New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Happyday

Yes as I posted earlier, none of the WDW parks had no problem with the rollator integrated seat. Below is an example of mine:
Exactly any mobility device has to be allowed. We have used this in the past as well. That is the difference between 'folding chairs' which are not allowed and seats on mobility devices.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240516-165448.png
    Screenshot_20240516-165448.png
    167 KB · Views: 25

dreamfinder912

Can we just stop with figuring out how DAS will or won't hurt someone with a disability? If someone wants to take my pain and then, with no pain, I can stand in the regular line or use Genie for an LL, I would love it. Oh and be sure to ask the doc for the morphine script I was offered. I refused it but hey maybe you might want it.

Unless you're in the position of the person who has the disability, no matter what it is, you cannot know what will help or harm. Disney can try the changes and hopefully they'll work for everyone. I'm sure tweaking will be necessary.

It seems pretty heartless that some resent the fact that some Disney guests actually need DAS. Now, the cheaters, I think they should be banned for life, IF they're caught.
Thank you for articulating this so wonderfully. I wouldn't wish my situation on anyone but I'd happily donate it to someone who thinks they'd prefer live with it to "skip the line."

DrummerAlly

Okay, admittedly, I haven’t read the 288 pages of discussion, so please go easy on me.

My 11 year old has an official level 1 autism diagnosis and we typically tour WDW with a DAS. We have never had an issue getting one before. She is a child who doesn’t “look” disabled and is not a severely disabled child, but the stress and excitement of Disney makes waiting in lines truly impossible for her. Do I need to be worried about getting our DAS for our summer trip? We have no issue supplying a doctors note or medical paperwork.

ditzee

Okay, admittedly, I haven’t read the 288 pages of discussion, so please go easy on me.

My 11 year old has an official level 1 autism diagnosis and we typically tour WDW with a DAS. We have never had an issue getting one before. She is a child who doesn’t “look” disabled and is not a severely disabled child, but the stress and excitement of Disney makes waiting in lines truly impossible for her. Do I need to be worried about getting our DAS for our summer trip? We have no issue supplying a doctors note or medical paperwork.
Disney won't take a doctor's note or medical paperwork. I don't think you'll have a problem because according to Disney's verbiage, DAS is made for those with autism.

Chi84

Premium Member

No one knows for certain.

Splash4eva

For those wondering….
The process is still exactly the same & DAS is good for your entire trip even if it goes past the 30 days… they are even still giving you the pre planned rides as well.

Happyday

As someone else said Disney will not take doctor notes or any other documentation. My opinion based on past experience and reading what Disney has stated is... Go into this not focused on the diagnosis, talk to the cast member about the difficulties what does it look like, how does she exhibit her stress, how does it make certain situations difficult, be honest and don't hold back any information you think may be important for them to know. Everyone is unique and an individual I am confident Disney is trying to figure this out and give the best customer service.

Purduevian

I would check back here in about a week, the new rules go into effect in 3 days but I expect the first few days to be confusing and filled with some mixed information. The other thing I would suggest is to try to do the DAS process 30 days out, allowing you about a month to iron out the details of having or not having DAS.

The rumors are that it will be harder to get DAS, but no one but Disney knows who will or won't qualify yet. I wish you and your family all the best on your vacation and hope Disney is able to properly accommodate you whether through DAS or an alternative solution.

lazyboy97o

I would check back here in about a week, the new rules go into effect in 3 days but I expect the first few days to be confusing and filled with some mixed information. The other thing I would suggest is to try to do the DAS process 30 days out, allowing you about a month to iron out the details of having or not having DAS.

The rumors are that it will be harder to get DAS, but no one but Disney knows who will or won't qualify yet. I wish you and your family all the best on your vacation and hope Disney is able to properly accommodate you whether through DAS or an alternative solution.
It is absolutely ridiculous that we are days out and there is still such a vacuum of information. How the line exit options work should be known. The whole point of access is that you know beforehand that it is available. Even the lack of leaks should be concerning as there should have been a good bit of training on how these different new options are actually going to work. The lack of information isn’t going to prevent fraud, it’s just going to create more chaos, confusion and denial of accommodations.

Comped

It is absolutely ridiculous that we are days out and there is still such a vacuum of information. How the line exit options work should be known. The whole point of access is that you know beforehand that it is available. Even the lack of leaks should be concerning as there should have been a good bit of training on how these different new options are actually going to work. The lack of information isn’t going to prevent fraud, it’s just going to create more chaos, confusion and denial of accommodations.
If anything, Disney tactically leaking/putting up trial balloons would have helped them develop a strategy that may actually work, or at the very least get guests knowledgeable about what the future holds.

Splash4eva

In fairness i truly believe they dont have it all figured out. CM should also be trained in parks …

hopemax

I have an online CM friend who has received training on this. They didn’t elaborate too much, but they expect this to be even worse than people have speculated. Despite this looking like taking decisions out of Guest Relations staff hands, because “they aren’t truly qualified to judge who needs what,” what is being setup is putting a lot of the determination into the hands of attraction hosts! Basically it sounds like developmental disabilities, gets the pass and everyone else is at the discretion of person working the attraction. It sounded like everyone should expect tears and confrontations. CM friend is really worried, and very upset that this has been decided by leaders who have no clue how the parks function.

I’ve been reading this thread to see if anyone else had heard anything about what CMs were being told in their training. If others were coming away with the same horror of what they are about to be subjected to. My information is very thin, so I was hoping there would be more leaking.

TrainsOfDisney

CM friend is really worried, and very upset that this has been decided by leaders who have no clue how the parks function.
That was my biggest fear - but hoping they had a plan. To me this whole system sounds like no-clue management decided on a solution without talking to anyone who actually works in the parks or who has various disabilities and needs.

Splash4eva

That was my biggest fear - but hoping they had a plan. To me this whole system sounds like no-clue management decided on a solution without talking to anyone who actually works in the parks or who has various disabilities and needs.
Plan is to sell more Genie+ make the lines just as miserable hope noone request to skip the line and make park cm life more misery…

WDWBigEd

In the Parks
Yes
I have an online CM friend who has received training on this. They didn’t elaborate too much, but they expect this to be even worse than people have speculated. Despite this looking like taking decisions out of Guest Relations staff hands, because “they aren’t truly qualified to judge who needs what,” what is being setup is putting a lot of the determination into the hands of attraction hosts! Basically it sounds like developmental disabilities, gets the pass and everyone else is at the discretion of person working the attraction. It sounded like everyone should expect tears and confrontations. CM friend is really worried, and very upset that this has been decided by leaders who have no clue how the parks function.

I’ve been reading this thread to see if anyone else had heard anything about what CMs were being told in their training. If others were coming away with the same horror of what they are about to be subjected to. My information is very thin, so I was hoping there would be more leaking.

I have been hearing a lot of bad things. I heard firsthand from someone who was being trained on this that their training was very minimal. It left them with a lot more questions than answers. Mixed feelings on if they are just being trained to say no to everyone and send them to the attraction host or if they even have a plan in place for the 20th.

I guess only time will tell. A few more days, and we will know.

TrainsOfDisney

Just like every other change Disney has ever made, people will be angry, then adjust, then accept it as the new normal.
Yes and no - I still think the ticketing change from park hoppers to “magic your way” was a mistake and I don’t like how it has changed the way people visit the WDW resort.

Not trying to go off topic there but that’s a good example of how changes like this can end up having a pretty big effect on the future of the resort and how people experience it.

Fido Chuckwagon

Do I need to be worried about getting our DAS for our summer trip?
No, probably not, as your child is the type of person that the new DAS system is designed/geared towards. Children with developmental disabilities such as autism or similar. What they appear to be trying to crack down on are people with physical disabilities who can utilize a different accommodation than a skip-the-line system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom