New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
people who legit qualify for DAS are now concerned they're going to be the baby thrown out with the bathwater - caught up in something unintended, yet bad nonetheless.

Dd has a developmental disability, and yeah is impacted to such a degree we *shouldnt* have an issue. But the unknown leads to anxiety. And tbh, we have enough anxiety and unknowns every day. I can see why anxiety comes across as defensiveness, but it's unnecessary to equate that to these are the people who are abusing it.

That's 100% fair.

TrainsOfDisney

this kinda reminds me of the chips in the cups at the soda machines. It costs just as much for the cups and technology as they were losing on some syrup, makes extra work for the CM’s to explain and troubleshoot the system, and annoys the guests paying.

In the end… it’s some coke syrup, just let it go.

If there is obvious abuse, stop it, but don’t make it more difficult for the guests that really need it.

seabreezept813

Not really though. Right now, a DAS user taps into, let’s say ROTR, and immediately can grab another ride. Let’s say MMRR has a 60 minute queue at that point. Right off the top the DAS user is getting around 10 minutes chopped off that wait. The DAS user still needs to wait in the ROTR LL queu, make their way through the pre-shows, and ride the actual ride. Let’s call that process 25 minutes. The DAS user then needs to make their way over to MMRR, maybe they stop for the bathroom on the way over. By the time they get to MMRR their DAS is ready to go.

Years ago I got a bonus 6 anytime fast passes for recovery due to a fairly significant hotel screwup. In a day at the magic kingdom with my family of four including two young children, even with basically unlimited fastpasses, I could not do more than 1 ride every 50 minutes or so. The DAS users are not “waiting” in any kind of real sense for the vast majority of rides under the current system. This is why it needed to change. Even tiny changes like adding a 10 minute cooldown between tapping into a ride and booking the next one are positive steps.
A window between being able to book DAS makes sense. Some of what is offered doesn’t even work if you truly need DAS. Like the pre books-most of the time you can’t make that exact window. And a gap between booking DAS like say you can book one every hour or 2 would probably still work efficiently for true DAS users who need bathroom, food, stimulation breaks. Those types of changes would feel less like punishing people who can benefit from DAS, than just ignoring or minimizing disabilities/heath changes.

Fido Chuckwagon

Just thinking about this.

So Disney said it would ban folks who falsely use DAS.

That means Disney initially approve a faker for them to abuse the system.

We know Disney wants NO paperwork about a persons disability.

So then Disney approves a legitimate disabled person for DAS. Some time later Disney thinks this person is faking and bans them for life.

The legitimately disabled person sues Disney and at trial presents a doctor with PROPER MEDICAL PROOF OF DISABILITY!

I find it hard to believe Disney could win that one.
Disney’s not pulling the trigger on this unless it’s someone offering a disability tour service. This verbiage is there to try to scare abusers away.

Fido Chuckwagon

How long did they have to wait for ROTR in this scenario? You make it sound like it was already 0 minutes when they were issued the DAS return.
Not at all if they put even a little planning and timed their prebooks so that they did the prebooks during the countdown for ROTR from the moment they scanned into the park. Maybe they also stopped and watched a show.

Splash4eva

Are you admitting you’re one of the exhibit A’s as to why they are making the changes?
Again i am literally on record stating Disney should require proof if they really wanted to eliminate this problem. My Mom & Myself both have documentation if you really need to know… when GA put this into effect the 1st time going i was given access then had to sign up and was approved by that 3rd party. So keep making assumptions.

ConfettiCupcake

For God's sake, let them have an advantage for once in their lives. They already struggle enough every day, they can't have a nice day at WDW?

Sorry to snip your post, just wanted to make it clear what I was referencing.

This is the part that I think is going unsaid much of this back and forth, but I think it’s such a slippery slope. Throughout this, I keep thinking about frequency of visits. While we’re here on this board (where many of us are WDW regulars and have experienced everything they have to offer that interests us multiple times) squabbling about how many attractions we should be able to access in a day, there are people who due to issues sometimes beyond their control (like finances) might have a day or two at WDW ever in their lifetimes. We are all undoubtedly experiencing more with our multiple days there over the course of multiple vacations.

There are so many people out there who deserve good and advantages. That’s why I think this loses focus when it goes beyond access of a single attraction.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, I just don’t think the average guest is getting 10 attractions in a day in (or anything close to that) unless we are counting “saw a parade,” “saw a cavalcade,” “waived to Mickey standing in the train station” as an attraction.
Not for years

That’s didn’t mean it’s technically impossible

We saw all the claims of getting 14 fastpasses a day…
But at what cost?

I don’t tolerate that many headaches/work WHEN IM WORKING

The last 2 systems don’t allow enough availability to get much.

The best way was always OG fastpass for 2 or so headliners and standbys around them.

Simpler, better days

Fido Chuckwagon

Not sure what that has to do with anything. You do realize majority of DAS DO need it correct? The ignorance on these boards are beyond at times. Smfh
You complained that you didn’t want to have to sit and people watch while waiting for your DAS return time because that’s “boring.” This poster had a perfectly valid response to you.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Again i am literally on record stating Disney should require proof if they really wanted to eliminate this problem. My Mom & Myself both have documentation if you really need to know… when GA put this into effect the 1st time going i was given access then had to sign up and was approved by that 3rd party. So keep making assumptions.
If you and your mom have documentation, then why are you upset over these changes being made?

Splash4eva

You complained that you didn’t want to have to sit and people watch while waiting for your DAS return time because that’s “boring.” This poster had a perfectly valid response to you.
Not sure how thats the case but okay. I dont go to Disney to people watch. There are plenty of things i can do otherwise if i need to kill some time. All of which involves spending money so Disney loves me lol

TeriofTerror

1. Some people legitimately need DAS.
2. *SOME* of those people unfairly game the system.
3. Even legitimate use of the system can negatively impact other guests on occasion, such as large parties tagging along with the DAS guest.
4. Some people who don't need DAS get it anyway because they are lying, entitled jerks who think the rules shouldn't apply to them.
Disney realizes group one and non DAS-guests are being negatively impacted by groups 2-4 and feel a change is needed, both for the benefit of the non-cheating guests and Disney's bottom line. Disney is a company and their job is to make money; I can't fault them for that. Therefore, Disney is going to try some changes to see if they help. It's in Disney's best interest to try to provide the best experience possible for all guests, so maybe we can wait to see:
A. If anyone with legitimate issues suffers due to the new policies, and
B. If the changes improve the overall situation -
before getting our knickers in a royal twist?

Fido Chuckwagon

Im concerned that my Mom with her condition doesnt pass out and faint in the park again like she did when she was stubborn and refused it ages ago….
Have you considered:
1. Using a mobility device for your mother including in the queue’s?
2. Utilizing Disney’s “return to queue” service to make sure your mother can take frequent breaks;
3. Purchasing Genie+ for your mother and yourself to avoid lines; and
4. Utilizing Rider Switch so that your mother doesn’t have to wait in the longer lines?

It does sound like the new rules will preclude your mother if she doesn’t have a “developmental disability or similar,” however it also sounds like there are other reasonable accommodations that can be made to ensure that you and she still have an enjoyable experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom