New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Drdcm

Neither had I. I've heard the term "power user" to describe people like myself the go nuts with G+ or previously FP+ modification/refreshing to basically never wait in a standby line. To loop this back around, the kind of day someone like me can get if they get DAS and don't need it would be insane.
I like the term ride pounder… I’m going to start using it.

“Let’s go kids. It’s time to rope drop and ride pound.”

If I want to be a "ride pounder" why can't I enjoy the park the way I want to?

It's not that a DAS user shouldn't be able to "hold" a G+ return time while waiting for DAS. My argument (that Splash agrees is a large advantage) is that a DAS user shouldn't be able to "redeem" a LL while waiting for a DAS return time.

Just like a non-DAS user is unable to wait in a standby line while redeeming a LL.
That makes sense, and that is a good point… that is one way that the non DAS guest is at a disadvantage. I guess it might be challenging to make that work with the genie plus system and return times? But you are right, that would be one way to make it much less attractive to those willing to lie to get the pass.

Purduevian

That makes sense, and that is a good point… that is one way that the non DAS guest is at a disadvantage. I guess it might be challenging to make that work with the genie plus system and return times? But you are right, that would be one way to make it much less attractive to those willing to lie to get the pass.
Looking at this as someone that would abuse the system (as in nothing mentally or physically is stopping them). You could walk into Magic kingdom right now 3:45pm. Put your DAS in from 7D (for a 4:55 return). Grab a 4:35 Space mountain, spend the next 50 mins doing short waits (Mermaid, Dumbo, Tea party are 10, then hit 2 heavy hitters back to back. So in the same time a non-DAS user can hit 7D (even if they bought G+). A DAS abuser could hit Mermaid, Dumbo, Tea party, Space, and 7D
1713728681845.jpeg

TrainsOfDisney

That was not a suggestion, it was an explanation and a comparison.

I’m saying that the reason there is competition for certain things, in this example food, is because some of the items in question are unique. It’s a lot more difficult to ensure 100% of the guests who want sit down japanese/sushi are able to obtain tables at their desired time than to just put chicken tender/hamburger/pizza locations everywhere. Which is what almost every other amusement/theme park does instead of going the Disney route.
It was phrased as a suggestion to solve a problem. The equivalent would be for Disney to not have e-tickets, that way nobody wants to wait in line for the e-tickets.

TrainsOfDisney

So I just booked a trip for June 22-29th, based in part on these developments. I’m kind of excited to see the effect on reigning in DAS poweruser abuse on overall wait times
There are so many things that create overall wait times to be as long as they are. Reduced park hours, reduced in-park live entertainment (both atmosphere and timed shows and parades), reducing attraction staffing when possible (example - fewer jungle cruise boats, closing multiple load stations, etc.)

DAS abuse is one piece to a large puzzle.

Fido Chuckwagon

There are so many things that create overall wait times to be as long as they are. Reduced park hours, reduced in-park live entertainment (both atmosphere and timed shows and parades), reducing attraction staffing when possible (example - fewer jungle cruise boats, closing multiple load stations, etc.)

DAS abuse is one piece to a large puzzle.
Sure, but the numbers posted in this thread indicate that it was a really really large piece of that puzzle. Given that we know DAS users were using up to 71 percent of capacity at popular attractions (and Len Testa seemed to indicate that might be conservative), even eliminating half of the DAS powerusers could increase capacity by a really substantial amount on the most popular rides.

Just looking at Testa’s experiment with Haunted Mansion, that ride has a throughput of 2500 guests per hour I believe. Eliminating half of the DAS powerusers from that ride could free up 875 more slots per hour to go to everyone else. That would have a substantial effect on both G+ availability and standby waits.

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

Not questioning - but where was the math on this?
It’s been posted a lot in this thread, and these estimates are conservative, but:

1. We know from insiders that DAS users were using at least 50-75 percent of lightning lane capacity; and
2. We know from insiders here and all over the place that the LL: standby ratio ranges from 80 percent LL / 20 percent standby to 95 percent LL / 5 percent standby. Multiplying the minimums and maximums of those together gives you 40-71 percent of overall ride capacity on the popular attractions being hoovered up by DAS powerusers.
Again, those numbers are a conservative estimate, it was also posted in this thread that Disney feared that DAS use might approach 100 percent of the LL on Tianas when it opens.

Splash4eva

Looking at this as someone that would abuse the system (as in nothing mentally or physically is stopping them). You could walk into Magic kingdom right now 3:45pm. Put your DAS in from 7D (for a 4:55 return). Grab a 4:35 Space mountain, spend the next 50 mins doing short waits (Mermaid, Dumbo, Tea party are 10, then hit 2 heavy hitters back to back. So in the same time a non-DAS user can hit 7D (even if they bought G+). A DAS abuser could hit Mermaid, Dumbo, Tea party, Space, and 7D
View attachment 780732
What confuses me is how is this abuse?!? Its literally what is allowed and what Disney encourages?!?
People are getting upset and mad at a group of people who on every average day is at a hardship or “disadvantage” to almost everyone in the world. Who would give up everything to be living a life with NO disabilities. Its scary how this thread has gone.

TrainsOfDisney

gives you 40-71 percent of overall ride capacity on the popular attractions being hoovered up by DAS powerusers.
That’s a huge difference.

I’ve seen the DAS lines get pretty backed up for some of the Disneyland dark rides that don’t have any genie or LL - there is no possible way they are using even half as that would mean every other vehicle getting dispatched is DAS and you can see that is not the case. 40% seems way more in line with reality based on what I’ve seen - and that’s not all day, that’s at specific times when the DAS line was super long.

Obviously I can only compare to what I’ve seen, but Peter Pan is the ultimate of popular rides and that’s visible.

Edit to add - I realize Disneyland Park has way more over all attraction Capacity than MK let alone other WDW parks.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

What confuses me is how is this abuse?!? Its literally what is allowed and what Disney encourages?!?
People are getting upset and mad at a group of people who on every average day is at a hardship or “disadvantage” to almost everyone in the world. Who would give up everything to be living a life with NO disabilities. Its scary how this thread has gone.

I think the point is that someone who lies to get DAS gets a pretty major advantage, which is why so many people do it.

The Mom

Premium Member
View attachment 780732
If you factor in the actual time on the attraction, plus time running from attraction to attraction, the number of rides decreases.

Purduevian

Sorry this is Not abuse if you qualify for DAS. This just shows why people would be encouraged to abuse

Tha Realest

The OP explicitly prefaced his comment by referring to someone who has no physical or mental need for DAS; as in, an abuser of the system.

This is where it gets so complicated for me.. as someone with a person who has a family member with extreme special needs… I see him suffer every day and I see my sister and her husband fear for his future and who will take care of him when they are gone… and all these other issues and challenges that people with “typical”children don’t deal with (I hate the word normal, none of us are lol) …

So when I see these threads I see a lot of posts where people who have all these needs and struggles feel attacked for getting an accommodation that would be an “advantage” if they were not disabled..
and that really hurts my heart.

I know life is hard for those with extra challenges… and personally I (and most people ) wouldn’t have an issue waiting 10 or 20 more minutes to allow these folks some extra magic in their lives…

That said, I also have waited in hot crowded standby lines with a toddler who didn’t have special needs, but was still a handful in that scenario… and it certainly was not fun.

And then I think the big challenge is that while most of us who do not have special needs want to be kind to others that do… I think that the generosity becomes thin when it’s a person with challenges and 7 of their friends .. and then many many groups of others with needs and their friends and family.

It is such a balancing act. And I wouldn’t want to be Disney right now..
but my heart does break for those who need accommodations and feel uncertain.

And I feel for those who would like to not wait in a 3 hour standby line with their children after spending all the time and money to take this trip…

I truly hope that Disney is able to offer those who help the help they need, while also keeping the waits of other guests more manageable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom