New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chi84

Premium Member
The fact they are spending tens of millions to redo the already insanely popular Splash Mountain and not add a single person of capacity when that is the core issue affecting the parks just shows you how completely clueless they are to how the parks operate and their entirely misguided priorities.
What does that have to do with DAS? They seem to be trying to do the right thing here by preventing abuse and getting more people into lines with accommodations other than DAS.

Splash4eva

The standard customer isn’t getting much out of genie on an average day. That’s another problem…they can’t sell it as a line skip…but also don’t want to admit you may only get a couple of the worst out of it. That is often the case
Again that was my 1st experience with it. My last 3 trips which were 10/10& 5 days i had tremendous success. Full disclosure i was aware of drop times which definitely helped with the success. I kept a list each day because i was curious what i used Genie vs DAS and was amazed at what we were able to get done

lentesta

Premium Member
This though was under the GAC which did at the end allow true line skipping.

My default assumption would be the same thing's happening now, just based on human behavior. Is there a systematic block in DAS/MDE that would prevent it?

I haven't asked this exact question to others, but if the opportunity pops up, I will.

Splash4eva

Yes that’s great but I’ll tell ya something that I don’t think you will disagree with-

To get the most out of G+ you are glued to your phone the entire day, refreshing wait times and trying to move them earlier etc.

Yes you can game G+, but the game sux and is not fun for the person playing it on their $1400 a day vacation.
100% totally agree. Im with my daughter and my Mom who cant help with booking. So im a divorced Dad on a trip with my daughter stuck on phone at times but i try to do it while in a line or going to the bathroom etc so i can still enjoy my trip & also had alarms set when drops were coming. Not something you really want to have to do while on vacation but sadly needed while at Disney now

Disstevefan1

I didn't see anything about excluding a massive array of actual disabilities. I do think they are trying to better tailor the accommodation to the specific disability, which is really what the ADA is all about when it comes to accommodation.
Once the system is out there and folks with actual disabilities that previously qualified, now no longer qualify, we will hear it and know it.

Grantwil93

Then this is entirely on Disney. They know when return times are requested. They can add that information to the posted wait time.
Maybe I can chime in here and say that this isn't a fully automated system at all.

While the tracking is taking place, almost all wait time adjustments are at the discretion of the Frontline manager on duty in charge of the attraction. And it's based on their own visual judgment of the line and also relies on the CM's at various positions to radio or call them to inform them of line updates.

Then the manager can send a new time to the team that controls wait times. At least at all the rides I've worked at.

The team tracking and updating lines can see the actual wait(what ppl are actually waiting vs the posted time) and can tell the manager that they are over or underposting. But that usually isn't needed.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I propose we stick to the known acronyms and leave the mixing to prescription medication and alcohol.

Here, here. :)

Classic Film Drink GIF by Warner Archive

Splash4eva

What does that have to do with DAS? They seem to be trying to do the right thing here by preventing abuse and getting more people into lines with accommodations other than DAS.
Here is my issue. All this data does NOT on any way shape or form prove any abuse at all. If Lens numbers are to be taken as truth when it comes to the % of guests in LL via DAS then his % of guests that get approved needs to be as well. I bet noone including myself thought the number was that low. Less than 10%. So where is the proof of major abuse? The issue lies with Disney and what they allow when it comes to pre bookings and party size for starters hence why its really hard to believe this is not partly if not majorly being done for another money grab to sell more Genie

Trauma

I propose we stick to the known acronyms and leave the mixing to prescription medication and alcohol.
I know this isn’t relevant to anything but you brought up medicine while I was putting my eye drops in, so I thought I would share.

I just had LASIK vision surgery at 8 this morning and I can already see like I’m 21 again.

Just incase anyone has trouble seeing in this thread, it’s the closest thing to a miracle I’ve experienced.

Sorry for sidetracking back on topic !!

Chi84

Premium Member
You see what you want to see, as is your prerogative.
But what's the point of getting so worked up over something that isn't even in effect yet? Disney has always been one of the most inclusive companies out there when it comes to accommodating disabilities. Do you honestly believe that they are going to ignore every disability that isn't autism or developmental?

They absolutely are trying to get more people with disabilities into their regular lines and accommodate them with a return to line system. That's not excluding them.

lentesta

Premium Member
I know this isn’t relevant to anything but you brought up medicine while I was putting my eye drops in, so I thought I would share.

I just had LASIK vision surgery at 8 this morning and I can already see like I’m 21 again.

Just incase anyone has trouble seeing in this thread, it’s the closest thing to a miracle I’ve experienced.

Not to hijack this thread, but you liked it? I've considered it but the idea of lasers and eyes are giving me the squick.

Splash4eva

Im paranoid to have it done…

Splash4eva

But what's the point of getting so worked up over something that isn't even in effect yet? Disney has always been one of the most inclusive companies out there when it comes to accommodating disabilities. Do you honestly believe that they are going to ignore every disability that isn't autism or developmental?

They absolutely are trying to get more people with disabilities into their regular lines and accommodate them with a return to line system. That's not excluding them.
Im curious. How do you think this return to line will work? What is your take on it in regards to effectiveness and also being a realistic one as well. As im sure you have visited the parks countless times and understand how most of the queues are…

Trauma

Not to hijack this thread, but you liked it? I've considered it but the idea of lasers and eyes are giving me the squick.
Not gonna lie I was a little scared.

But my doctor was amazing, explained the whole process and what I was going to experience.

It’s very fast, less than 15 minutes and you’re done.

I would say that getting a cavity filled at the dentist is worse than this was.

I’m about 9 hours out and already any discomfort I had in my eye is gone and can see super clear.

Only downside is while I’m sleeping I need to wear these goofy goggles for a week, so I don’t poke at my eyes.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

In practice?

So at Peter Pan they tell them to come back in 90 minutes? They don’t back door them?

In our experience, yes, DAS was a virtual queue for Peter Pan. we were not brought in the exit. Even at Disneyland where we do use the exit because the line isn't accessible, you're still given a return time (not an immediate entrance), and the return time is still based off of the standby time so you still have to wait and then come back.

Chi84

Premium Member
Im curious. How do you think this return to line will work? What is your take on it in regards to effectiveness and also being a realistic one as well. As im sure you have visited the parks countless times and understand how most of the queues are…
I have no idea. Unlike some posters, I generally give Disney the benefit of the doubt, especially when it comes to being inclusive and handling disabilities. The company has changed - no question. But there will be time enough to get upset and complain if and when an inadequate system is adopted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom