New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

ditzee

You skip the physical line. The whole point of DAS. Many who have utilized it including close friends of mine would most often wait in shops or get a coffee, rest up etc.

It’s those that took advantage of Disney in this case that forced their hand
We did not take advantage of Disney when we rode rides with short lines while waiting for our DAS return. It's what the DAS CM I spoke to last October told me we could do. She also said to read the Disabilities page which said the same.
Had no idea it was something that would step on other people's toes.
Not everything everyone does is to get over on other people.

ditzee

That’s a good point… this is sort of off topic but I do think that Disney (as magical and fun as it is) is unique in that it forces it’s guests to compete with each other for so many things (dinning reservations, LLs, disability accommodations ect) I really don’t know how to fix it, but it’s such a shame because it sort of sours the magic when it’s a constant competition .
Mouse Hunger Games

Happyday

We did not take advantage of Disney when we rode rides with short lines while waiting for our DAS return. It's what the DAS CM I spoke to last October told me we could do. She also said to read the Disabilities page which said the same.
I don't think that was directed at those who truly need DAS but at the outright abusers.

As a DAS user who does buy Genie + i do believe this is one if the biggest “advantages” but Disney would he hard pressed to enforce this because then what happens is they will sell less Genie + imo. Its definitely something that can be looked at and definitely something i feel Disney could get away with legally if they really wanted to pursue this. Again tho party size and re rides are to me the biggest issue that is creating these problems beyond the obvious lack of capacity
I’m not sure that they could prevent DAS users from holding a genie return while waiting for a DAS time…
Only because the DAS is the “standby” for those who need it. And standby guests can be in line and have a Genie return time. I’m not saying they couldn’t do it, but it might get a little tricky for them to justify when they are offering the DAS to access the line and the genie is a paid service that the DaS holder purchased and paid as much as those guests who purchased genie that are in the traditional standby.
That would be interesting to see how all that would work.
But I do agree that a lot of this is party size. Like I posted before, my sister and her family of 6 go to the park and my nephew uses DAS, but they split up and she takes him and then the others go to the standby lines.
Accommodating 2 people isn’t such a hassle, but 6 could take up a large portion of a roller coaster or other low capacity rides. And I’m hearing that some people used DAS for parties that were double digits… clearly that isn’t sustainable.

I don’t think it’s wrong, because Disney encouraged it on their website. But I do understand why some people feel a little frustrated by it since those in the standby line can’t also be riding something else.
And while I don’t think that it’s wrong, it does make DAS more attractive to those willing to lie to get it though

DisneyHead123

One way to fix that is for guests to stop being ride pounders. I've been told multiple times Disney guests are supposed to do more than pound rides all day
I said in an earlier comment, it would be a silver lining if Disney adjusted their thinking and started investing in capacity. Part of the “ride pounding” mentality seems to come from them, as they’ve dropped other entertainment options and even discouraged shopping (which you’d think would be a huge priority!) by discontinuing resort delivery services.

Of course with Genie+ programs they’ll want rides to be a big deal. But if they want to rely more on virtual queue options in various forms, they’ll need places for people to wait other than lines.

SamusAranX

That’s not who I was referring to.

It’s those who would obtain it using shady means or to be a “tour guide”

RamblinWreck

You didn’t do anything wrong and I don’t think anyone outside of a small subset of people would think you did.

Nobody should feel bad about doing the things that Disney encouraged.

Any issues that arose from it are the fault of Disney and the people who deliberately took advantage.

If you didn’t lie and you didn’t use something you didn’t feel you needed, you should never feel bad.

I hope going forward that whatever accommodations you are afforded work for you. And if not, I hope you got some quality family memories out of the old rules while they lasted.

ditzee

You didn’t do anything wrong and I don’t think anyone outside of a small subset of people would think you did.

Nobody should feel bad about doing the things that Disney encouraged.

Any issues that arose from it are the fault of Disney and the people who deliberately took advantage.

If you didn’t lie and you didn’t use something you didn’t feel you needed, you should never feel bad.

I hope going forward that whatever accommodations you are afforded work for you. And if not, I hope you got some quality family memories out of the old rules while they lasted.
Thank you! We have wonderful memories from our Nov. trip and fingers crossed we'll have good ones from our upcoming May trip.
I wish the same for you!

Purduevian

One way to fix that is for guests to stop being ride pounders. I've been told multiple times Disney guests are supposed to do more than pound rides all day
If I want to be a "ride pounder" why can't I enjoy the park the way I want to?
I’m not sure that they could prevent DAS users from holding a genie return while waiting for a DAS time…
Only because the DAS is the “standby” for those who need it. And standby guests can be in line and have a Genie return time. I’m not saying they couldn’t do it, but it might get a little tricky for them to justify when they are offering the DAS to access the line and the genie is a paid service that the DaS holder purchased and paid as much as those guests who purchased genie that are in the traditional standby.
That would be interesting to see how all that would work.
But I do agree that a lot of this is party size. Like I posted before, my sister and her family of 6 go to the park and my nephew uses DAS, but they split up and she takes him and then the others go to the standby lines.
Accommodating 2 people isn’t such a hassle, but 6 could take up a large portion of a roller coaster or other low capacity rides. And I’m hearing that some people used DAS for parties that were double digits… clearly that isn’t sustainable.
It's not that a DAS user shouldn't be able to "hold" a G+ return time while waiting for DAS. My argument (that Splash agrees is a large advantage) is that a DAS user shouldn't be able to "redeem" a LL while waiting for a DAS return time.

Just like a non-DAS user is unable to wait in a standby line while redeeming a LL.

phillip9698

That’s a good point… this is sort of off topic but I do think that Disney (as magical and fun as it is) is unique in that it forces it’s guests to compete with each other for so many things (dinning reservations, LLs, disability accommodations ect) I really don’t know how to fix it, but it’s such a shame because it sort of sours the magic when it’s a constant competition .

Disney could solve the dining situation by doing what almost every other theme/amusement park does, only offer burgers, pizza, and chicken tenders at every dining location. By offering unique offerings, naturally the places offering in demand options will have limited availability. I dont think anyone wanting hot dogs, chicken tenders, or pizza at Disney has ever had a problem with finding a place to eat easily.

TrainsOfDisney

Disney could solve the dining situation by doing what almost every other theme/amusement park does, only offer burgers, pizza, and chicken tenders at every dining location. By offering unique offerings, naturally the places offering in demand options will have limited availability. I dont think anyone wanting hot dogs, chicken tenders, or pizza at Disney has ever had a problem with finding a place to eat easily.
Is this a real suggestion? Take away the places that people want to eat?

Jrb1979

If I want to be a "ride pounder" why can't I enjoy the park the way I want to?
I didn't say you can't enjoy the park that way. It's how my family enjoys the parks.

The point I was making is many here always say Disney isn't for ride pounders, that there is much more to do than rides all day.

phillip9698

Is this a real suggestion? Take away the places that people want to eat?

That was not a suggestion, it was an explanation and a comparison.

I’m saying that the reason there is competition for certain things, in this example food, is because some of the items in question are unique. It’s a lot more difficult to ensure 100% of the guests who want sit down japanese/sushi are able to obtain tables at their desired time than to just put chicken tender/hamburger/pizza locations everywhere. Which is what almost every other amusement/theme park does instead of going the Disney route.

Last edited:

Purduevian

I’ve never heard the expression “ride pounder” let alone seen many such posts. 🙅‍♀️
Neither had I. I've heard the term "power user" to describe people like myself the go nuts with G+ or previously FP+ modification/refreshing to basically never wait in a standby line. To loop this back around, the kind of day someone like me can get if they get DAS and don't need it would be insane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom