New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

The Mom

Premium Member
If you cannot discuss this topic without being rude or insulting to other posters, please do not participate.

This is a situation where many posters have strong feelings, and may let their emotions take over. Understandable, but not allowed. Just as yelling at a poor CM over this change is understandable, but not acceptable. And taking your frustrations out by being rude on a message board is also not acceptable.
Posters were warned, yet some continue to be rude, argumentative, etc. So will no longer be participating.

phillip9698

I will say this, Disney is not in the position to decide who needs what accomodations, and by putting themselves in that position, whether they are a third party or not, is going to cause them much bigger problems and most likely lawsuits in the long run. Disneys recent statement regarding DAS being for developmental disabilities such as austim further highlight their ignorance to who needs DAS.

They literally are. They already decided the GAC accommodations were too much and eliminated them. If they weren’t in the position to decide then everyone would be asking for and obtaining unlimited fast passes, and when that happens nobody wins.

Happyday

which ones are ?
Well.... a lot of the rollercoasters have a seat with a swing away or slide away door for ease of transfer, Tron has cars that are not the motorcycle type (not sure if it has that kind of door we haven't been able to ride yet), many rides you can ride in a wheelchair (Jungle Cruise, Small world, Journey under the sea with Nemo, Little Mermaid, Living with the Land, Three Amigos, Buzz, Toy Story Mania, Safari, I am sure I am missing something) there are transfer devices at Frozen and Speedway (they don't work for us but...)

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

They literally are. They already decided the GAC accommodations were too much and eliminated them. If they weren’t in the position to decide then everyone would be asking for and obtaining unlimited fast passes, and when that happens nobody wins.
Disney doesn’t have to give people whatever they want but they also can’t just offer whatever they want. The objective of the law and regulations is to remove as much gatekeeping as possible. Accommodations are supposed to be available not something people jump through hoops to obtain.

pdude81

That's what I've wondered. If the return to line concept becomes a heavily used option, you will have lots of guests in line wondering why they continue to see people leaving or returning to the line and skipping ahead of them.

It would only make guests frustrated and/or become aware of the return to line policy and perhaps begin to use it as well.

Then we'll get a post from Len about the % of people using the return to line policy and the problems its causing.
I don't understand how more people leaving and returning to the line would cause a major issue, assuming they still had to wait in the line when all is said and done. If they can figure out a way to get that concept to work well, it's a benefit for all guests.

lazyboy97o

I don't understand how more people leaving and returning to the line would cause a major issue, assuming they still had to wait in the line when all is said and done. If they can figure out a way to get that concept to work well, it's a benefit for all guests.
Making people pause their wait is going to be an even bigger logistical nightmare and one with legal issues.

Pushing people back into a queue where they physically left but not in the order of people is going to create a perception of cutting and problems. There is a reason Lightning Lanes (Express Pass queues) are physically separated from the standby queue. You will get altercations.

Someone with issues from prolonging sitting or standing would potentially be stuck never actually making progress in a queue. That’s a problem because it’s creating more of a barrier than it is access.

Section106

Do many of you know how hard and unwelcoming the world is for a wheelchair user? Curbs can be an insurmountable obstacle. Tight switchbacks are hard to navigate. Stairs, forget it. Steep inclines are a nightmare. And able bodied people can be the biggest problem with navigating the environment. I can't tell you how many times people will just grab my wife's chair and move her against her will. People will just walk in front of her as she's trying to move. In my experience the able bodied see wheelchair users as less than. So this promise of a return to line sounds like a nightmare to me. People just don't respect those in a wheelchair.

lazyboy97o

Just thinking outside the box here..but I would think that pretty much everything in WDW is ADA compliant except the ride vehicles themselves..
Since they are not, why would they have to make the wait to get on them ADA compliant ?
I believe that they know this and can do whatever they want based on their own policy's and needs...
been in many DAS groups and not everyone can get on.
While it is the most visible part of the law that people can see and experience, the ADA is much more expansive than just the design of physical spaces.

Splash4eva

We do have some information, though. We know that Rider Swap is available for guests who cannot physically wait in a long queue. For those guests, the benefit is the same: they can wait and do other things if they wish and then return and use the LL when it is their turn to ride. The only change is to the number of people in their party riding together, but since most ride vehicles can only accommodate 2 guests then it's not an unreasonable or unfair change. If they'd rather ride with their entire group or are waiting for a show, the return-to-line feature will be available. We don't yet have the details on how that will work, but it is a far cry from telling disabled guests not to visit. I think it is fair to say that this option will be more than just leaving and returning on your own without any CM assistance. Otherwise, it would be no different than what we have now and not worth mentioning.
How is rider swap working when a single parent travels with a minor child? Im confused… and again for people who will be offered return to queue. Why has Disney NOT put anyone at ease. Its been a month since the announcement give or take. Im sure they have heard the feedback yet still done nothing to put people at ease that may be effected.

Fido Chuckwagon

How is rider swap working when a single parent travels with a minor child? Im confused… and again for people who will be offered return to queue. Why has Disney NOT put anyone at ease. Its been a month since the announcement give or take. Im sure they have heard the feedback yet still done nothing to put people at ease that may be effected.
Most single parents traveling with disabled children will likely still qualify for DAS.

Happyday

Do many of you know how hard and unwelcoming the world is for a wheelchair user? Curbs can be an insurmountable obstacle. Tight switchbacks are hard to navigate. Stairs, forget it. Steep inclines are a nightmare. And able bodied people can be the biggest problem with navigating the environment. I can't tell you how many times people will just grab my wife's chair and move her against her will. People will just walk in front of her as she's trying to move. In my experience the able bodied see wheelchair userscas less than. So this promise of a return to line sounds like a nightmare to me. People just don't respect those in a wheelchair.
I understand your frustration but know that not everyone feels that way. We run into these types of people a lot as well BUT we also find a lot of kind and understanding people.
In Disney the biggest issue we have is people cutting in front of the wheelchair chair because they can't wait a few seconds for us to pass because we are an inconvenience I have lost track of the amount of times someone got a foot rest into their leg. But we also have encountered many guests that are extremely kind. Unfortunately this is why there is an issue.

Section106

I understand your frustration but know that not everyone feels that way. We run into these types of people a lot as well BUT we also find a lot of kind and understanding people.
In Disney the biggest issue we have is people cutting in front of the wheelchair chair because they can't wait a few seconds for us to pass because we are an inconvenience I have lost track of the amount of times someone got a foot rest into their leg. But we also have encountered many guests that are extremely kind. Unfortunately this is why there is an issue.
It's not just at Disney. And of course, the world is full of wonderful people. But it only takes one to mess up your day. We had a chair thrown at us at the tables outside of the Plaza Ice Cream Shop. All the tables were full so I asked my wife and daughter to wait under the shade of the umbrella so that I could find us a place to eat our ice cream. A group was saving space for their friends to watch the fireworks, overheard me say to stay put and started yelling at us to move. I tried to explain and one of them picked up a car and tossed it at my wife to "save"the space. Luckily for them I've been going to therapy for my anger issues and didn't kill em all. If it had hit her I'd probably be a thread topic. I did get security to talk to them though.

Fido Chuckwagon

I suspect the place where these changes are going to have the most impact is on the parties and after-hours events. It’s not like Disney can “sell more genie+” to make up for fewer DAS users in the lightning lanes, so all users should see significantly reduced waits at the parties. We’ll get our first real test at MNSSHP I suppose. Maybe they’ll be able to pull Tron off the VQ for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom