New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

lazyboy97o

The difference is DAS users can enter a virtual queue even after regular Fastpass is sold out for the day. They can also enter a virtual queue at any time, without being restricted to four hours later or whatever the availability is at the time.

Hence, the program could result in unexpected wait times for the regular line, particularly at low capacity attractions like Peter Pan.
Take FastPass and Genie+ out of it. That’s not what is being accommodated. DAS was still available when the parks reopened before Genie+ debuted.

Anyone can enter the standby queue and the same is true of those being accommodated because that is what the accommodation is for.

There is no reason for the program to result in unexpected wait times. Disney does real time tracking and counting of standby queues. They know how many people are in the queue and where in the queue. They could easily add in a virtual person to their standby information whenever a DAS return time is requested.

Happyday

By that logic, should children in wheelchairs not be allowed because theme parks, 'classically', involve walking long distances? Should braille be removed because theme parks typically involve reading and sight seeing? That people with disabilities are not going to experience something in a way that is 100% cookie cutter and archetypal seems like it's pretty much part and parcel with what the definition of 'disability' is. Why should lines and noise be considered the 'core' experience of a theme park, as opposed to meeting Mickey and Minnie, riding Small World, eating in the castle, watching a parade, etc.?

Also, keep in mind that a lot of kids on the spectrum have a tendency towards “special interests” or are passionate about only a few things, so it’s not always a matter of just taking them somewhere else that a neurotypical kid would find fun. Options are often much more limited.

Here's the thing. If a child was miserable throughout the entire experience, yes, of course it would be horrible to drag them through a theme park. But of all the potential abuses of DAS out there, this one strikes me as extraordinarily unlikely - “selfish” parents dragging an escalated, tantruming or possibly aggressive child through Disney so that they, the parent, can live it up taking selfies on Thunder Mountain in their rose gold ears. That sounds like smashing your hand repeatedly with a hammer to score painkillers. I’m not saying no one does it, but if they do, they have a serious problem. Trust me when I say that dealing with autistic meltdowns is... no one’s idea of a good time. That doesn't mean that parents don't have different stances on the 'right' way to raise their child. Some parents will be big on getting their child out and exposing them to the world even if it's really hard, some will really avoid situations that might be triggering for their child. There will be a range of opinions on that. But what I don't see is a ton of parents who will drag their child out to a place where they will be pointlessly escalated because that would be a fun thing for them, the parent.
AMEN 💯 Thank you so much this is what I have been trying to get across! Hopefully your response will be taken to heart. Most parents will do rider swap if their child doesn't want to go just like every other 'good' parent.

RamblinWreck

Yes but again they still have to wait the same wait time so it is like there are invisible people in the standby line. So just pretend the DAS users are standing in front of you the whole time.
But they don’t, really, and that’s why it’s so appealing to the cheaters.

It may take them as long to get on that specific ride, but they aren’t waiting. They might be riding another ride or two. Or any number of things.

Wendy Pleakley

Yes but again they still have to wait the same wait time so it is like there are invisible people in the standby line. So just pretend the DAS users are standing in front of you the whole time.

The wait times are based on the standby length and number of LL that have been issued for that period.

DAS users can add to that LL total unexpectedly.

For high capacity attractions it's not likely an issue, but low capacity Fantasyland attractions could see wait times spike unexpectedly.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You don't have to believe me. But I'm confident the real number is significantly higher than 60% at some rides.

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

lazyboy97o

If they were, ironically, the standby line would be moving much faster because it wouldn't be stopping constantly to let 90% of the ride capacity walk by on the G+/ILL side.

Also, you keep mentioning in other posts that they gave the exact wait time as the return and maybe that is what you have experienced but others who used the system have commented on having a reduced time.
It’s 20 minutes (maybe 15, can’t recall for certain) less than the posted wait time to account for the Lightning Lane not having immediate front of line access. There’s no discretion involved as it is all automated based on the posted wait time. That also means that any of the many times where a posted wait time is higher than actuality, a person using DAS is getting a return time based on that higher posted wait time.

Happyday

If they were, ironically, the standby line would be moving much faster because it wouldn't be stopping constantly to let 90% of the ride capacity walk by on the G+/ILL side.

Also, you keep mentioning in other posts that they gave the exact wait time as the return and maybe that is what you have experienced but others who used the system have commented on having a reduced time.
Theoretically yes but some of those are Genie + 🤷🏻‍♀️
Well I guess since we are not worrying about when we can return since we tend to not make it back to the line immediately when we are allowed (we are taking this opportunity to deal with medical and/or needs for restroom which can take as long as it takes in line for 7DMT😝) we may not be noticing a lesser time. Which makes me start to think whether this may also be why sometimes it is a higher rate of DAS returns, not all DAS recipients go to the LL as soon as their time is up?

Splash4eva

Oh I agree. But I think that ties back into party size

Let's say there are 100,000 ppl total in the park

10,000 of them have a DAS pass. But those 10,000 ppl who have the pass also each have 3 others of that 90,000 other guests who are joining them

So now, of that original 100,000, 40,000 are using DAS in the lightning lane. And 60,000 ppl are split between G+ and Standby. Meaning more guests could be using the "faster" option than just standby on any given day. Which just breaks the system entirely and no one is happy(especially those paying extra for G+)
That's the issue. And unfortunately, it really doesn't have an easy fix. Either sell less G+ (they won't, and we don't even really know how how much they sell.) Or, in fact, the only other "easy" fix(not saying I like it), is to create less guest load on the DAS system by not having as many ppl with DAS and coming up with alternatives.

Those numbers are too simple and hypothetical,but I hope it gets the idea across
Im wondering if they can say add in a return window for DAS where you cant ride within the wait time but book something at a later time if the slots are booked solid and then say after an hour book another after an hour…

Happyday

But they don’t, really, and that’s why it’s so appealing to the cheaters.

It may take them as long to get on that specific ride, but they aren’t waiting. They might be riding another ride or two. Or any number of things.
Absolutely the cheaters are going to do whatever they can to cheat the system.

SamusAranX

So what is your suggested alternative?

I know it’s not suggesting if you “really need it” you get walked on…because that isn’t gonna fly.

The problem is in Orlando getting on a ride takes “work” due to mismanagement. That is what’s creating the chaos and causing a raging debate for what would never be an issue if the parks were equipped properly.
This. As with almost every other issue in the parks, Disney put themselves here.

Vegas Disney Fan

So might the problem be charging $150 for a ticket, $35 for a booking system, and $18 for one ride on a “headliner” that is likely not very good?

I loathe the current system, they’re essentially admitting they can’t raise admission prices any higher without attendance declining so they’ve found a loophole that gets us in the gate and then encourages us to pay more to make it less miserable.

The old bait and switch.

There’s 3 steps that might fix this issue:
1. More capacity
2. Limit genie sales
3. Reduce DAS use

They won’t do the first 2…so all the heat is directed to 3

I’d settle for a higher ticket prices that include MaxPass. Everyone is back to being on the same level (minus VIP tours) without feeling like you’re nickel and dimed at every turn.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the problem is you can backload it like maxpass

Go to 5 rides and get virtual queue…wait it out for a little bit and then rapid fire them

But I’m not that familiar with it so I’d appreciate insight?

Dranth

This. As with almost every other issue in the parks, Disney put themselves here.
Blaming Disney ignores that this same thing happened many years ago when the number of visitors was significantly lower but capacity was roughly the same. It also doesn't explain why the exact same problems were happening at Universal and Six Flags.

I think we all agree Disney should have been building more but they are not required to build enough capacity to satisfy some human garbage that doesn't want to wait in a line even though they can. These people aren't stealing to feed a starving family, they just don't want to wait in the line everyone else has to at an optional, discretionary vacation spot that they made a CHOICE to go to knowing the rules.

Splash4eva

I think the problem is you can backload it like maxpass

Go to 5 rides and get virtual queue…wait it out for a little bit and then rapid fire them

But I’m not that familiar with it so I’d appreciate insight?
You can only book 1 DAS at a time in park sans the 2 pre booked you have already. Hence why i been saying you need to eliminate them asap. There is nooo need for giving them away. As ive stated the “advantage” lies when you say go to dinner you book something and once you are done you ride asap basically so you were able to “wait” in line while having dinner same with lunch / snacks etc. Also obviously there are rides with little wait times where some can handle. You fill gaps there as well and as i do purchase Genie so you have those as well to use and if you are a “pro” you can max all systems out to get the most of the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom