Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Ayla

Have you considered:
1. Using a mobility device for your mother including in the queue’s?
2. Utilizing Disney’s “return to queue” service to make sure your mother can take frequent breaks;
3. Purchasing Genie+ for your mother and yourself to avoid lines; and
4. Utilizing Rider Switch so that your mother doesn’t have to wait in the longer lines?

It does sound like the new rules will preclude your mother if she doesn’t have a “developmental disability or similar,” however it also sounds like there are other reasonable accommodations that can be made to ensure that you and she still have an enjoyable experience.
5. Not going when it is 100+ degrees and high humidity?

Fido Chuckwagon

Not sure how thats the case but okay. I dont go to Disney to people watch. There are plenty of things i can do otherwise if i need to kill some time. All of which involves spending money so Disney loves me lol
Well I don’t go to Disney to stand in line. There are plenty of other things I can do otherwise if I need to kill some time. All of which involves spending money so Disney loves me lol.

Do you see the problem?

Angel Ariel

Then you should be fine under the new system. Your daughter is exactly who DAS is intended for now, and, candidly, you should have a better DAS experience with shorter LL waits (and standby return times!) with other abuse weeded out.
As I said..the issue is the "shoulds" and the "might"...it's the unknown. It causes anxiety, as was the point of my post. I do think she should still qualify, but now it's a question mark vs a known quantity. It won't be a known quantity until our next trip, which we don't have planned yet.

Splash4eva

Have you considered:
1. Using a mobility device for your mother including in the queue’s?
2. Utilizing Disney’s “return to queue” service to make sure your mother can take frequent breaks;
3. Purchasing Genie+ for your mother and yourself to avoid lines; and
4. Utilizing Rider Switch so that your mother doesn’t have to wait in the longer lines?

It does sound like the new rules will preclude your mother if she doesn’t have a “developmental disability or similar,” however it also sounds like there are other reasonable accommodations that can be made to ensure that you and she still have an enjoyable experience.
Time will tell. Im going in June & honestly not sure how ill proceed. My Mom sadly most likely will not come if there is any uncertainty

Fido Chuckwagon

As I said..the issue is the "shoulds" and the "might"...it's the unknown. It causes anxiety, as was the point of my post. I do think she should still qualify, but now it's a question mark vs a known quantity. It won't be a known quantity until our next trip, which we don't have planned yet.
I really don’t think it should be a question mark and I think this falls into the category of people who keep assuming the worst of Disney despite Disney having a really good track record of being extremely disability friendly. I understand the anxiety, but I really think you’re going to be fine. Like, if I gambled, I’d wager you $100 at pretty good odds that you will be approved. Their website literally carves out developmental disabilities, which is what your daughter suffers from. This does not appear to be targeted at (especially children) with developmental disabilities, nor should it be.

Disstevefan1

Disney’s not pulling the trigger on this unless it’s someone offering a disability tour service. This verbiage is there to try to scare abusers away.
Makes sense. The more regular folks they can scare away, the more Genie+ they can sell.

In my opinion, once this is fully in place, there will be a short period of time where all wait times (LL and standby) will be lower because there wont be all the DAS folks slowing the lighting lane and thereby slowing the standby.

BUT THEN, Disney will increase the number of Genie+ they sell daily and we will be RIGHT where we were before the DAS change as far as wait times for both LL and standby, but the difference is Disney will be selling more Genie+ and making more money!

Fido Chuckwagon

Time will tell. Im going in June & honestly not sure how I’ll proceed. My Mom sadly most likely will not come if there is any uncertainty
I just did WDW with my wife’s Aunt and Uncle. My uncle is pretty disabled and likely would have qualified for DAS. He can barely walk, can’t stand for long periods of time, has breathing issues, can’t handle the sun or the heat, etc. It was very slow going but we did just fine with Genie+ and strategically doing attractions close together (in Epcot we did the seas, then every attraction in the land pavilion, then he took a break and hung out in the land pavilion while we went on figment).

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Like, only 30 days before, too. Which is even more difficult on guests who have the additional planning that comes with disability

lazyboy97o

NO ONE is saying that there aren't people who need DAS. We're friends with a family that used the GAC until queues could accommodate a power chair (ventilator-dependent 90% of the time), so they likely used DAS at some point after it was introduced. It's the people who abuse the system who are being called into question.

For someone who says they use DAS, you're rather defensive about it being abused. If I didn't know better, you sound like someone at risk of losing their free lunch.
The problem is that nobody has really proposed a solid method of identifying abuse. Instead, the discussed solutions are consistently to limit accommodations and institute more barriers to access; to make things more miserable for all users in order to drive down use and even end visitation.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I just did WDW with my wife’s Aunt and Uncle. My uncle is pretty disabled and likely would have qualified for DAS. He can barely walk, can’t stand for long periods of time, has breathing issues, can’t handle the sun or the heat, etc. It was very slow going but we did just fine with Genie+ and strategically doing attractions close together (in Epcot we did the seas, then every attraction in the land pavilion, then he took a break and hung out in the land pavilion while we went on figment).

This is what we do too. One chunk of park at a time. Before i became disabled we’d zigzag all over for fastpasses. But now we’re slower and i need break’s and i don’t have any ability to zigzag the parks.

Honestly the slower we go the more fun we seem to have on the trips. I do miss the ability to zigzag though.

Splash4eva

Thats fine. Good for you. If i need to go elsewhere for Fathers day weekend ill find something. Again this is a discussion board and im doing just that. Im not going on a vacation and giving someone my money with an uncertainty on how my trip will be.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
The problem is that nobody has really proposed a solid method of identifying abuse. Instead, the discussed solutions are consistently to limit accommodations and institute more barriers to access; to make things more miserable for all users in order to drive down use and even end visitation.

Okay. But NONE OF US WITH FOR DISNEY 😂 like of course we can’t solve the problem. It’s not our field of expertise and we’re don’t have all the facts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom