Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

ditzee

Yes. And. I have separate tickets which they said i should be able to get money put back onto my original payment even tho i believe they were non refundable dated tickets
WOW so Disney changed the game and they're not refunding money but giving you gift cards instead? Doesn't make them the company where dreams come true, does it? This is very disappointing.

Splash4eva

WOW so Disney changed the game and they're not refunding money but giving you gift cards instead? Doesn't make them the company where dreams come true, does it? This is very disappointing.
Well to be clear i bought gift cards and paid with them for majority of what i paid already but was told the 200 would be lost. Either way im stuck

Angel Ariel

Nah, Genie+ is really just paid maxpass and maxpass was superior to fast pass. If Genie+ was free it would absolutely be an upgrade from fast pass+.
Genie+ is not Maxpass. Maxpass allowed re-rides as long as there was availability (which in Disneyland, due to the better concentration of rides, there often was), and also included photopass photos (the bigger of the two things being re-rides, obviously).it was also less expensive (at least when we experienced it). $15/person/day was a lot more reasonable.

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

It's not 50-70% of all ride capacity. It's 50-70% of LL capacity. They are not equal.
LL capacity is 80 - 95 percent of overall ride capacity (usually closer to 95 than 80 since most days are busy). That translates to 40-71 percent of overall ride capacity (since the LL number quoted was 50-75, not 50-70).

Fido Chuckwagon

Yes. And. I have separate tickets which they said i should be able to get money put back onto my original payment even tho i believe they were non refundable dated tickets
Well that’s always the risk with using gift cards. Disney is great about giving people refunds outside of their refund windows if you give them a good reason, but all they can really do is refund it to the original payment. It’s not like those gift cards have no value.

Fido Chuckwagon

No, they’re refunding to gift cards when gift cards were used to make the initial purchase. Also just holy moly at complaining about this. I would bet anything this user used something like the Target hack to get the gift cards at 5 percent off, which is fine, but that’s always the risk you run of doing that. The risk is that if you ever need a refund all you’re ever going to get is a refund back to those gift cards where you paid 95 cents on the dollar.

phillip9698

Hard disagree.

Compassion seems to be in short supply in this thread.

It’s funny how compassion seems to only work one way. Compassion does not equal “give me everything I want no questions asked, damn how it affects anyone else”.

I would say the people who have family members who can wait in queues without an issue, qualify for DAS, but don’t apply for it, are showing compassion for the people who actually really need it. And that’s where the focus should be, making sure the people who NEED it are able to be accommodated. Too many posts are focused on complaining about taking the service away from people who HAVE it and not on who NEEDS it.

The parks simply can’t continue to operate with the current policy in place and accommodate EVERYONE.

Last edited:

Happyday

The problem here needs to be addressed analytically; feeling bad isn't going to solve anything. I'm frustrated because much of what has been said here about the ADA requirements is not true - it's nothing more than wishful thinking which helps nothing. Maybe it's the frustration that sounds harsh. People often believe the law protects them to a much greater degree than it actually does.

Disney simply cannot continue with its current policies. As noted earlier, the ADA does not address line accommodations. Disney tried GAC and then DAS and both were unsustainable, not only because of abuse, but also because of an aging population and more persons coming within the ADA definition of disabled.

Disney's between a rock and a hard place. If the statistics set out earlier in this thread are even close to accurate (and I believe they are because they are in line with the type of evidence presented in A.L. v. Walt Disney World Resorts), Disney's going to lose not only its disabled guests but everyone else as well if it doesn't handle this problem.

It seems that Disney is trying to get many of the people who had DAS back into lines with another, lesser accommodation that - even if it's not DAS - might work for them. We don't know, and it's possible Disney doesn't want to say too much too soon to avoid tipping off potential abusers.

Emotions can run high in a thread like this one and one thoughtless response (of which I am guilty) can lead to more of the same.
I agree, my thoughts as I read this though was about the tipping off potential abusers (just to be clear I have said the same thing) Unfortunately as soon as this goes into practice those abusers are going to be tipped off.

DisneyCane

I believe it just says that they need a "reasonable accommodation".

So certainly some gray area there. But if you can show that your disabled guests are able to experience just as much in a day as your non-disabled guests, then that must mean that they are being reasonably accommodated.
The actual wording is that they can't discriminate against people with disabilities and that they have to provide equal access as someone without a disability.
The way it is worded leaves it very open to interpretation by the judiciary about what they actually have to do with respect to accommodate people with autism or similar developmental disabilities.
The origins of the ADA were to allow disabled people to participate in society by doing reasonable things to provide access to employment and public accommodations.
An airline doesn't have to give free upgrades to first class because an autistic person gets triggered by being too close to a a stranger.

Splash4eva

Well that’s always the risk with using gift cards. Disney is great about giving people refunds outside of their refund windows if you give them a good reason, but all they can really do is refund it to the original payment. It’s not like those gift cards have no value.
Yes agreed and they have value understood. Just if i choose not to go i am sitting on a good amt of money

Hockey89

It’s funny how compassion seems to only work one way. Compassion does not equal “give me everything I want no questions asked, damn how it affects anyone else”.

I would say the people who have family members who can wait in queues without an issue, qualify for DAS, but don’t apply for it, are showing compassion for the people who actually really need it.

The parks simply can’t continue to operate with the current policy in place and accommodate EVERYONE.
Correct. What I need to try to get a job while on welfare. The horror. Non DAS people are getting screwed by this and the DAS only want their special treatment. Do some need it. You bet and they should have it. 100%. The rest that don’t actually need it will still go to Disney.

DisneyHead123

Oh yeah I know... the numbers that were shared before about DAS usage in Lightning Lane absolutely makes sense and I'm not at all disputing that. The problem is the claim that there is widespread abuse occuring when people with DAS are joining standby lines while waiting for their DAS return (basically double dipping). There is no real evidence to suggest this is as big an issue as anyone here makes it out.

If there is no real abuse occuring, the only thing any potential DAS change will do, is force people from the Lightning Lane to the standby. Which effectively means the wait times will not change. So no one really ends up ahead.
I agree, I think any changes to DAS primarily help Disney make more money, there will be pretty much no benefit to standby users.

I also question the claims of rampant cheating. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it happens, maybe substantially. But I also think part of the rise in DAS use is just a very different mindset regarding accommodations in younger people. I don’t see that changing, and I think Disney will get a ton of pushback from younger Millennials and Gen Z on these upcoming changes.

sblank

I also question the claims of rampant cheating. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it happens, maybe substantially. But I also think part of the rise in DAS use is just a very different mindset regarding accommodations in younger people. I don’t see that changing, and I think Disney will get a ton of pushback from younger Millennials and Gen Z on these upcoming changes.
There are multiple families in my kid's kindergarten class alone that have used an "online tour guide company" to book "fastpasses" for them while they're in the parks. I was very confused about how this was possible with the Genie+ system until I did some digging and it turns out they are really just selling DAS access. I had no idea this was a thing but it's become a huge problem, hence the changes.

Splash4eva

There are multiple families in my kid's kindergarten class alone that have used an "online tour guide company" to book "fastpasses" for them while they're in the parks. I was very confused about how this was possible with the Genie+ system until I did some digging and it turns out they are really just selling DAS access. I had no idea this was a thing but it's become a huge problem, hence the changes.
Its disgusting but explain to me how Disney could NOT easily sniff this out?

Disstevefan1

Disney has more levers in place to be able to manipulate Genie+ inventory to keep lines moving. They can control whether or not the system gets overwhelmed.
Lets see how it goes. The number one priority for Disney is MONEY. Lets see how they regulate Genie+ and ILL sales to ensure the queues do not balloon to what they are now with all the "DAS abuse".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom