Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
There's no "answer" here. Disney could hire a team of Quants to analyze, disect, and create the "perfect policy". Problem is that "the perfect policy" doesn't exist.

You can't be proactive, having the expectation of satisfying everyone's concerns and needs. And that's because they are so varied.

The best you can hope for is for a common sense approach and to then reactively tweak and modify where needed. I'm the first to bash Disney for some of the bonehead decisions they've made, but I also realize they are also put in positions that no matter what they do, they'll be criticized.

The number one objective here should be to noticeably cut down on the fraud. There's no way they'll ever completely eliminate it.

Something like how the app handles check-in for dining could make the system a bit more balanced; i.e. when it says you're too far from the restaurant to check-in, it could say you're too far to join a queue as well. It would solve another piece of the puzzle for making the DAS experience closer to the standby one, but I'd hate for those who need this specific level of accommodation to lose it.
That’s true, for some people on the spectrum they can’t see the attraction until they are going to be able to get on it. So your right, it would make the park not doable for some

Chi84

Premium Member
I really feel for prior DAS users that have trips booked during the rollout period. they are facing a good deal on uncertainty right now in trying to plan their visits. That has to be stressful for anyone planning travel with a disability.

The problem here needs to be addressed analytically; feeling bad isn't going to solve anything. I'm frustrated because much of what has been said here about the ADA requirements is not true - it's nothing more than wishful thinking which helps nothing. Maybe it's the frustration that sounds harsh. People often believe the law protects them to a much greater degree than it actually does.

Disney simply cannot continue with its current policies. As noted earlier, the ADA does not address line accommodations. Disney tried GAC and then DAS and both were unsustainable, not only because of abuse, but also because of an aging population and more persons coming within the ADA definition of disabled.

Disney's between a rock and a hard place. If the statistics set out earlier in this thread are even close to accurate (and I believe they are because they are in line with the type of evidence presented in A.L. v. Walt Disney World Resorts), Disney's going to lose not only its disabled guests but everyone else as well if it doesn't handle this problem.

It seems that Disney is trying to get many of the people who had DAS back into lines with another, lesser accommodation that - even if it's not DAS - might work for them. We don't know, and it's possible Disney doesn't want to say too much too soon to avoid tipping off potential abusers.

Emotions can run high in a thread like this one and one thoughtless response (of which I am guilty) can lead to more of the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
It still hate this.

I wonder if it would have worked if they had made these changes instead.

Remove all pre booking.

Limit DAS to three uses a day.

This ensures that all disabled people still receive accommodations and will be able to experience the attractions most important to them that day.

It also greatly reduces any reward for abusers.

It might have been a happy middle ground but maybe it runs into legal trouble ?
Yeah, I see what you mean that it would deter fakers… but Disney can’t limit how often a DAS holder uses the DAS card…. Because it is meant to offer equal access to the standby line, so they would have to limit all users (das and non das) to 3 rides a day
But I do think they will cut down on those using the pass and hopefully that helps. And I also am certain Disney is still going to accommodate ALL disabilities (just maybe not the same way)

Splash4eva

I really feel for prior DAS users that have trips booked during the rollout period. they are facing a good deal on uncertainty right now in trying to plan their visits. That has to be stressful for anyone planning travel with a disability.
Ive already been told i would lose my deposit bc it is within 30 days and money would go back to my gift cards i used which would be sitting there for God knows how long. Not to mention my airfare and car rental.

Tha Realest

The problem here needs to be addressed analytically; feeling bad isn't going to solve anything. I'm frustrated because much of what has been said here about the ADA requirements is not true - it's nothing more than wishful thinking which helps nothing. Maybe it's the frustration that sounds harsh. People often believe the law protects them to a much greater degree than it actually does.

Disney simply cannot continue with its current policies. As noted earlier, the ADA does not address line accommodations. Disney tried GAC and then DAS and both were unsustainable, not only because of abuse, but also because of an aging population and more persons coming within the ADA definition of disabled.

Disney's between a rock and a hard place. If the statistics set out earlier in this thread are even close to accurate (and I believe they are because they are in line with the type of evidence presented in A.L. v. Walt Disney World Resorts), Disney's going to lose not only its disabled guests but everyone else as well if it doesn't handle this problem.

It seems that Disney is trying to get many of the people who had DAS back into lines with another, lesser accommodation that - even if it's not DAS - might work for them. We don't know, and it's possible Disney doesn't want to say too much too soon to avoid tipping off potential abusers.

Emotions can run high in a thread like this one and one thoughtless response (of which I am guilty) can lead to more of the same.
Yeah. It’s pretty galling for some on here to accuse others of “lacking compassion” when many are really just trying to level set and reorient everyone to what is really required, and not just think of the changes from the perspective of really sad situations. After all, if we’re talking compassion, there are countless ways your weeks’ worth of time and money at WDW can be helping the less needy - DAS and non-DAS alike. Let’s cut the nonsense with that talk.

ditzee

Yes. And. I have separate tickets which they said i should be able to get money put back onto my original payment even tho i believe they were non refundable dated tickets
WOW so Disney changed the game and they're not refunding money but giving you gift cards instead? Doesn't make them the company where dreams come true, does it? This is very disappointing.

Splash4eva

WOW so Disney changed the game and they're not refunding money but giving you gift cards instead? Doesn't make them the company where dreams come true, does it? This is very disappointing.
Well to be clear i bought gift cards and paid with them for majority of what i paid already but was told the 200 would be lost. Either way im stuck

Angel Ariel

Nah, Genie+ is really just paid maxpass and maxpass was superior to fast pass. If Genie+ was free it would absolutely be an upgrade from fast pass+.
Genie+ is not Maxpass. Maxpass allowed re-rides as long as there was availability (which in Disneyland, due to the better concentration of rides, there often was), and also included photopass photos (the bigger of the two things being re-rides, obviously).it was also less expensive (at least when we experienced it). $15/person/day was a lot more reasonable.

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

It's not 50-70% of all ride capacity. It's 50-70% of LL capacity. They are not equal.
LL capacity is 80 - 95 percent of overall ride capacity (usually closer to 95 than 80 since most days are busy). That translates to 40-71 percent of overall ride capacity (since the LL number quoted was 50-75, not 50-70).

Fido Chuckwagon

Yes. And. I have separate tickets which they said i should be able to get money put back onto my original payment even tho i believe they were non refundable dated tickets
Well that’s always the risk with using gift cards. Disney is great about giving people refunds outside of their refund windows if you give them a good reason, but all they can really do is refund it to the original payment. It’s not like those gift cards have no value.

Fido Chuckwagon

No, they’re refunding to gift cards when gift cards were used to make the initial purchase. Also just holy moly at complaining about this. I would bet anything this user used something like the Target hack to get the gift cards at 5 percent off, which is fine, but that’s always the risk you run of doing that. The risk is that if you ever need a refund all you’re ever going to get is a refund back to those gift cards where you paid 95 cents on the dollar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom