thank you for trying to keep us grounded. We all get heated over things myself included.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom